Forums

Is Maxim now AD? If so, this set of SMPS eval boards is interesting

Started by Phil Hobbs May 20, 2022
<https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/power/linear-regulators/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.html>

Datasheet:
<https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.pdf>

A set of _nine_ nice-looking eval boards for their new analog-focused, 
low quiescent power switching regulators, all for $49 in a nice plastic 
case and all.

Dunno if I'm brave enough to use a Maxim part yet, but some of those 
look vaguely interesting.

Cheers

Phil
-- 
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

yes, since august last year, https://www.analog.com/en/about-adi/maxim-integrated-acquisition.html
Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> yes, since august last year, https://www.analog.com/en/about-adi/maxim-integrated-acquisition.html >
I know AD bought them--what I'm getting at is, "Has Maxim stopped acting like d*ckheads by continually cancelling recently-introduced products just when you're going into production?" Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
On Fri, 20 May 2022 13:25:38 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:

><https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/power/linear-regulators/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.html> > >Datasheet: ><https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.pdf> > >A set of _nine_ nice-looking eval boards for their new analog-focused, >low quiescent power switching regulators, all for $49 in a nice plastic >case and all. > >Dunno if I'm brave enough to use a Maxim part yet, but some of those >look vaguely interesting. > >Cheers > >Phil
Those Maxim parts look redundant on the ex-LTC LTM modules. Analog owns both now. I hope they did a better job on switcher noise than Linear did. LTM8078 is ghastly. If you try the eval kit, maybe you could look at that. TPS54302 is pretty good. -- If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts, but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties. Francis Bacon
On Fri, 20 May 2022 14:51:32 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote: >> yes, since august last year, https://www.analog.com/en/about-adi/maxim-integrated-acquisition.html >> > >I know AD bought them--what I'm getting at is, "Has Maxim stopped acting >like d*ckheads by continually cancelling recently-introduced products >just when you're going into production?" > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
Duckheads? -- If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts, but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties. Francis Bacon
John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2022 13:25:38 -0400, Phil Hobbs > <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: > >> <https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/power/linear-regulators/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.html> >> >> Datasheet: >> <https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.pdf> >> >> A set of _nine_ nice-looking eval boards for their new analog-focused, >> low quiescent power switching regulators, all for $49 in a nice plastic >> case and all. >> >> Dunno if I'm brave enough to use a Maxim part yet, but some of those >> look vaguely interesting. >> >> Cheers >> >> Phil > > Those Maxim parts look redundant on the ex-LTC LTM modules. Analog > owns both now. > > I hope they did a better job on switcher noise than Linear did. > LTM8078 is ghastly. If you try the eval kit, maybe you could look at > that.
That would be my primary interest. We've revamped our standard photoreceiver packaging to use a machined-from-solid brass box with a flat brass lid, communicating via feedthrough caps and a U.FL F to bulkhead SMA cable. All the switchers go in another board under the brass box, with a black powder-coated steel or aluminum lid, with a black plastic shroud covering the feedthrus and supporting a bulkhead-mount power jack. The lid can be soldered down if desired, for really tough EMI situations. Once we have the new models up on the website, I'll post a link. Turns out that with modern laser cutting and 3D printing, the whole works is cheaper than the Hammond box we were using, besides being dramatically better electrically and much much more bling with all that gold(ish) and black. (Free-cutting brass looks more like gold than yellow sheet brass does.) Simon unofficially calls the new version of our QL01 nanowatt photoreceiver the DK02, for Donna Karan. ;) The new boxes are good for fast APDs, SPADs, and MPPCs/SiPMs. Check out SendCutSend for some very interesting capabilities.
> > TPS54302 is pretty good.
I've got that in my notes from your previous recommendation, but haven't tried it yet. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
On Fri, 20 May 2022 16:26:56 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>John Larkin wrote: >> On Fri, 20 May 2022 13:25:38 -0400, Phil Hobbs >> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: >> >>> <https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/power/linear-regulators/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.html> >>> >>> Datasheet: >>> <https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.pdf> >>> >>> A set of _nine_ nice-looking eval boards for their new analog-focused, >>> low quiescent power switching regulators, all for $49 in a nice plastic >>> case and all. >>> >>> Dunno if I'm brave enough to use a Maxim part yet, but some of those >>> look vaguely interesting. >>> >>> Cheers >>> >>> Phil >> >> Those Maxim parts look redundant on the ex-LTC LTM modules. Analog >> owns both now. >> >> I hope they did a better job on switcher noise than Linear did. >> LTM8078 is ghastly. If you try the eval kit, maybe you could look at >> that. > >That would be my primary interest. We've revamped our standard >photoreceiver packaging to use a machined-from-solid brass box with a >flat brass lid, communicating via feedthrough caps and a U.FL F to >bulkhead SMA cable. All the switchers go in another board under the >brass box, with a black powder-coated steel or aluminum lid, with a >black plastic shroud covering the feedthrus and supporting a >bulkhead-mount power jack. The lid can be soldered down if desired, for >really tough EMI situations. Once we have the new models up on the >website, I'll post a link. > >Turns out that with modern laser cutting and 3D printing, the whole >works is cheaper than the Hammond box we were using, besides being >dramatically better electrically and much much more bling with all that >gold(ish) and black. (Free-cutting brass looks more like gold than >yellow sheet brass does.) > >Simon unofficially calls the new version of our QL01 nanowatt >photoreceiver the DK02, for Donna Karan. ;) > >The new boxes are good for fast APDs, SPADs, and MPPCs/SiPMs. > >Check out SendCutSend for some very interesting capabilities. >> >> TPS54302 is pretty good. > >I've got that in my notes from your previous recommendation, but haven't >tried it yet. > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
