a couple of LC filter progs

Started by John Larkin April 5, 2019
BESSIE designs LC Bessel filters up to 5th order.

LCNORM normalizes or scales filters for new frequencies or impedances.
That's always a nuisance to do by hand.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/syvu0wsx7s9rllk/Filter_Progs_1.zip?dl=0

I hope I got them right.

--

lunatic fringe electronics

On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 7:55:47 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
> BESSIE designs LC Bessel filters up to 5th order. > > LCNORM normalizes or scales filters for new frequencies or impedances. > That's always a nuisance to do by hand. > > https://www.dropbox.com/s/syvu0wsx7s9rllk/Filter_Progs_1.zip?dl=0 > > I hope I got them right. >
I'll also put in a plug for this site, which I've been using quite a bit lately to build elliptic BPFs at VHF: https://rf-tools.com/lc-filter/ Results match those from the AADE program but this web-based program has the ability to specify standard part values, which the AADE program doesn't. -- john, KE5FX
Here's a fully online one.  Not a designer, but a simulator:
https://www.seventransistorlabs.com/Calc/Filter1~.html

Still rather clunky, and some features have already broken in newer Chrome.
Haven't had any reason to update it though...

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC

On 6/4/19 1:55 pm, John Larkin wrote:
> BESSIE designs LC Bessel filters up to 5th order. > > LCNORM normalizes or scales filters for new frequencies or impedances. > That's always a nuisance to do by hand. > > https://www.dropbox.com/s/syvu0wsx7s9rllk/Filter_Progs_1.zip?dl=0 > > I hope I got them right.
Why not publish the source code, so they can be scrutinised, and maybe rewritten in a modern language or for another operating system? Open Source rules for this kind of thing. Clifford Heath
On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 20:07:03 -0700 (PDT), "John Miles, KE5FX"
<jmiles@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 7:55:47 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: >> BESSIE designs LC Bessel filters up to 5th order. >> >> LCNORM normalizes or scales filters for new frequencies or impedances. >> That's always a nuisance to do by hand. >> >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/syvu0wsx7s9rllk/Filter_Progs_1.zip?dl=0 >> >> I hope I got them right. >> > >I'll also put in a plug for this site, which I've been using quite a bit >lately to build elliptic BPFs at VHF: > >https://rf-tools.com/lc-filter/ > >Results match those from the AADE program but this web-based program has the >ability to specify standard part values, which the AADE program doesn't. > >-- john, KE5FX
That's impressive. It looks competitive with the expensive NuHertz software. NuHertz also does some rare filter forms, and finite-Q designs. I usually use a filter design program to get ideal values, then plug into Spice and try values that we have in stock. Here's my units conversion program: https://www.dropbox.com/s/64rg7ko4rc7hhw7/U.zip?dl=0 -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 00:41:25 -0500, "Tim Williams"
<tiwill@seventransistorlabs.com> wrote:

>Here's a fully online one. Not a designer, but a simulator: >https://www.seventransistorlabs.com/Calc/Filter1~.html > >Still rather clunky, and some features have already broken in newer Chrome. >Haven't had any reason to update it though... > >Tim
Spice does that too! I am simulating some pulse generator output circuits that are screaming fast but ring at GHz time scales. So I'm simulating the circuit and a cleanup filter together, using a filter form that looks broadband ohmic on its output port to absorb cable reflections, ideas cribbed from Jeroen. Of course, the physical circuits don't behave like the sims. This is a sim/test loop that ideally converges. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 17:56:20 +1000, Clifford Heath <no.spam@please.net>
wrote:

>On 6/4/19 1:55 pm, John Larkin wrote: >> BESSIE designs LC Bessel filters up to 5th order. >> >> LCNORM normalizes or scales filters for new frequencies or impedances. >> That's always a nuisance to do by hand. >> >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/syvu0wsx7s9rllk/Filter_Progs_1.zip?dl=0 >> >> I hope I got them right. > >Why not publish the source code, so they can be scrutinised, and maybe >rewritten in a modern language or for another operating system? > >Open Source rules for this kind of thing. > >Clifford Heath
Well, I didn't write it to be pretty. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
John Larkin wrote...
> > Here's my units conversion program: >https://www.dropbox.com/s/64rg7ko4rc7hhw7/U.zip?dl=0
John, you should provide the code. -- Thanks, - Win
On 7 Apr 2019 08:46:35 -0700, Winfield Hill <hill@rowland.harvard.edu>
wrote:

>John Larkin wrote... >> >> Here's my units conversion program: >>https://www.dropbox.com/s/64rg7ko4rc7hhw7/U.zip?dl=0 > > John, you should provide the code.
It's PowerBasic, which hardly anyone uses, and it's pretty hacked looking. It just sort of happened. OK, added to the zip file. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
John Larkin wrote...
> > On 7 Apr 2019, Winfield Hill wrote: >> John Larkin wrote... >>> >>> Here's my units conversion program: >>>https://www.dropbox.com/s/64rg7ko4rc7hhw7/U.zip?dl=0 >> >> John, you should provide the code. > > It's PowerBasic, which hardly anyone uses, and it's > pretty hacked looking. It just sort of happened. > OK, added to the zip file.
Hey, John, that's not so bad, thanks! -- Thanks, - Win