Forums

9V Battery or 2 x AAA with 9V Converter

Started by Unknown May 12, 2014
On Wed, 14 May 2014 03:51:27 -0500, John Fields
<jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 May 2014 22:47:55 -0700, miso <miso@sushi.com> wrote: > >>Martin Brown wrote: >> >>> On 13/05/2014 08:27, miso wrote: >>>> Never use AAA cells. You get twice the capacity in a AA cell at about a >>>> third the cost. >>> >>> The most annoying things are low current devices that will only run on >>> two AAA cells and will not work with NiMH rechargables at all. My phones >>> LED display when the phone is off hook for instance. >>>> >>>> I know people who use the type of battery in the remote to pick between >>>> brands of TVs. I try to run make everything I own AA cell compatible. >>>> >>>> No matter where you go, you can find chickens, 7.62 ammo, and AA cells. >>> >>> Only in the USA and some third world countries. >>> >>> AA cells are the only one of those three commonly stocked in Europe. >>> >> >>You say I can't find chickens and ammo in Europe? What about Poland? > >--- >You might have a hard time of it, but if you were diligent you'd >probably find Poland in Europe. > >John Fields
Bwahahahaha! ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
On 14/05/2014 07:47, rickman wrote:

<snip>

> I can't seem to open that link. You do see my point though, right? It > is very unlikely in my opinion that the lantern battery with much larger > cells would not be able to supply as many mAHr as a D cell.
Lantern batteries are old fashioned things with very limited sales, and battery manufacturers aren't going to upgrade their capacity without good reason, so they use older, cheaper cells in the lantern batteries. I have no evidence for this, but it seems likely. Non sequitur: I once bought a very cheap cordless drill that looked as if it would have something like six D cells in the battery pack. It had six AA cells, some sticky tape and some wood. Cheers -- Syd
On 5/15/2014 8:18 AM, Syd Rumpo wrote:
> On 14/05/2014 07:47, rickman wrote: > > <snip> > >> I can't seem to open that link. You do see my point though, right? It >> is very unlikely in my opinion that the lantern battery with much larger >> cells would not be able to supply as many mAHr as a D cell. > > Lantern batteries are old fashioned things with very limited sales, and > battery manufacturers aren't going to upgrade their capacity without > good reason, so they use older, cheaper cells in the lantern batteries. > > I have no evidence for this, but it seems likely.
Yes, you have no evidence. Lantern batteries are alive and well. They are best bought with the low priced lantern at well under $5 and the entire unit disposed of when depleted. These lamps are big (easy to find when needed) and give off a large beam of light. They are readily available in many stores. I don't think they are in any danger of going away. D cells are used in some lantern batteries rather than the larger cells designed for this size battery because they are cheaper. So the consumer doesn't get what they pay for unless they know to check them before they buy. I always balance a lantern battery on my finger to see if one end is empty.
> Non sequitur: > I once bought a very cheap cordless drill that looked as if it would > have something like six D cells in the battery pack. It had six AA > cells, some sticky tape and some wood.
Does that mean D cells are going away? I don't think so. -- Rick
On 15/05/2014 15:11, rickman wrote:
<snip>

> Does that mean D cells are going away? I don't think so.
Certainly here in the UK you can buy AA and AAA anywhere, C and PP3 (small 9V) in most places, D in many and lantern in few. I have nothing that doesn't use AA, AAA or PP3 (or fixed rechargeables). It must be different over there. Cheers -- Syd
On 15/05/2014 15:36, Syd Rumpo wrote:
> On 15/05/2014 15:11, rickman wrote: > <snip> > >> Does that mean D cells are going away? I don't think so.
+1 If anything is going to go it is C cells.
> Certainly here in the UK you can buy AA and AAA anywhere, C and PP3 > (small 9V) in most places, D in many and lantern in few.
I'd be inclined to say that AA, AAA & PP3 are almost everywhere that sells batteries but C & D are less common. PP9, AD28 and more obscure ones are basically online order only these days. Wilkinsons have a pretty good range including lantern cells.
> I have nothing that doesn't use AA, AAA or PP3 (or fixed rechargeables).
Not even large torches?
> > It must be different over there.
The ones I miss are the large 4.5v (cells approx 1.5xD size) with big carbon rods in and brass terminal screws that were around in my youth. -- Regards, Martin Brown
On 15/05/2014 16:50, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 15/05/2014 15:36, Syd Rumpo wrote: >> On 15/05/2014 15:11, rickman wrote: >> <snip> >> >>> Does that mean D cells are going away? I don't think so. > > +1 > If anything is going to go it is C cells. > >> Certainly here in the UK you can buy AA and AAA anywhere, C and PP3 >> (small 9V) in most places, D in many and lantern in few. > > I'd be inclined to say that AA, AAA & PP3 are almost everywhere that > sells batteries but C & D are less common. PP9, AD28 and more obscure > ones are basically online order only these days. > > Wilkinsons have a pretty good range including lantern cells. > >> I have nothing that doesn't use AA, AAA or PP3 (or fixed rechargeables). > > Not even large torches?
No, all my torches are small LED things and use 3 or 4 AA cells, but I'm not a policeman or a night watchman and don't use my torch for battery.
>> It must be different over there. > > The ones I miss are the large 4.5v (cells approx 1.5xD size) with big > carbon rods in and brass terminal screws that were around in my youth.
They were (door)bell batteries, I think. There was also a 3V battery used for bicycle lights - two cells side by side with a brass strip contact on top and another on the front which contacted the bulb terminal. And a cylindrical 6V(?) with press studs on the ends. Cheers -- Syd
On a sunny day (Thu, 15 May 2014 15:36:19 +0100) it happened Syd Rumpo
<usenet@nononono.co.uk> wrote in <ll2jd0$lnm$1@dont-email.me>:

>On 15/05/2014 15:11, rickman wrote: ><snip> > >> Does that mean D cells are going away? I don't think so. > >Certainly here in the UK you can buy AA and AAA anywhere, C and PP3 >(small 9V) in most places, D in many and lantern in few. > >I have nothing that doesn't use AA, AAA or PP3 (or fixed rechargeables). > >It must be different over there. > >Cheers
The world is changing, here one of my flashlights, with battery out: http://panteltje.com/pub/Cree_rechargable_flashlight_IMG_4478.JPG Li-ion, rechargable, 3.7V 3.2Ah, LED, has several brightness stages, flashing mode too, came with charger. I have several smaller Cree ones, those all have Eneloop AAA those, and will still work a year after charging. All ebay stoff. The big Cree has as defect that it melted the plastic around the LED when I left it on to test howw long the battery lasted. Now the beam looks a bit different... But anyways, Li-ion is the future for now.
>-- >Syd >
On Thu, 15 May 2014 15:36:19 +0100, