Behavior transistor models?

Started by Robert Baer September 29, 2014
"RobertMacy"  wrote in message news:op.xm2o7w2c2cx0wh@ajm...

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 13:13:28 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@on-my-web-site.com> wrote:

>> ...snip.... > If it says... > > .MODEL ModelName NPN(... > >> it's conventional BJT, and BJT parameters have been fitted to the >> datasheet > >> If it says... > >> .SUBCKT ModelName Node(s) [PARAMS: ...] > >> it's behavioral > > ...Jim Thompson
>Oh, I always called them models [even if they're a subckt] and behavioural >[because the subckt is based upon observation, not basic principles]
It gets into a grey area as, for example, there are parameters in standard spice models that are there empirically, not because of a 3D physics based analysis.
>For example, I always thought behavioural was made up of a conglomeration >of mathematical components that 'acted' like the component. not based upon >basic, deep down principles of a particular mask set using a semiconductor >process.
Probably a bit of individual preferences for the name "behavioural". For me I agree with what you say. I usually only refer to "behavioural" as mathematical expressions and ideal components. However, in Spice this will always be achieved by putting the description in a .subcuit. If one then makes say, a diode by an exp() function, one might end up just using a diode, so it morphs into mix of mathematics and Spice parts to make, what is still, essentially, a "behavioural" description. In SuperSpice I actually a set of components, like edged clocked d-types using nothing more than tanh() Kevin Aylward www.kevinaylward.co.uk www.anasoft.co.uk - SuperSpice