Using cordless tool batteries to power a drone

Started by John Doe November 7, 2018
So the question is... Should I order a fat battery holder and sack
my Dewalt 6 amp hour battery. They are 3 amp hour batteries, up from
the 2.5. Maybe I can pull the pack out, get a peek at the part
number, and see what the battery sourcing capability is. I have a
LOT of lithium ion batteries.

I wrote:

> Easier to fly than my Rodeo 110. Flew the Runner 250 for a minute > or two until it started losing power. The batteries were not hot, > but apparently their ability to source current diminishes quickly > even though they remain charged. Reconnected and took off again, > this time confidently applying throttle. It ZOOMED up so I dropped > the throttle, then experienced the infamous "flip of death" (FOD). > Messed up a propeller or two. That's enough testing for now. > > With no load... The batteries started at 4.19 V. Now they are at > 4.05 V. > > Apparently the Samsung INR18650-25R will not drive the Runner 250.
The bulky batteries are
Sanyo NCR20700A

I wrote:

> So the question is... Should I order a fat battery holder and sack > my Dewalt 6 amp hour battery. They are 3 amp hour batteries, up from > the 2.5. Maybe I can pull the pack out, get a peek at the part > number, and see what the battery sourcing capability is. I have a > LOT of lithium ion batteries.
John Doe wrote
><698839253X6D445TD@nospam.org> wrote: > >> John Doe wroye > >>>>> It flew! It flew! My battery pack stayed cool as a cucumber. At >>>>> first, increasing throttle would not get the drone off of the >>>>> ground, until after the throttle was turned to 0 and then >>>>> reapplied. >> >> How is your flight time compared to the lipos? >> What drone do you use? > >I am using a modified Walkera Runner 250.
Just looked it up, bit cheaper than my Hubsan, size is about the same I think.
>The unknown electric unicycle 18650 batteries won't work. That flight >was extremely short/limited.
I see. The hubsan uses 2 cell lipos 2700 mAh 7.4V 10C
I used batteries with welded connection strips, they do that on order here. http://panteltje.com/pub/li_ion_batteries_IMG_6684.JPG
>Dewalt now has 12 amp hour 20 V MAX batteries. I'm remaking my >electric bike, I'll probably add some spacing so it can handle those. >That's a whopping 24 amp hours carrying only one spare drill battery.
An other experiment I did was power the drone via a coax cable: http://panteltje.com/pub/h501s_drone_remote_power_flight_test_1_IMG_6274.JPG http://panteltje.com/pub/h501s_drone_remote_power_test_ground_control_1_IMG_6276.JPG Couple of hundred volts at 100 kHz over a thin coax, stepdown transformer and rectifier at the drone side: http://panteltje.com/pub/h501s_drone_remote_power_drone_side_IMG_6278.JPG The diodes are in the air stream, and the transformer too on the other side for balance, battery is in the drone too as backup against power failure. Unlimited flight time, was intended to put an antenna up there,
John Doe wrote
>So the question is... Should I order a fat battery holder and sack >my Dewalt 6 amp hour battery. They are 3 amp hour batteries, up from >the 2.5. Maybe I can pull the pack out, get a peek at the part >number, and see what the battery sourcing capability is. I have a >LOT of lithium ion batteries.
Maybe you have better results with 2 lipos in parallel, works for the Hubsan.
John Doe
>Easier to fly than my Rodeo 110. Flew the Runner 250 for a minute or two >until it started losing power. The batteries were not hot, but >apparently their ability to source current diminishes quickly even >though they remain charged. Reconnected and took off again, this time >confidently applying throttle. It ZOOMED up so I dropped the throttle, >then experienced the infamous "flip of death" (FOD). Messed up a >propeller or two. That's enough testing for now. > >With no load... The batteries started at 4.19 V. Now they are at 4.05 V. > >Apparently the Samsung INR18650-25R will not drive the Runner 250.
Looks like you will come to the same conclusion as I did, lipos are better.
John Doe wrote
Yes GPS drones are a lot more stable, and allow all sort of games, like these: http://panteltje.com/panteltje/quadcopter/index.html And then I am not even mentioning the dark side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS_K4caj7vc For that we have a faster plane (160 kmh), axion laser arrow.
<698839253X6D445TD@nospam.org> wrote:

> John Doe wrote
>>So the question is... Should I order a fat battery holder and sack >>my Dewalt 6 amp hour battery. They are 3 amp hour batteries, up >>from the 2.5. Maybe I can pull the pack out, get a peek at the >>part number, and see what the battery sourcing capability is. I >>have a LOT of lithium ion batteries. > > Maybe you have better results with 2 lipos in parallel, works for > the Hubsan.
I have so many spare 18650 batteries (and 3 cell holders), I might do that and see if my Runner 250 will cope with the weight. It is chopped down otherwise, so who knows. With 2500KV motors it is more than enough for me, so this is a good stress test. The bulky batteries in my Dewalt 6 amp hour pack are Sanyo NCR20700A. Looks like they are near the top end for lithium ion current sourcing, so I will try those before giving up on 3 in series. Apparently 20700/21700 battery tray/holder/sled are scarce, but there are some single and double battery units on fleaBay so I ordered 3 of the singles. In case anyone does not already know... The diameter of lithium ion cells is simply the first two numbers, like 18 or 20 or 26.
Not for lack of interest, but... I just got around to trying the Sanyo
NCR20700A. This racing drone, in a 7 x 7' area. Seemed more difficult to
control than last time. It stayed up for maybe two minutes until I
couldn't handle it (maybe because the propellers are slightly damaged,
maybe because of the wind currents, maybe because the batteries were
supplying more power).

The battery voltage after perhaps two minutes was 4.09, and they were
still cold. Then again, the Samsung INR18650-25R did not get warm
either. However, the 18650s did apparently trigger the low-voltage
warning signal. These didn't.

Will go again later, outside. Will try to measure time hovering in the
air. Would be nice to have a current meter, but what really matters is
that the thing works. According to YouTube videos, drones require a
small amount of current compared to what their reputation claims.

Droning is FASCINATING. The flight simulator aspect is awesome, but
there is also the science-fiction-like reality. The impact drones will
have in the not too distant, if not near, future is becoming obvious to
me.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/?

The minor battery damage was done by DeWalt, when shoving it into their
battery holder.
A measly six minutes in the air.
The batteries were still cool.
With no load they measured 3.86 volts.