EV Battery Bank bad design

Started by Unknown May 29, 2022
This is way worse than any electric car situation could ever be...

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-yN8SugWM>
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote in news:t70110$g83$1
@gioia.aioe.org:

> This is way worse than any electric car situation could ever be... > > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-yN8SugWM> >
I cannot believe that all of you EV folks did not comment on this.
On Monday, May 30, 2022 at 12:35:54 PM UTC-4, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote in news:t70110$g83$1 > @gioia.aioe.org: > > This is way worse than any electric car situation could ever be... > > > > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-yN8SugWM> > > > I cannot believe that all of you EV folks did not comment on this.
Would you like to see images of gasoline vehicles burning? What is your point? They put batteries in a bus and it burned up. What's your point? -- Rick C. - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote in news:t70110$g83$1 > @gioia.aioe.org: > >> This is way worse than any electric car situation could ever be... >> >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-yN8SugWM> >> > > I cannot believe that all of you EV folks did not comment on this. >
I never look at random youtube links, unless they're accompanied by some rationale for doing that, e.g. "A UFO photobombs an episode of <scotty kilmer or Dan Carlin or somebody> about 8 minutes in." Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
Ricky <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Monday, May 30, 2022 at 12:35:54 PM UTC-4, > DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: >> DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote in news:t70110$g83$1 >> @gioia.aioe.org: >> > This is way worse than any electric car situation could ever >> > be... >> > >> > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-yN8SugWM> >> > >> I cannot believe that all of you EV folks did not comment on >> this. > > Would you like to see images of gasoline vehicles burning? What > is your point? They put batteries in a bus and it burned up. > What's your point? >
WTF is the point of your stupid response?
On 30-May-22 12:46 am, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> This is way worse than any electric car situation could ever be... > > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-yN8SugWM>
Any energy containing system has the potential to release that energy in an uncontrolled way if it is abused, or incorrectly manufactured. What makes you think this one had a bad design? Sylvia.
Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote in

> On 30-May-22 12:46 am, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org > wrote: >> This is way worse than any electric car situation could ever >> be... >> >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-yN8SugWM> > > Any energy containing system has the potential to release that > energy in an uncontrolled way if it is abused, or incorrectly > manufactured. > > What makes you think this one had a bad design? > > Sylvia. >
Each "cell" in the battery at this size level should have had monitoring circuitry to cut it out of an overload condition. So the overload should have "sparked" a massive shutdown, not a massive meltdown.
On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 5:59:37 AM UTC-7, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote in > news:jfmf32...@mid.individual.net: > > On 30-May-22 12:46 am, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org > > wrote: > >> This is way worse than any electric car situation could ever > >> be... > >> > >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-yN8SugWM> > > > > Any energy containing system has the potential to release that > > energy in an uncontrolled way if it is abused, or incorrectly > > manufactured. > > > > What makes you think this one had a bad design? > > > > Sylvia. > > > Each "cell" in the battery at this size level should have had > monitoring circuitry to cut it out of an overload condition. > So the overload should have "sparked" a massive shutdown, not a massive > meltdown.
We don't really know this situation. In case of the Bolt, manufacturing deflect causes short of a powerful cell. Cutting it off won't help. Smaller cells are safer in this regard. 18650 can be shorted and destroyed, but not exploded.
On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 10:27:30 AM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 5:59:37 AM UTC-7, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > > Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote in > > news:jfmf32...@mid.individual.net: > > > On 30-May-22 12:46 am, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org > > > wrote: > > >> This is way worse than any electric car situation could ever > > >> be... > > >> > > >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-yN8SugWM> > > > > > > Any energy containing system has the potential to release that > > > energy in an uncontrolled way if it is abused, or incorrectly > > > manufactured. > > > > > > What makes you think this one had a bad design? > > > > > > Sylvia. > > > > > Each "cell" in the battery at this size level should have had > > monitoring circuitry to cut it out of an overload condition. > > So the overload should have "sparked" a massive shutdown, not a massive > > meltdown. > We don't really know this situation. In case of the Bolt, manufacturing deflect causes short of a powerful cell. Cutting it off won't help. Smaller cells are safer in this regard. 18650 can be shorted and destroyed, but not exploded.
Battery makers are trying to cut costs, and one way to do that is through larger cell sizes. I think VW, or BMW, not sure which, uses a cell about the size of a cigar box. I believe this also lets them give the cell more integrity without lowering the specific energy. -- Rick C. + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging + Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 8:15:31 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 10:27:30 AM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote: > > On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 5:59:37 AM UTC-7, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > > > Sylvia Else <syl...@email.invalid> wrote in > > > news:jfmf32...@mid.individual.net: > > > > On 30-May-22 12:46 am, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org > > > > wrote: > > > >> This is way worse than any electric car situation could ever > > > >> be... > > > >> > > > >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-yN8SugWM> > > > > > > > > Any energy containing system has the potential to release that > > > > energy in an uncontrolled way if it is abused, or incorrectly > > > > manufactured. > > > > > > > > What makes you think this one had a bad design? > > > > > > > > Sylvia. > > > > > > > Each "cell" in the battery at this size level should have had > > > monitoring circuitry to cut it out of an overload condition. > > > So the overload should have "sparked" a massive shutdown, not a massive > > > meltdown. > > We don't really know this situation. In case of the Bolt, manufacturing deflect causes short of a powerful cell. Cutting it off won't help. Smaller cells are safer in this regard. 18650 can be shorted and destroyed, but not exploded. > Battery makers are trying to cut costs, and one way to do that is through larger cell sizes. I think VW, or BMW, not sure which, uses a cell about the size of a cigar box. I believe this also lets them give the cell more integrity without lowering the specific energy.
GM/Bolt cells are long thin rectangular pouch; so, in theory, should have better heat dissipation, other than the manufacturing defect. We have to give them credit for doing the right thing to recall (vehicle), replace (battery) and retool (factory). Let's wait and see.