CAT5e/6 connector/termination alternatives

Started by Don Y October 1, 2020
On 10/3/2020 12:50 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> It might be useful to test whatever method being considered by > retrofitting it onto the board of an 8-port gigabit switch. For $30 you > could test 8 methods for data errors.
My switch already gives me statistics on types of packets, errors, etc. It also gives me information on the quality of the power delivered to each PD. So, I can check for "lossy" connections at the PD in "real time" (useful so I can ensure proper operation "over time" instead of just "at installation").

These have a spring inside. See PDF at: <https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=showdoc&DocId=Customer+Drawing%7F50863%7FZ4%7Fpdf%7FEnglish%7FENG_CD_50863_Z4.pdf%7F50863-4> Hint: If the mating pin covers a range of diameters, such as 28 to 22 AWG in this socket, it has a spring inside. More for #24 AWG to choose from: <https://www.te.com/usa-en/search.html?q=pin%2Bsocket&n=130468&d=646048&type=products&samples=N&inStoreWithoutPL=false&instock=N> You haven't said anything about the high cost.
>From my (uneducated) observations, it appears that the way connectors >grab wires has a fair bit of thought involved. I'd rather trust to >an ME (or Materials Scientist?) to sort that out, properly, than to >hope an /ad hoc/ approach will work scaled to production quantities.
Well, there should be something in the TE online catalog with a proper signature in the title block of the drawing. I won't claim to be an ME (materialistic engineer) but I have had some experience using those connectors inside marine radios (xtal sockets and board interconnects) and in applications somewhat beyond the imagination of the ME's. Incidentally, I picked a gold plated pin socket because I thought it looked cool and might get your attention. In reality, you want something galvanically compatible with the copper CAT5 wire. Methinks brass or tin would be best.
>Perhaps if tapered pins were affixed to the ends of the wires to >ensure a more reliable fit...?
Before you invest time and money in such an abomination, it might be useful if you first determine if you have a problem worth solving. We're not talking about the retention force of a single wire in socket connection here. We're talking about 8 such connections at the same time. But if you believe insufficient retention force to be a problem, please note that a simple cable clamp or hot melt glue blob on the jacket, will act as a suitable stress reliever. Or, if you really want more retention force, perhaps a longer version of the same pin socket.
Forever, with only 20 inches of rain last year: <https://www.slvwd.com/sites/g/files/vyhlif1176/f/uploads/rainfall_13060_highway9_march-30-2020.pdf> After a few similar discussions with various patriarchs, God became tired of losing the arguments and stopped talking directly to mere mortals. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558