Composite amps

Started by Phil Hobbs May 27, 2018
On 2020-02-25 16:06, plastcontrol.ru@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
Because you've got a 10 MHz op amp inside the feedback loop of a 12-GHz f_max pHEMT, which is just plain silly. There's nothing special about ground anyway. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
The capacitance of my detectors is below 300 pF and i use negative bias.
cap 2200 pF for picture only))

Very thin dead layer is important for photons 13 nm.
Responsivity of the detector for photons 1keV - 5keV is always the same = 0.27 A/W
Very funny detector this is a CCD camera without a window.
Only you need to connect it not to the TV, but to the oscilloscope and you can immediately analyze the materials by XRF.

Phil Hobbs wrote:
>That's sort of silly, because it relies on the OPA140 to complete the >loop, and that grossly limits the speed.
>Because you've got a 10 MHz op amp inside the feedback loop of > a 12-GHz f_max pHEMT, which is just plain silly.
From bootstrapping photodiode to bootsrapping non-inverting input Op Amp. The task of the bootstrap circuit is to keep the voltage at the photodiode constant by directing the photocurrent to the amplifier. STOP ! Error detected)) The current should not go to the amplifier, but to the feedback resistor Rf ! Now you guess what needs to be changed in the circuit so that the amplifier OPA140 turns from a snail into a cheetah ? Slew Rate OPA140 20 V/μs http://ixbt.photo/?id=photo:1329866
On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 2:47:45 PM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 2020-02-24 11:47, George Herold wrote: > > On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 6:55:54 AM UTC-5, plastco...@gmail.com wrote: > >> 1) grounded detector, grounded source/emitter HF transistor > >> 2) true zero-bias operation of detector > >> 3) my circuit is simpler > >> I like to read books)) > > > > OK, what do you find better about zero bias operation? > > I should admit that for many years I ran all my PD's at > > zero bias. I thought this gave me better 'zero' light detection. > > (No DC offset with no light... but the dark current from > > PDs is generally pretty low.) > > Running with some bias has two main advantages. > > 1.) reduced C.. faster > > 2.) Higher saturation current (light intensity) without bias the > > electrons build up in the junction and it saturates.. more light > > gives no more electrons. > > > > George H. > > (who is addicted to reading... I need to find a few new fiction writers) > > > > Zero bias is better in one respect: you can get zero leakage current. > For jobs such as very wide range, very slow photometers, that's a win. > Garry Epeldauer et al. wrote a beautiful paper about getting 14 orders > of magnitude in photocurrent, if you don't mind being stuck with > millihertz bandwidths: > > <https://electrooptical.net/www/optics/eppeldauer14decadephotocurrent.pdf>
Hi Phil, I downloaded the above and was chewing through it last night. Great stuff! 1.) Rs (PD shunt resistance... I've always just treated this as infinite. Can I measure leakage current and get Rs? 2.) pg 3094 has a nice discussion of 1/f noise. 3.) Are there even better low current opamps these days? 4.) Nice effective BW calcs in App A. I would add to that, the ENBW for a two pole filter, f_3dB and Q, is ENBW = f_3dB * Q *pi/2 = ~1.11 f_3dB (Q=0.707.. Butterworth) George H.
On 2020-02-26 13:36, George Herold wrote:
> On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 2:47:45 PM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote: >> On 2020-02-24 11:47, George Herold wrote: >>> On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 6:55:54 AM UTC-5, plastco...@gmail.com wrote: >>>> 1) grounded detector, grounded source/emitter HF transistor >>>> 2) true zero-bias operation of detector >>>> 3) my circuit is simpler >>>> I like to read books)) >>> >>> OK, what do you find better about zero bias operation? >>> I should admit that for many years I ran all my PD's at >>> zero bias. I thought this gave me better 'zero' light detection. >>> (No DC offset with no light... but the dark current from >>> PDs is generally pretty low.) >>> Running with some bias has two main advantages. >>> 1.) reduced C.. faster >>> 2.) Higher saturation current (light intensity) without bias the >>> electrons build up in the junction and it saturates.. more light >>> gives no more electrons. >>> >>> George H. >>> (who is addicted to reading... I need to find a few new fiction writers) >>> >> >> Zero bias is better in one respect: you can get zero leakage current. >> For jobs such as very wide range, very slow photometers, that's a win. >> Garry Epeldauer et al. wrote a beautiful paper about getting 14 orders >> of magnitude in photocurrent, if you don't mind being stuck with >> millihertz bandwidths: >> >> <https://electrooptical.net/www/optics/eppeldauer14decadephotocurrent.pdf> > Hi Phil, I downloaded the above and was chewing through it last night. > Great stuff! > 1.) Rs (PD shunt resistance... I've always just treated this as > infinite. Can I measure leakage current and get Rs? > 2.) pg 3094 has a nice discussion of 1/f noise. > 3.) Are there even better low current opamps these days? > 4.) Nice effective BW calcs in App A. > I would add to that, the ENBW for a two pole filter, f_3dB and Q, > is > ENBW = f_3dB * Q *pi/2 = ~1.11 f_3dB (Q=0.707.. Butterworth) >
Re: noise BW Yeah, it's like 1.22x for two noninteracting RC poles, so 1.11 for Butterworth sounds roughly right. Re: shunt resistance For bias voltages << kT/e, both the forward and reverse diffusion currents are contributing to the conductance--it's just dI/dV, and so is fairly far from zero for a large-area diode run at zero bias. Ideally the effective shunt resistance goes up by a factor of 2 or so with 50 mV of reverse bias, because you shut off the reverse diffusion current without introducing significant additional leakage. That's a super useful trick with InGaAs diodes in dim light. re: 1/f noise Haven't read it recently, but in photodiodes you actually can get significant 1/f noise at zero bias, unlike in the case of resistors. re: low current op amps BITD I used to really like the OPA111. Its performance was easy to remember: 1 MHz bandwidth, 1 mV offset, 1 uV/K drift, 1 pA input bias. (See? I haven't used one in 30 years and I still remember.) ;) It was one of the primo op amps used in early tunnelling and atomic force microscopy. Of course it's noisy, but not nearly as bad as the other popular super-high-Z op amp of the day, namely the LM11. Nowadays there are much better choices, e.g. JL's fave OPA197. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 4:57:32 PM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 2020-02-26 13:36, George Herold wrote: > > On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 2:47:45 PM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote: > >> On 2020-02-24 11:47, George Herold wrote: > >>> On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 6:55:54 AM UTC-5, plastco...@gmail.com wrote: > >>>> 1) grounded detector, grounded source/emitter HF transistor > >>>> 2) true zero-bias operation of detector > >>>> 3) my circuit is simpler > >>>> I like to read books)) > >>> > >>> OK, what do you find better about zero bias operation? > >>> I should admit that for many years I ran all my PD's at > >>> zero bias. I thought this gave me better 'zero' light detection. > >>> (No DC offset with no light... but the dark current from > >>> PDs is generally pretty low.) > >>> Running with some bias has two main advantages. > >>> 1.) reduced C.. faster > >>> 2.) Higher saturation current (light intensity) without bias the > >>> electrons build up in the junction and it saturates.. more light > >>> gives no more electrons. > >>> > >>> George H. > >>> (who is addicted to reading... I need to find a few new fiction writers) > >>> > >> > >> Zero bias is better in one respect: you can get zero leakage current. > >> For jobs such as very wide range, very slow photometers, that's a win. > >> Garry Epeldauer et al. wrote a beautiful paper about getting 14 orders > >> of magnitude in photocurrent, if you don't mind being stuck with > >> millihertz bandwidths: > >> > >> <https://electrooptical.net/www/optics/eppeldauer14decadephotocurrent.pdf> > > Hi Phil, I downloaded the above and was chewing through it last night. > > Great stuff! > > 1.) Rs (PD shunt resistance... I've always just treated this as > > infinite. Can I measure leakage current and get Rs? > > 2.) pg 3094 has a nice discussion of 1/f noise. > > 3.) Are there even better low current opamps these days? > > 4.) Nice effective BW calcs in App A. > > I would add to that, the ENBW for a two pole filter, f_3dB and Q, > > is > > ENBW = f_3dB * Q *pi/2 = ~1.11 f_3dB (Q=0.707.. Butterworth) > > > > Re: noise BW > Yeah, it's like 1.22x for two noninteracting RC poles, so 1.11 for > Butterworth sounds roughly right.
