Spice Diode Modeling of Forward Overshoot & Reverse Recovery

Started by Jim Thompson January 30, 2017
On 02/03/2017 11:24 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 11:08:57 -0500, Phil Hobbs > <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: > > [snip] >> >> Hacking together a subcircuit model that produces a similar curve is not >> solving the actual 1-D transport equation. >> >> Cheers >> >> Phil Hobbs > > Sorry. It's behavior is that of diffusion. > > ...Jim Thompson >
Prove it. You might have put in a Gaussian someplace, but that's bolting together special-case _solutions_, not solving the equation. Solving is when you don't know the answer in advance. And I'd bet ten dollars at even money that it won't do a good job on tone bursts in wideband noise, or even on pulses with a lot of fast ringing. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On 02/03/2017 11:26 AM, bulegoge@columbus.rr.com wrote:
> I just love following these pissing contests >
Does that make you a weenie weenie? ;) Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 11:33:47 -0500, Phil Hobbs

>On 02/03/2017 11:24 AM, Jim Thompson wrote: >> On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 11:08:57 -0500, Phil Hobbs >> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: >> >> [snip] >>> >>> Hacking together a subcircuit model that produces a similar curve is not >>> solving the actual 1-D transport equation. >>> >>> Cheers >>> >>> Phil Hobbs >> >> Sorry. It's behavior is that of diffusion. >> >> ...Jim Thompson >> > >Prove it.
I do not have to "prove" anything to you. You are not an expert at Spice behavioral modeling. I am. [snip I work on the basis that my customers are happy with the models I provide, not on any basis that requires your approval. Using terminology that you and Larkin are fond of invoking... do you think your uninformed outbursts on this topic are helping your public image ?>:-} End of discussion. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.
>I work on the basis that my customers are happy with the models I >provide, not on any basis that requires your approval.
Sure. I care about the truth, though, and am prepared to back up what I say with actual arguments. If I'm right, some folks might learn some things, and if I'm wrong, I learn some things too. So it's a win either way. Cheers Phil Hobbs
On 03/02/17 16:43, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 11:33:47 -0500, Phil Hobbs > <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: > >> On 02/03/2017 11:24 AM, Jim Thompson wrote: >>> On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 11:08:57 -0500, Phil Hobbs >>> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: >>> >>> [snip] >>>> >>>> Hacking together a subcircuit model that produces a similar curve is not >>>> solving the actual 1-D transport equation. >>>> >>>> Cheers >>>> >>>> Phil Hobbs >>> >>> Sorry. It's behavior is that of diffusion. >>> >>> ...Jim Thompson >>> >> >> Prove it. > > I do not have to "prove" anything to you. You are not an expert at > Spice behavioral modeling. I am. > > [snip > > I work on the basis that my customers are happy with the models I > provide, not on any basis that requires your approval. > > Using terminology that you and Larkin are fond of invoking... do you > think your uninformed outbursts on this topic are helping your public > image ?>:-} > > End of discussion.
All models are, by definition, incomplete representations. A key point about any modelling is being able to understand the *limits* of the model. Encryption defeats that.
On 03/02/17 16:55, pcdhobbs@gmail.com wrote:
> If I'm right, some folks might learn some things, > and if I'm wrong, I learn some things too. So it's
> a win either way. That seems so obvious to me that I'm always surprised when other people don't see things that way.
Jim Thompson wrote...
> > I work on the basis that my customers are happy with the models > I provide, not on any basis that requires your approval.
Are you primarily selling models as an end product, or IC designs, in which you use your models to be confidant of the result? -- Thanks, - Win
On 3 Feb 2017 09:20:19 -0800, Winfield Hill <hill@rowland.harvard.edu>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote... >> >> I work on the basis that my customers are happy with the models >> I provide, not on any basis that requires your approval. > > Are you primarily selling models as an end product, > or IC designs, in which you use your models to be > confidant of the result?
Right now my business is about 10/40/50 discrete/chip design/behavioral modeling. The behavioral models are for customer's chip designs that they wish to keep the innards proprietary. So they provide me with schematics and device-level netlists. I exercise (exorcise sometimes ;-) them is PSpice and then simplify the models to behavioral components that inhibit reverse engineering. In particular my COSH(TANH(...)) OpAmp core model is virtually a dead-on match to the device-level netlist, but totally useless to anyone attempting to reverse engineer. I'm cultivating the behavioral modeling end of my business because it's fun (almost a puzzle-solving game ;-)... chip design, with my 55+ years of experience, has become pretty much a boring turn-the-crank exercise... I've done it all before. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.
On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 10:58:31 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On 3 Feb 2017 09:20:19 -0800, Winfield Hill <hill@rowland.harvard.edu> >wrote: > >>Jim Thompson wrote... >>> >>> I work on the basis that my customers are happy with the models >>> I provide, not on any basis that requires your approval. >> >> Are you primarily selling models as an end product, >> or IC designs, in which you use your models to be >> confidant of the result? > >Right now my business is about 10/40/50 discrete/chip >design/behavioral modeling. > >The behavioral models are for customer's chip designs that they wish >to keep the innards proprietary. > >So they provide me with schematics and device-level netlists. > >I exercise (exorcise sometimes ;-) them is PSpice and then simplify >the models to behavioral components that inhibit reverse engineering. > >In particular my COSH(TANH(...)) OpAmp core model is virtually a >dead-on match to the device-level netlist, but totally useless to >anyone attempting to reverse engineer. > >I'm cultivating the behavioral modeling end of my business because >it's fun (almost a puzzle-solving game ;-)... chip design, with my 55+ >years of experience, has become pretty much a boring turn-the-crank >exercise... I've done it all before. > > ...Jim Thompson
Only insecure people keep boasting about themselves. You are sounding like Obama, lots of "I"s. And what happened to "end of discussion" ? -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 10:18:18 -0800, John Larkin
<jjlarkinxyxy@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

[snip]
> >Only insecure people keep boasting about themselves. You are sounding >like Obama, lots of "I"s. > >And what happened to "end of discussion" ?
Why don't you mind your own business? I was responding to Win's questions? And you stuck your butt into the conversation uninvited. As for "I"... I am the greatest >:-} I don't know why I ever un-blacklisted you... back you go... your contributions and comments are worthless. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.