We did a couple of custom extrusions to replace the horrible Hammond boxes. We buy them blue anodized and blast all the artwork with a Boss laser. http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSS/J736DS.shtml http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSS/T130DS.shtml I'll be in truckee later this month. I could drop in on sendcutsend just for fun. -- If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts, but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties. Francis Bacon
John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2022 16:26:56 -0400, Phil Hobbs > <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: > >> John Larkin wrote: >>> On Fri, 20 May 2022 13:25:38 -0400, Phil Hobbs >>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: >>> >>>> <https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/power/linear-regulators/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.html> >>>> >>>> Datasheet: >>>> <https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.pdf> >>>> >>>> A set of _nine_ nice-looking eval boards for their new analog-focused, >>>> low quiescent power switching regulators, all for $49 in a nice plastic >>>> case and all. >>>> >>>> Dunno if I'm brave enough to use a Maxim part yet, but some of those >>>> look vaguely interesting. >>>> >>>> Cheers >>>> >>>> Phil >>> >>> Those Maxim parts look redundant on the ex-LTC LTM modules. Analog >>> owns both now. >>> >>> I hope they did a better job on switcher noise than Linear did. >>> LTM8078 is ghastly. If you try the eval kit, maybe you could look at >>> that. >> >> That would be my primary interest. We've revamped our standard >> photoreceiver packaging to use a machined-from-solid brass box with a >> flat brass lid, communicating via feedthrough caps and a U.FL F to >> bulkhead SMA cable. All the switchers go in another board under the >> brass box, with a black powder-coated steel or aluminum lid, with a >> black plastic shroud covering the feedthrus and supporting a >> bulkhead-mount power jack. The lid can be soldered down if desired, for >> really tough EMI situations. Once we have the new models up on the >> website, I'll post a link. >> >> Turns out that with modern laser cutting and 3D printing, the whole >> works is cheaper than the Hammond box we were using, besides being >> dramatically better electrically and much much more bling with all that >> gold(ish) and black. (Free-cutting brass looks more like gold than >> yellow sheet brass does.) >> >> Simon unofficially calls the new version of our QL01 nanowatt >> photoreceiver the DK02, for Donna Karan. ;) >> >> The new boxes are good for fast APDs, SPADs, and MPPCs/SiPMs. >> >> Check out SendCutSend for some very interesting capabilities. >>> >>> TPS54302 is pretty good. >> >> I've got that in my notes from your previous recommendation, but haven't >> tried it yet.
> > We did a couple of custom extrusions to replace the horrible Hammond > boxes. We buy them blue anodized and blast all the artwork with a Boss > laser. > > http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSS/J736DS.shtml > > http://www.highlandtechnology.com/DSS/T130DS.shtml > > I'll be in truckee later this month. I could drop in on sendcutsend > just for fun.
Google says they're about 45 minutes from Truckee, so that might be a good use of half a day. They keep adding capabilities--they now do laser-cut steel (12 different alloys iirc) up to 12 mm thick, for cheap. Even titanium. It seems to be just the sort of thing American manufacturing used to be unequalled at--apply capital and ingenuity to become the low-cost, high quality producer even in a high-wage country. They're pretty focused on laser cutting and surface coatings--anything out of the plane costs extra. Simon knows a lot more about them than I do, and is a huge fan. It reminds me a bit of designing with MSI logic chips BITD--with some time and creativity you can make some pretty neat things while staying within the cheap zone. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
On 05/20/2022 11:25 AM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> <https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/power/linear-regulators/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.html> > > > Datasheet: > <https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.pdf> > > A set of _nine_ nice-looking eval boards for their new analog-focused, > low quiescent power switching regulators, all for $49 in a nice plastic > case and all. > > Dunno if I'm brave enough to use a Maxim part yet, but some of those > look vaguely interesting.
Why? Maxim has been around for a long time. Maxim ate a lot of companies but there's always a bigger fish in the pond.
l&oslash;rdag den 21. maj 2022 kl. 03.21.09 UTC+2 skrev rbowman:
> On 05/20/2022 11:25 AM, Phil Hobbs wrote: > > <https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/products/power/linear-regulators/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.html> > > > > > > Datasheet: > > <https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAXESSENTIAL02EP.pdf> > > > > A set of _nine_ nice-looking eval boards for their new analog-focused, > > low quiescent power switching regulators, all for $49 in a nice plastic > > case and all. > > > > Dunno if I'm brave enough to use a Maxim part yet, but some of those > > look vaguely interesting. > Why? Maxim has been around for a long time. Maxim ate a lot of companies > but there's always a bigger fish in the pond.
Maxim is infamous for teasing with datasheets and samples, but when it come to buying for production you are not getting any unless, I guess, you need millions so they can be bothered to actually make some