Yeah well the 1.11 number is in AoE so I figured everyone knew it. :^)
> > Re: shunt resistance > > For bias voltages << kT/e, both the forward and reverse diffusion > currents are contributing to the conductance--it's just dI/dV, and so is > fairly far from zero for a large-area diode run at zero bias.
Huh OK... I did this measurement on bpw34 today. At modest voltages (6 to 21V I got ~10 mV from a TIA with 100 meg FB ~0.1 nA.. at 10V rev. that's ~100 G ohm..!? OK I was also seeing ~10 mVrms of 60 Hz crude.. so I'm not sure of these numbers.
> > Ideally the effective shunt resistance goes up by a factor of 2 or so > with 50 mV of reverse bias, because you shut off the reverse diffusion > current without introducing significant additional leakage. That's a > super useful trick with InGaAs diodes in dim light. > > re: 1/f noise > Haven't read it recently, but in photodiodes you actually can get > significant 1/f noise at zero bias, unlike in the case of resistors.
Oh, probably simple stuff you know, but it resonated with me. 1/f noise density (V^2) ~ Log(f_high/f_low) And then if you are recording a number (P) of separate measurements. The low freq BW ~1/P and the noise density goes as Log(P) the number of measurements... "Oh", I said to myself.
> > re: low current op amps > > BITD I used to really like the OPA111. Its performance was easy to > remember: 1 MHz bandwidth, 1 mV offset, 1 uV/K drift, 1 pA input bias. > (See? I haven't used one in 30 years and I still remember.) ;) > > It was one of the primo op amps used in early tunnelling and atomic > force microscopy. Of course it's noisy, but not nearly as bad as the > other popular super-high-Z op amp of the day, namely the LM11. > > Nowadays there are much better choices, e.g. JL's fave OPA197.
Thanks, I saw the opa111 was the last time buy on DK.. for ~$50 you can relive past. :^) George H. Re opa197: at least spec wise doesn't the opa192 knock it away? (maybe I'm missing something?) (5uV offset and 0.2 uV/C drift)
> > Cheers > > Phil Hobbs > > -- > Dr Philip C D Hobbs > Principal Consultant > ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics > Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics > Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 > > http://electrooptical.net > http://hobbs-eo.com
On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 16:57:25 -0500, Phil Hobbs

>On 2020-02-26 13:36, George Herold wrote: >> On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 2:47:45 PM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote: >>> On 2020-02-24 11:47, George Herold wrote: >>>> On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 6:55:54 AM UTC-5, plastco...@gmail.com wrote: >>>>> 1) grounded detector, grounded source/emitter HF transistor >>>>> 2) true zero-bias operation of detector >>>>> 3) my circuit is simpler >>>>> I like to read books)) >>>> >>>> OK, what do you find better about zero bias operation? >>>> I should admit that for many years I ran all my PD's at >>>> zero bias. I thought this gave me better 'zero' light detection. >>>> (No DC offset with no light... but the dark current from >>>> PDs is generally pretty low.) >>>> Running with some bias has two main advantages. >>>> 1.) reduced C.. faster >>>> 2.) Higher saturation current (light intensity) without bias the >>>> electrons build up in the junction and it saturates.. more light >>>> gives no more electrons. >>>> >>>> George H. >>>> (who is addicted to reading... I need to find a few new fiction writers) >>>> >>> >>> Zero bias is better in one respect: you can get zero leakage current. >>> For jobs such as very wide range, very slow photometers, that's a win. >>> Garry Epeldauer et al. wrote a beautiful paper about getting 14 orders >>> of magnitude in photocurrent, if you don't mind being stuck with >>> millihertz bandwidths: >>> >>> <https://electrooptical.net/www/optics/eppeldauer14decadephotocurrent.pdf> >> Hi Phil, I