Filter Cap for a battery pack ?

Started by Sid 03 December 14, 2021
I need to select a capacitor for a battery pack.  I see a lot of circuits that use Alkaline batteries and then have a ceramic capacitor across the leads of the series battery pack to act as a filter.

My question is how do you size the cap ?  I hate just looking at what someone else has done and just guess or copy.

I have 4x 1.5v alkaline batteries in series powering a amplifier circuit.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 8:30:07 AM UTC-8, sidw...@gmail.com wrote:
> I need to select a capacitor for a battery pack. I see a lot of circuits that use Alkaline batteries and then have a ceramic capacitor across the leads of the series battery pack to act as a filter. > > My question is how do you size the cap ? I hate just looking at what someone else has done and just guess or copy. > > I have 4x 1.5v alkaline batteries in series powering a amplifier circuit.
If there's RF in the vicinity, battery wiring can be an antenna; that's all the capacitor is good for. At frequencies in audio, battery wiring is much shorter than a transmission line, and those batteries are very capacitive. So, how RF-sensitive is the power rail? And, is the battery wiring paired, so it makes a transmission line, or unpaired, so it makes a loop?
On 15/12/21 3:30 am, Sid 03 wrote:
> I need to select a capacitor for a battery pack. I see a lot of circuits that use Alkaline batteries and then have a ceramic capacitor across the leads of the series battery pack to act as a filter. > > My question is how do you size the cap ? I hate just looking at what someone else has done and just guess or copy. > > I have 4x 1.5v alkaline batteries in series powering a amplifier circuit.
There is no need to use a capacitor across the battery. Put capacitors across the power supply on the amplifier board, especially near the output devices. CH
Thye Witkleds Fuckwit trolls again" whit3rd wrote:

> > I need to select a capacitor for a battery pack. > I see a lot of circuits that use Alkaline batteries and then > have a ceramic capacitor across the leads of the series battery > pack to act as a filter.
** Post one.
> > > I have 4x 1.5v alkaline batteries in series powering a amplifier circuit.
** Post it.
> If there's RF in the vicinity, battery wiring can be an antenna; that's all the capacitor is good for.
**100% wrong.
> At frequencies in audio, battery wiring is much shorter than a transmission line, and those > batteries are very capacitive.
** 110 % wrong. ( ship even more vomitous drivel) ..... Phil
On Tuesday, December 14, 2021 at 1:57:19 PM UTC-8, palli...@gmail.com wrote:
> whit3rd wrote:
> > At frequencies in audio, battery wiring is much shorter than a transmission line, and those > > batteries are very capacitive.
> ** 110 % wrong.
Not so. Learn some electronics, and tell me what the capacitance computes at, for a voltage source like a battery. I'm talking about I = C * dV/dt when you pull current from a battery, and dV/dt is close to zero (after all, batteries are sized, usually for ten hours or more of load).

It's easier to use an ESR (equivalent series resistance) meter. For example, the ESR of an Energizer E91 AA at 100KHz is about 0.15 ohms at 25C: <https://data.energizer.com/pdfs/batteryir.pdf> That's as good or better than any common filter capacitor. At RF frequencies (>1MHz) the ESR (impedance) goes up mostly due to lead inductance. Instead of absurdly short battery wires, moving the filter capacitor near the electronics works better. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com PO Box 272 http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272 Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558