Capacitors on reels--any tendency for values to cluster?

Started by Phil Hobbs February 20, 2023
On 2023-02-21 15:54, John Larkin wrote:
> [...]
> To do optical measurement to that sort of precision, what do you use > for the light source?
One of two models of LED source, based on either a 7-ns LED ($2) or a 2-ns LED ($50). For simple stuff I usually hang a LED barefoot on a Highland P400 DDG, then dork the pulse height to get the right brightness. Our LED source boxes are coming out Real Soon Now, with a BNC, a wall wart, mounting flanges, laser-inscribed case, perspulex running boards, ion drive, et cetera et cetera. ;) Inside, they're a 74AC14 driving one of the magic fast LEDs, with an AP2205 adjustable LDO providing a stable VDD. Subnanosecond edges, lots of drive, cheap like borscht. That way we get everything out of the LEDs. The AP2205 is a nice part--an adjustable small LDO with 36V max input, 2% accuracy, and _built-in polarity protection_, all for 15 cents. I may switch my allegiance from the venerable LP2951.
> > Here's my photodiode calibrator for the ill-fated LAM project. > > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0gsjeh8m94a0nbs/AAC_uLD7aO5QF6Qat6dR2NoFa?dl=0
Nice pastel green color! Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
> On 21/02/23 11:36, legg wrote: > > On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 15:03:09 -0500, Phil Hobbs > >> It would be convenient to be able to use 0.5% resistors and 5% > >> capacitors. There are 2% caps available in most of the range we want,
Back in the 1970s we had several hundreds 10% 1K TH carbon resistors. I measured a couple hundreds and crudely plotted the bins (years before "spreadsheet" software was all the rage.) Sure enough, the distribution had peaks at roughly +- 10%, and steps at ~5%. Just as everyone had been saying since the ?1950s? So, buy a too-high value, and then discard all the +5% capacitors, to create a single gaussian peak? Heh! OOoo! Build a highspeed machine which rapidly measures a whole spool, then mechanically extracts all the off-value components. Then next, SELL THE MACHINES. (For a much higher price, also offer the machine which re-spools SMT components, where the originating spool has many positions unfilled. Hmmm, maybe such products already exist?)
> The AP2205 is a nice part--an adjustable small LDO with 36V max input, > 2% accuracy, and _built-in polarity protection_, all for 15 cents. I > may switch my allegiance from the venerable LP2951.
That looks like a nice part (the adjustable startup time might be useful), but I don't see anything about reverse polarity protection in the datasheet, only reverse current protection. There is a new product announcement for the part which touts reverse battery protection, but the datsheet is lacking such information. cu Michael -- Some people have no respect of age unless it is bottled.
On 2023-02-28 09:59, Michael Schwingen wrote:
> On 2023-02-21, Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: >> The AP2205 is a nice part--an adjustable small LDO with 36V max input, >> 2% accuracy, and _built-in polarity protection_, all for 15 cents. I >> may switch my allegiance from the venerable LP2951. > > That looks like a nice part (the adjustable startup time might be useful), > but I don't see anything about reverse polarity protection in the datasheet, > only reverse current protection. > > There is a new product announcement for the part which touts reverse battery > protection, but the datsheet is lacking such information. > > cu > Michael >
Yeah, I see that. I don't have any more info either--when they come in I'll try it out. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com