downloaded the above and was chewing through it last night. >> Great stuff! >> 1.) Rs (PD shunt resistance... I've always just treated this as >> infinite. Can I measure leakage current and get Rs? >> 2.) pg 3094 has a nice discussion of 1/f noise. >> 3.) Are there even better low current opamps these days? >> 4.) Nice effective BW calcs in App A. >> I would add to that, the ENBW for a two pole filter, f_3dB and Q, >> is >> ENBW = f_3dB * Q *pi/2 = ~1.11 f_3dB (Q=0.707.. Butterworth) >> > >Re: noise BW >Yeah, it's like 1.22x for two noninteracting RC poles, so 1.11 for >Butterworth sounds roughly right. > >Re: shunt resistance > >For bias voltages << kT/e, both the forward and reverse diffusion >currents are contributing to the conductance--it's just dI/dV, and so is >fairly far from zero for a large-area diode run at zero bias. > >Ideally the effective shunt resistance goes up by a factor of 2 or so >with 50 mV of reverse bias, because you shut off the reverse diffusion >current without introducing significant additional leakage. That's a >super useful trick with InGaAs diodes in dim light. > >re: 1/f noise >Haven't read it recently, but in photodiodes you actually can get >significant 1/f noise at zero bias, unlike in the case of resistors. > >re: low current op amps > >BITD I used to really like the OPA111. Its performance was easy to >remember: 1 MHz bandwidth, 1 mV offset, 1 uV/K drift, 1 pA input bias. >(See? I haven't used one in 30 years and I still remember.) ;) > >It was one of the primo op amps used in early tunnelling and atomic >force microscopy. Of course it's noisy, but not nearly as bad as the >other popular super-high-Z op amp of the day, namely the LM11. > >Nowadays there are much better choices, e.g. JL's fave OPA197. > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
I don't use that as a low noise high-performance amp, but as a general-purpose gumdrop. It's stable with a big output cap, 3.3u film or 100u polymer. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet. "Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 9:18:30 PM UTC-5, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 16:57:25 -0500, Phil Hobbs > <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: > > >On 2020-02-26 13:36, George Herold wrote: > >> On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 2:47:45 PM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote: > >>> On 2020-02-24 11:47, George Herold wrote: > >>>> On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 6:55:54 AM UTC-5, plastco...@gmail.com wrote: > >>>>> 1) grounded detector, grounded source/emitter HF transistor > >>>>> 2) true zero-bias operation of detector > >>>>> 3) my circuit is simpler > >>>>> I like to read books)) > >>>> > >>>> OK, what do you find better about zero bias operation? > >>>> I should admit that for many years I ran all my PD's at > >>>> zero bias. I thought this gave me better 'zero' light detection. > >>>> (No DC offset with no light... but the dark current from > >>>> PDs is generally pretty low.) > >>>> Running with some bias has two main advantages. > >>>> 1.) reduced C.. faster > >>>> 2.) Higher saturation current (light intensity) without bias the > >>>> electrons build up in the junction and it saturates.. more light > >>>> gives no more electrons. > >>>> > >>>> George H. > >>>> (who is addicted to reading... I need to find a few new fiction writers) > >>>> > >>> > >>> Zero bias is better in one respect: you can get zero leakage current. > >>> For jobs such as very wide range, very slow photometers, that's a win. > >>> Garry Epeldauer et al. wrote a beautiful paper about getting 14 orders > >>> of magnitude in photocurrent, if you don't mind being stuck with > >>> millihertz bandwidths: > >>> > >>> <https://electrooptical.net/www/optics/eppeldauer14decadephotocurrent.pdf> > >> Hi Phil, I downloaded the above and was chewing through it last night. > >> Great stuff! > >> 