magnetics question

Started by Unknown April 6, 2022
On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 18:45:43 +0200, Arie de Muijnck
<eternal.september@ademu.com> wrote:

>On 2022-04-06 18:33, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: >> On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 18:24:49 +0200, Arie de Muijnck >> <eternal.september@ademu.com> wrote: >> >>> On 2022-04-06 17:53, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: >>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnb3jmw8rcmdeir/XfmrScatter.JPG?raw=1 >>>> >>>> How does the mass of a transformer scale with frequency? >>>> >>>> I want to make a 120v 400 Hz power supply. I might boost my 48v up to >>>> 200DC and use an isolated h-bridge out to the load, or we could put >>>> the bridge down at 48v and boost with a biggish transformer. >>>> >>>> I'll have lots of air flow, so maybe I can push things some too. >>> >>> Weight is almost linear with power, and inversely with frequency. >>> >>> When I needed a 115V 400Hz for DO-160 aviation equipment development, I >>> ordered a 100W amplifier set from Amplimo (https://www.amplimo.nl/): >>> Mains transformer (toroid 115/230V in), rectifier, capacitors, amplifier >>> module, and an extra mains transformer (used in reverse) for the 115V >>> output. >>> Added a 400 Hz oscillator with a timer controlled gain control (4051 MUX >>> with some resistors) to create the required brownout and dropout >>> profiles. The customer was so amused they ordered some for their >>> production and test line (until then, they used a gigantic motor + 400Hz >>> dynamo in the basement to get 400 Hz). >>> >>> Arie >> >> I think so... for a given core, power scales linearly with frequency. >> A simple scribble with a 4-winding transformer suggests that. >> >> Thanks >> >> John > >Yes, which is exactly why switching PSU's are now the standard. The cost >saving in iron (ferrite) and copper and capacitors, and all transport >costs, far outweighs (pun intended) the cost of the semiconductors. > >And why airplanes use 400 Hz - the tiny transformers I had designed in >in the product were amusing, 8 times smaller than the usual 50 hz versions. > >Arie
I think you're living in the past. 60-400Hz magnetics are routinely shipped around the world for local cost reduction, making 'iron' transport costs irrelevent. Only end-use weight and volume remain signifigant. RL
Piotr Wyderski <bombald@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Arie de Muijnck wrote: > >> Yes, which is exactly why switching PSU's are now the standard. The >> cost saving in iron (ferrite) and copper and capacitors, and all >> transport costs, far outweighs (pun intended) the cost of the >> semiconductors. > > Their regulation capability is far better than that of the more > conventional PSUs. > >> And why airplanes use 400 Hz - the tiny transformers I had designed in >> in the product were amusing, 8 times smaller than the usual 50 hz >> versions. > > But why 400 then? A typical scaling factor would be 10, so 500Hz should > be expected. Instead, they have selected the odd value of 8. Backward > compatibility with an arbitrarily selected frequency back in the > medieval times? > > Best regards, Piotr
Aircraft are moving away from the fixed 400Hz frequency to variable 360-800Hz. "On the other hand, the innovation of power supply system in aircraft performance in the system of power supply: 360~800Hz large capacity variable frequency AC power system is using gradually instead of the constant frequency of 400Hz power supply on most of the aircraft[3,4]" https://www.atlantis-press.com/article/25862618.pdf -- MRM
Mike Monett wrote:

