Transistor Conversion of Tube Amplifier

Started by Kevin Foster August 1, 2016
Low current doesn't help the tr's hf response - which presumably is lousy at the best of times. From 1952 CK722 datasheet - which is rather brief: Abs max: Vce 20v, Ic 5mA. Pdiss 30mW @ 30C amb. Tamb max 50C. Average gain characteristics: Vc 1.5v, Ic 0.5mA, Ib 20uA, beta 12, power gain 30bD, NF 22dB@1kHz. With 1k source, 20k load. NT
On 8/3/2016 1:06 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
> John S wrote: >> On 8/1/2016 6:01 PM, Kevin Foster wrote: >>> The circuit linked below appears to be a conversion of a three stage >>> inverting tube amp tube to a transistor circuit, powered by 3VDC. >>> >>> https://app.box.com/s/dwflbolnqe58ra9c1kssqjuq14dulxo0 >>> >>> It appears to be intended to capture high frequency ambient signals and >>> re-broadcast them. It may also be designed to self-oscillate to add a >>> carrier wave. >> >> Perhaps. Or maybe the output coil and input coil are lightly coupled by >> distance and maybe it is a metal detector? >> >>> In any case, I would like to build it out of curiosity to see what it >>> does. >> >> That is admirable. >> >>> Can anyone please explain the function of the inductors, and what might >>> be a suitable value for same? >> >> I think Tabbypurr explained the function. >> >> Values. Hmmm. Well, the dia is .25" and the length is .75". No magnetic >> core is indicated so that's pretty much all we have to go on. Maybe it >> is air-core? What wire size shall we use for an estimate? Let's start >> with #30 AWG. >> >> I calculate the inductance could be 10uH with 75 turns on, say a wooden >> dowel. >> >>> What would be a modern equivalent of the CK722 PNP Germanium transistor? >> >> That's difficult. My bet is that the 722 did not have much HF gain so >> using some other device may have its consequences. >> >> You can buy (for collector's prices, link below) the original >> transistor. Otherwise, I suggest you search for germanium PNP >> transistors. If it were me, I'd just try it with a jellybean PNP, >> (whatever you have on hand) just to see what happens. That's your aim >> anyway, yes? >> >> You have a larger problem facing you. There is nothing to indicate the >> "Well" and "Plate" coil characteristics. Also, there seems to be no >> indication of value for the "Rate" cap variable capacitors nor the pot >> below them. >> >> Good luck. Please report back with your success. >> >>> >>> Thank you for any advice. >>> >>> Kevin Foster >> >> Maybe go for the original transistor?... >> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GERMANIUM-NOS-RAYTHEON-TRANSISTORS-CK722-CK718-CK721-2N63-/291834924222> >> >> > OK, i give up; where in the heck did you get those dimensions? >
On the drawing he linked to.
On 08/02/2016 12:59 PM, John S wrote:

> You can buy (for collector's prices, link below) the original > transistor. Otherwise, I suggest you search for germanium PNP > transistors. If it were me, I'd just try it with a jellybean PNP, > (whatever you have on hand) just to see what happens. That's your aim > anyway, yes? > Maybe go for the original transistor?... > <http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GERMANIUM-NOS-RAYTHEON-TRANSISTORS-CK722-CK718-CK721-2N63-/291834924222> >
There are tons of ex-Soviet germanium PNPs on eBay for cheap, and it should be possible to find a cross-reference. Many Soviet active components were spec-copies of US devices anyway..
Judging by the layout below, it seems the chokes are individual, and probably air core. https://app.box.com/s/gjr4rrba3cmsbak5o5zfsemz7h9rcjpk The final cap value chosen appears to be 70pF. Any further assessment of the circuit based upon this would be most appreciated. Keven Foster
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 02:59:42 UTC+1, Kevin Foster  wrote:

> Judging by the layout below, it seems the chokes are individual, and > probably air core. > > https://app.box.com/s/gjr4rrba3cmsbak5o5zfsemz7h9rcjpk > > The final cap value chosen appears to be 70pF. > > Any further assessment of the circuit based upon this would be most > appreciated. > > Keven Foster
In 1955 one paid a heavy premium for transistors, so the finished device must need portability & low power consumption. All the chokes oriented the same means some coupling is inevitable. I don't know if it's worth looking at which paths create nfb & which pfb. Low frequency might make this minor, I don't know. NT
Reminds me of this with different transistors: http://www.wdjensen123.com/hieronymus/Plans_files/image004.jpg from here: http://www.wdjensen123.com/hieronymus/Plans.htm I don't think it does anything. Please report back if you find out otherwise. Mark L. Fergerson