1.) Rs (PD shunt resistance... I've always just treated this as > >> infinite. Can I measure leakage current and get Rs? > >> 2.) pg 3094 has a nice discussion of 1/f noise. > >> 3.) Are there even better low current opamps these days? > >> 4.) Nice effective BW calcs in App A. > >> I would add to that, the ENBW for a two pole filter, f_3dB and Q, > >> is > >> ENBW = f_3dB * Q *pi/2 = ~1.11 f_3dB (Q=0.707.. Butterworth) > >> > > > >Re: noise BW > >Yeah, it's like 1.22x for two noninteracting RC poles, so 1.11 for > >Butterworth sounds roughly right. > > > >Re: shunt resistance > > > >For bias voltages << kT/e, both the forward and reverse diffusion > >currents are contributing to the conductance--it's just dI/dV, and so is > >fairly far from zero for a large-area diode run at zero bias. > > > >Ideally the effective shunt resistance goes up by a factor of 2 or so > >with 50 mV of reverse bias, because you shut off the reverse diffusion > >current without introducing significant additional leakage. That's a > >super useful trick with InGaAs diodes in dim light. > > > >re: 1/f noise > >Haven't read it recently, but in photodiodes you actually can get > >significant 1/f noise at zero bias, unlike in the case of resistors. > > > >re: low current op amps > > > >BITD I used to really like the OPA111. Its performance was easy to > >remember: 1 MHz bandwidth, 1 mV offset, 1 uV/K drift, 1 pA input bias. > >(See? I haven't used one in 30 years and I still remember.) ;) > > > >It was one of the primo op amps used in early tunnelling and atomic > >force microscopy. Of course it's noisy, but not nearly as bad as the > >other popular super-high-Z op amp of the day, namely the LM11. > > > >Nowadays there are much better choices, e.g. JL's fave OPA197. > > > >Cheers > > > >Phil Hobbs > > I don't use that as a low noise high-performance amp, but as a > general-purpose gumdrop. It's stable with a big output cap, 3.3u film > or 100u polymer. >
OK Thanks. Is there some nice opamp like this (opa197 or 192) that has a little more GBW? I'm looking at table 4X.2 (AoEx) High spped VFB's... there are a lot to choose from. 50-100 MHz would be nice. opa1611 looks OK George H.
On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 3:55:22 PM UTC-8, George Herold wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 2:13:52 PM UTC-5, plastco...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Russian photodiode for 13 nm, is expensive. > > Example: 4keV photon,...
>.. easier to measure x-ray > energy from a pulse height or total current or something.)
At 4 keV, I'd want a proportional counter with (Xenon?) gas, or a fairly large volume ion chamber (leakage current in biased parallel-plate capacitor). Neither is a tiny solid detector. A phosphor, of course, can generate light flashes when hit by X-rays, and photodiodes can be efficient at detecting the secondary radiation.
For gas sensor :
4 keV / 30 = 133&#275;
For scintillator - SiPM !

http://ixbt.photo/?id=photo:1330019
torsdag den 27. februar 2020 kl. 19.59.42 UTC+1 skrev whit3rd:
> On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 3:55:22 PM UTC-8, George Herold wrote: > > On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 2:13:52 PM UTC-5, plastco...@gmail.com wrote: > > > > Russian photodiode for 13 nm, is expensive. > > > Example: 4keV photon,... > > >.. easier to measure x-ray > > energy from a pulse height or total current or something.) > > At 4 keV, I'd want a proportional counter with (Xenon?) gas, > or a fairly large volume ion chamber (leakage current in biased > parallel-plate capacitor). Neither is a tiny solid detector. > > A phosphor, of course, can generate light flashes when hit by X-rays, > and photodiodes can be efficient at detecting the secondary radiation.
years ago I did X-ray fluorescence spectrometry with an Fe55 source (5.9keV) and a CCD as detector, image processed to find all pixels with empty neighbours