> Aircraft are moving away from the fixed 400Hz frequency to variable > 360-800Hz. > > "On the other hand, the innovation of power supply system in aircraft > performance in the system of power supply: 360~800Hz large capacity > variable frequency AC power system is using gradually instead of the > constant frequency of 400Hz power supply on most of the aircraft[3,4]"
Interesting. Why not DC then? It is going to be consumed by a switcher of some sort anyway, be it a PSU or motor controller. Best regards, Piotr
Piotr Wyderski <bombald@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Mike Monett wrote: > >> Aircraft are moving away from the fixed 400Hz frequency to variable >> 360-800Hz. >> >> "On the other hand, the innovation of power supply system in aircraft >> performance in the system of power supply: 360~800Hz large capacity >> variable frequency AC power system is using gradually instead of the >> constant frequency of 400Hz power supply on most of the aircraft[3,4]" > > Interesting. Why not DC then? It is going to be consumed by a switcher > of some sort anyway, be it a PSU or motor controller. > > Best regards, Piotr
My Piper Malibu distributed power in DC. Various instruments either used DC as is, or changed it to 400Hz. I believe larger A/C generate 3-phase. A possible reason for limiting the frequency may be skin effect. When you have to run power from the engines under the wings all over the plane, the losses could become serious. -- MRM
onsdag den 6. april 2022 kl. 23.26.01 UTC+2 skrev Piotr Wyderski:
> Mike Monett wrote: > > > Aircraft are moving away from the fixed 400Hz frequency to variable > > 360-800Hz. > > > > "On the other hand, the innovation of power supply system in aircraft > > performance in the system of power supply: 360~800Hz large capacity > > variable frequency AC power system is using gradually instead of the > > constant frequency of 400Hz power supply on most of the aircraft[3,4]" > Interesting. Why not DC then? It is going to be consumed by a switcher > of some sort anyway, be it a PSU or motor controller.
does relays and switches used for ~400Hz AC need to be beefed up like for DC?
On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 8:53:36 AM UTC-7, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnb3jmw8rcmdeir/XfmrScatter.JPG?raw=1 > > How does the mass of a transformer scale with frequency?
That's an interesting, and difficult, question. I'm assuming power transformer with unknown load on the secondary, there's current-transformer assumptions which are 'way different. Firstly, you need the core not to saturate at rated input voltage and no load; that means the core material's B-H curve has to be considered to set core size. This is about the magnetic flux distribution in the area (cross-section) of its path. Second, you need the primary and secondary wire resistances to be low enough for acceptable heat losses (usually, primary and secondary will have same loss, but that'll have steps at available gage sizes...) which means every core shape will have differing size according to the throat available for windings. Variacs will have different rules, because there's no separate primary and secondary wire gage, This affects the magnetic path length, not the area. Third, you need the whole assembly to stay cool; we don't usually see heatsinks on transformers, but every pole pig IS certainly a kind of keep-it-cool problem, and for high frequency, core losses (and maybe even skin effect in conductors) will have to be considered even for small items. With only the first item considered, cross sectional area is constant for peak current-turns at no load, so expect V /f proportional to area, thus weight roughly scale by f**(-1.5). It's a project that'll benefit from log-log and/or semilog graph paper.
onsdag den 6. april 2022 kl. 23.37.03 UTC+2 skrev whit3rd:
> On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 8:53:36 AM UTC-7, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: > > https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnb3jmw8rcmdeir/XfmrScatter.JPG?raw=1 > > > > How does the mass of a transformer scale with frequency? > That's an interesting, and difficult, question. I'm assuming power transformer with > unknown load on the secondary, there's current-transformer assumptions which are 'way different. > > Firstly, you need the core not to saturate at rated input voltage and > no load; that means the core material's B-H curve has to be considered to set core size. > This is about the magnetic flux distribution in the area (cross-section) of its path. > > Second, you need the primary and secondary wire resistances to be low enough for > acceptable heat losses (usually, primary and secondary will have same loss, but that'll > have steps at available gage sizes...) which means every core shape will have differing > size according to the throat available for windings. Variacs will have different > rules, because there's no separate primary and secondary wire gage, This affects > the magnetic path length, not the area. > > Third, you need the whole assembly to stay cool; we don't usually see heatsinks on > transformers, but every pole pig IS certainly a kind of keep-it-cool problem, and > for high frequency, core losses (and maybe even skin effect in conductors) will have to > be considered even for small items. > > With only the first item considered, cross sectional area is constant for peak current-turns > at no load, so expect V /f proportional to area, thus weight roughly scale by f**(-1.5). > It's a project that'll benefit from log-log and/or semilog graph paper.
can't it be more or less simplified to: if you take a suitable transformer and run it at 8 times the frequency you can also increase the voltage 8 times, and thus get 8 times the power
On 7/4/22 7:00 am, Piotr Wyderski wrote:
> Arie de Muijnck wrote: >> And why airplanes use 400 Hz - the tiny transformers I had designed in >> in the product were amusing, 8 times smaller than the usual 50 hz >> versions. > > But why 400 then?
Probably to do with still using rotating converters and other synchronous things. 24000RPM is feasible in 1950s technology, but much more gets hard.
On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 21:19:49 -0000 (UTC), Mike Monett <spamme@not.com>
wrote:

>Piotr Wyderski <bombald@protonmail.com> wrote: > >> Arie de Muijnck wrote: >> >>> Yes, which is exactly why switching PSU's are now the standard. The >>> cost saving in iron (ferrite) and copper and capacitors, and all >>> transport costs, far outweighs (pun intended) the cost of the >>> semiconductors. >> >> Their regulation capability is far better than that of the more >> conventional PSUs. >> >>> And why airplanes use 400 Hz - the tiny transformers I had designed in >>> in the product were amusing, 8 times smaller than the usual 50 hz >>> versions. >> >> But why 400 then? A typical scaling factor would be 10, so 500Hz should >> be expected. Instead, they have selected the odd value of 8. Backward >> compatibility with an arbitrarily selected frequency back in the >> medieval times? >> >> Best regards, Piotr > >Aircraft are moving away from the fixed 400Hz frequency to variable >360-800Hz. > >"On the other hand, the innovation of power supply system in aircraft >performance in the system of power supply: 360~800Hz large capacity >variable frequency AC power system is using gradually instead of the >constant frequency of 400Hz power supply on most of the aircraft[3,4]" > >https://www.atlantis-press.com/article/25862618.pdf
There are constant-frequency generators that always make 400 Hz. I don't know how they work. 360 (sometimes 250) to 800 Hz is "Wild power", what you can get from anywhere to stay alive. A ram air turbine is "the thing you never want to see used." -- If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts, but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties. Francis Bacon
On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 2:51:50 PM UTC-7, lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
> onsdag den 6. april 2022 kl. 23.37.03 UTC+2 skrev whit3rd: > > On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 8:53:36 AM UTC-7, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: > > > https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnb3jmw8rcmdeir/XfmrScatter.JPG?raw=1 > > > > > > How does the mass of a transformer scale with frequency? > > That's an interesting, and difficult, question. I'm assuming power transformer with > > unknown load on the secondary, there's current-transformer assumptions which are 'way different. > > > > Firstly, you need the core not to saturate at rated input voltage and > > no load; that means...
> > With only the first item considered, cross sectional area is constant for peak current-turns > > at no load, so expect V /f proportional to area, thus weight roughly scale by f**(-1.5). > > It's a project that'll benefit from log-log and/or semilog graph paper.
> can't it be more or less simplified to: > if you take a suitable transformer and run it at 8 times the frequency you can also > increase the voltage 8 times, and thus get 8 times the power
Yes, that's correct. I was thinking, though, of resizing the core which would shorten the wire length required, thus allow thinner wire with similar resistance; a redesign of the transformer for the higher frequency is different from using the same transformer. So, my scaling assumes a transformer reconfiguration in shape. It doesn't get into the correct way to do that wire re-dimensioning, because that includes dissipation of heat changing with size... and heat can be shed by conduction, or convection, with different power laws.