One more step toward perfection

Started by Unknown November 27, 2022
But they didn't discover the "very advanced physics". Giant magnetoresistance and colossal magnetoresistance fell out of academic research https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_magnetoresistance Giant magnetoresistance reading heads are what pushed up hard disk write densities and IBM just exploited it with a bunch of other hard disk makers.
> And quantum computer research as well.
Lots of people are active in quantum computing. IBM doesn't stick out.
> And now these optical switches. > > That bores you? OK, sure.
It does. IBM is great at telling people how clever they are. Like all organisations that have enough money to spend big on blue sky research they do have their moments, but not all that many of them. Their public relations people don't let that inhibit them.
> >- Phil Hobbs would probably still be working for them. > > I am reasonably sure he would / will / has found this interesting > and or informative. Single photon emitters and detectors, etc.
I've got enough sense not to try to second guess Phil Hobbs.
https://www.photonicssociety.org/publications/photonics-journal It's a peer-reviewed scientific journal published by the IEEE. What matters to people like Phil are what components he can buy off the shelf, and academic journals aren't all that forthcoming about that. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
IBM's hallowed name was the clickbait used to trick me into watching a crummy lightspeed CPU video. Clickbait is Unreasonably Effective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2xHZPH5Sng
Anthony William Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in

That is not the type of recording mode I mentioned... at all. I mentioned perpendicular magnetic recording, which ALL hard drive makers now use. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpendicular_recording>
Anthony William Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in

> Lots of people are active in quantum computing. IBM doesn't stick > out. >
Actually, recently... they do.
corvid <bl@ckb.ird> wrote in news:tm5jr2$1u8c$1@gioia.aioe.org:

> On 11/29/22 04:01, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: >> That article you mention turned me off on ever watching anyhting >> they produce, because just from the title alone I feel that they >> are pure clickspam bullshit. > > IBM's hallowed name was the clickbait used to trick me into > watching a crummy lightspeed CPU video. > > Clickbait is Unreasonably Effective > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2xHZPH5Sng >
Nice try. Don't be a chump... oops... too late.
On 11/29/2022 15:19, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 11:49:26 PM UTC+11, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > .... >> And quantum computer research as well. > > Lots of people are active in quantum computing. IBM doesn't stick out.
I really don't understand what quantum computers are all about, definitely not a replacement to "normal" computers. But IBM do get in the news from time to time with that, so they must be at least keeping up.
> >> And now these optical switches. >> >> That bores you? OK, sure. > > It does. IBM is great at telling people how clever they are. Like all organisations that have enough money to spend big on blue sky research they do have their moments, but not all that many of them. Their public relations people don't let that inhibit them.
The video was boring but skimming through its boring explanations (like how a normal transistor works, things all of us have been through in our childhood) gets you to that optical equivalent I just did not know was at all viable. Seems the are making progress. Then IBM have done their fair share in normal computing research, like defining the power architecture during the 80-s. The rest of the computer architectures have yet to catch up, most of them by quite some stretch.
On Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 6:06:17 AM UTC+11, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> Anthony William Sloman <bill....@ieee.org> wrote in > news:56f81bca-1125-466b...@googlegroups.com: > > Lots of people are active in quantum computing. IBM doesn't stick > > out. > > > Actually, recently... they do.
Or say they do. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
The video didn't make me go "Wow". These do better to demonstrate what IBM can do. IBM in atoms https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_%28atoms%29 A Boy And His Atom: The World's Smallest Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSCX78-8-q0

It's all about the Qbits. Everyone started out small. As in low number. Now things are stepping up. IBM is right there at the forefront too. <https://youtu.be/Szw0KwbKowI>

<https://youtu.be/Szw0KwbKowI>