Semi OT: vintage word processing

Started by bitrex September 10, 2018
There's not a lot of info from the time available about this product, this article of "Hands On Electronics" from March of 1987 has a review of it on page 55. <https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Hands-On-Electronics/Hands-On-1987-03.pdf> On page 47 is an interesting article about the US government and ham radio operators working to support the heroic Islamic "mujahidin" with communications in their fight for freedom against the "Vandal hordes from the steppes."
On 09/11/2018 08:46 PM, bitrex wrote:
> On 09/10/2018 12:45 AM, bitrex wrote: >> In junior high, before my family had a "real" computer, I cranked out >> many a school report on my parent's Panasonic Penwriter word >> processor. It was like an electronic typewriter with a tiny LCD >> display for entering text, but instead of a daisy wheel or something >> it had four color pens controlled by servos and some limited ability >> to do vector graphics, I remember doing some really nice-looking pie >> charts and bar graphs with it on bean sprout growth statistics. Way >> sharper and clearer than modern cheap inkjet printer output. >> >> <https://imgur.com/a/wPN27Fj> >> >> I recall it had a PC interface of some type maybe a parallel port, I >> was thinking today you could probably get it to spit out some really >> slick schematics if you could figure out how to talk to it >> appropriately from a PC. Who knows if it would still be possible to >> find the pen refills for the thing, though. > > > There's not a lot of info from the time available about this product, > this article of "Hands On Electronics" from March of 1987 has a review > of it on page 55. > > <https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Hands-On-Electronics/Hands-On-1987-03.pdf> > > > On page 47 is an interesting article about the US government and ham > radio operators working to support the heroic Islamic "mujahidin" with > communications in their fight for freedom against the "Vandal hordes > from the steppes."
The third-to-last paragraph seems to confirm that at least in theory it can receive and draw arbitrary figures i.e. "But as a printer, it offers a graphic coordinate system and can draw even beyond its graph functions." It might even accept HPGL-format plotter data, who knows, seems like even then it was sort of a de-facto standard.
On 10/09/2018 18:29, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 9/10/18 12:48 AM, bitrex wrote:
>> I remember it was kinda mesmerizing to watch it print because unlike a >> regular electronic typewriter the paper would jitter in and out in the >> carriage as the pens moved side-to-side to draw the text and images... > > I really liked my HP 7475 and 7550 pen plotters.&nbsp; Made beautiful plots > if the pens were newish.&nbsp; The 7550 had a turret for multiple colours.
They were wonderful things. We had the graph digitising addon too. IEEE-488 controller interfaces were our very first commercial products. -- Regards, Martin Brown
Martin Brown wrote:
> On 10/09/2018 18:29, Phil Hobbs wrote: >> On 9/10/18 12:48 AM, bitrex wrote: > >>> I remember it was kinda mesmerizing to watch it print because unlike >>> a regular electronic typewriter the paper would jitter in and out in >>> the carriage as the pens moved side-to-side to draw the text and >>> images... >> >> I really liked my HP 7475 and 7550 pen plotters. Made beautiful plots >> if the pens were newish. The 7550 had a turret for multiple colours. > > They were wonderful things. We had the graph digitising addon too. > IEEE-488 controller interfaces were our very first commercial products. >
They were fun to watch, but I like a file of numerical data and gnuplot much better. We didn't have that in 1980. IEEE-488 is terrible. A typical committee product. Jeroen Belleman
>IEEE-488 is terrible. A typical committee product.
Except that it wasn't--it was developed in-house by HP in the '70s. Cheers Phil Hobbs
pcdhobbs@gmail.com wrote:
>> IEEE-488 is terrible. A typical committee product. > > Except that it wasn't--it was developed in-house by HP in the '70s.
It's clumsy, complicated and slow. I've used it many times over the years and still do, yet never quite managed to fully understand it. I even wrote working driver routines for this silly TMS9914 chip. I never got deeper than just enough to get the job done. Jeroen Belleman
On 13/09/2018 15:00, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> pcdhobbs@gmail.com wrote: >>> IEEE-488 is terrible. A typical committee product. >> >> Except that it wasn't--it was developed in-house by HP in the '70s. > > It's clumsy, complicated and slow. I've used it many times > over the years and still do, yet never quite managed to fully > understand it. I even wrote working driver routines for this > silly TMS9914 chip. I never got deeper than just enough to get > the job done. > > Jeroen Belleman
I never got to use the TMS9914 but got on OK with the MC68488. I very successfully implemented an HP-IB subset using discrete logic that was actually great fun to design :> piglet

When it was originally called HPIB before IEEE adopted it. http://www.hp9845.net/9845/tutorials/hpib/ In its day it was pretty fast and robust when compared to serial RS232 before much faster Ethernet and token ring topologies came along. I found the later revisions 488.2 of the standard a bit top heavy. YMMV In its day it was a reliable fast method of data transfer. HP even put their disk drives on it for some of the laboratory micro/mini computers. Commodore also adopted it for external hard disk interface. -- Regards, Martin Brown
On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 06:31:21 -0700 (PDT), pcdhobbs@gmail.com wrote:

>>IEEE-488 is terrible. A typical committee product. > >Except that it wasn't--it was developed in-house by HP in the '70s.
That may be but it doesn't change the fact that it's terrible.
On 14/09/2018 03:13, krw@notreal.com wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 06:31:21 -0700 (PDT), pcdhobbs@gmail.com wrote: > >>> IEEE-488 is terrible. A typical committee product. >> >> Except that it wasn't--it was developed in-house by HP in the '70s. > > That may be but it doesn't change the fact that it's terrible.
At the time it was invented it was really quite good. HP even used it to connect their external hard disks. The handshaking meant that you knew all devices had seen the commands and data (but also that things ran so that the slowest device set the workable transfer speed). ISTR Good for 1Mbyte/s peak or more realistically on a practical setup 500kbyte/s. The main alternative for instrumentation was poxy RS232 speeds 9600baud =1kbyte/s and the risk of buffer overrun (remember those?). It is still used in some places there is a lot of GPIB kit still out there and the connectors were virtually indestructible (although they didn't tolerate metallic swarf or strong acids very well). -- Regards, Martin Brown