PNP for soft switch and reverse battery protection

Started by Peabody February 9, 2017
Jim Thompson says...

 > Oooops!  I misunderstood your original post.  I only
 > tried reverse voltage protection, not turn-off via the
 > transistor.

 > Do you really need to turn off via the transistor rather
 > than just a switch at the battery?

Yes.  The whole point is not having to use a manual switch.

Besides, it appears reverse polarity protection doesn't work
if the power supply is more than 8V, which would include a
9V battery.

Well, I'll keep working on this, but for now it looks like
two P-channel mosfets will be needed, as others have
suggested.

On 2/11/2017 7:31 PM, Peabody wrote:
> Jim Thompson says... > > > Oooops! I misunderstood your original post. I only > > tried reverse voltage protection, not turn-off via the > > transistor. > > > Do you really need to turn off via the transistor rather > > than just a switch at the battery? > > Yes. The whole point is not having to use a manual switch. > > Besides, it appears reverse polarity protection doesn't work > if the power supply is more than 8V, which would include a > 9V battery. > > Well, I'll keep working on this, but for now it looks like > two P-channel mosfets will be needed, as others have > suggested.
It's a long thread, maybe this was stated. Is there a reason why a Schottky diode can't be used for reverse polarity protection? That seems simpler than adding two transistors. Maybe not. Two of the same line item can be easier in fabrication than two line items. -- Rick C

Did you miss... Message-ID: <6equ9cdnov5br6kbmnd78i70o40ce75jma@4ax.com> ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.
On 12/02/17 11:50, rickman wrote:
> On 2/11/2017 7:31 PM, Peabody wrote: >> Jim Thompson says... >> >> > Oooops! I misunderstood your original post. I only >> > tried reverse voltage protection, not turn-off via the >> > transistor. >> >> > Do you really need to turn off via the transistor rather >> > than just a switch at the battery? >> >> Yes. The whole point is not having to use a manual switch. >> >> Besides, it appears reverse polarity protection doesn't work >> if the power supply is more than 8V, which would include a >> 9V battery. >> >> Well, I'll keep working on this, but for now it looks like >> two P-channel mosfets will be needed, as others have >> suggested. > > It's a long thread, maybe this was stated. Is there a reason why a > Schottky diode can't be used for reverse polarity protection?
Sometimes you simply can't spare 400mV, such as in single-cell applications. A MOSFET that will pass (say) 10amps is a lot smaller and cheaper than a Schottky that will. Clifford Heath.
Jim Thompson says...

 > Did you miss...

Yes I did.  Thanks for asking.  And for the circuit
suggestion.

But I think if I have to use two devices, then I would
rather just use a P-channel mosfet for the polarity
protection.  It wouldn't need any additional parts since its
gate would be tied directly to ground.

Then the switch transistor could either be another mosfet,
or just a simple PNP switch.  With either choice, I wouldn't
need the diodes or the extra resistor.

Clifford Heath says...

 >> It's a long thread, maybe this was stated.  Is there a
 >> reason why a Schottky diode can't be used for reverse
 >> polarity protection?

 > Sometimes you simply can't spare 400mV, such as in
 > single-cell applications.

 > A MOSFET that will pass (say) 10amps is a lot smaller
 > and cheaper than a Schottky that will.

I need very little current, so a Schottky would be cheaper.
But it's mainly the voltage drop.  Anything that produces a
voltage drop just shortens the life of the battery -
assuming the circuit will only operate properly down to a
certain supply voltage.

Also, Schottkys aren't known for having all that great
reverse leakage values, which might make them problematical
for protecting against reverse polarity.

From everything I've read, the P-channel mosfet, installed
backwards, is the school-approved solution for reverse
polarity protection.  They are more expensive, but for my
needs, the TP2104 should work fine, and it's 60 cents at
Digikey, versus maybe 40 cents for a Schottky.

On 12/02/17 16:26, Peabody wrote:
> Clifford Heath says... > >> It's a long thread, maybe this was stated. Is there a > >> reason why a Schottky diode can't be used for reverse > >> polarity protection? > > > Sometimes you simply can't spare 400mV, such as in > > single-cell applications. > > > A MOSFET that will pass (say) 10amps is a lot smaller > > and cheaper than a Schottky that will. > > I need very little current, so a Schottky would be cheaper. > But it's mainly the voltage drop. Anything that produces a > voltage drop just shortens the life of the battery - > assuming the circuit will only operate properly down to a > certain supply voltage. > > Also, Schottkys aren't known for having all that great > reverse leakage values, which might make them problematical > for protecting against reverse polarity. > > From everything I've read, the P-channel mosfet, installed > backwards, is the school-approved solution for reverse > polarity protection. They are more expensive, but for my > needs, the TP2104 should work fine, and it's 60 cents at > Digikey, versus maybe 40 cents for a Schottky.
I have some IRLML6302 that I bought for soft power-switches and reverse protection in single-LiPo applications. $0.37 in singles from Digikey.
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 23:14:17 -0600, Peabody

Yep, like this... <http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/Peabody_Switch_PMOSx2.png> I used this scheme about 20 years ago for a LiIon battery charge chip design I did for California Micro Devices. I don't know if I was the first to do so or not. I actually used only one FET and switched the body connection... the chip was not only a charger, but also a discharge controller. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.
Den s&oslash;ndag den 12. februar 2017 kl. 06.26.22 UTC+1 skrev Peabody:
> Clifford Heath says... > > >> It's a long thread, maybe this was stated. Is there a > >> reason why a Schottky diode can't be used for reverse > >> polarity protection? > > > Sometimes you simply can't spare 400mV, such as in > > single-cell applications. > > > A MOSFET that will pass (say) 10amps is a lot smaller > > and cheaper than a Schottky that will. > > I need very little current, so a Schottky would be cheaper. > But it's mainly the voltage drop. Anything that produces a > voltage drop just shortens the life of the battery - > assuming the circuit will only operate properly down to a > certain supply voltage. > > Also, Schottkys aren't known for having all that great > reverse leakage values, which might make them problematical > for protecting against reverse polarity. > > From everything I've read, the P-channel mosfet, installed > backwards, is the school-approved solution for reverse > polarity protection. They are more expensive, but for my > needs, the TP2104 should work fine, and it's 60 cents at > Digikey, versus maybe 40 cents for a Schottky.
if you don't need the gnd and battery negative to be the same you can use nfets on the low side instead
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 23:14:17 -0600, Peabody
<waybackNO584SPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Jim Thompson says... > > > Did you miss... > > > Message-ID: <6equ9cdnov5br6kbmnd78i70o40ce75jma@4ax.com> > >Yes I did. Thanks for asking. And for the circuit >suggestion. > >But I think if I have to use two devices, then I would >rather just use a P-channel mosfet for the polarity >protection. It wouldn't need any additional parts since its >gate would be tied directly to ground. > >Then the switch transistor could either be another mosfet, >or just a simple PNP switch. With either choice, I wouldn't >need the diodes or the extra resistor. >
Why not use a series schottky diode? -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics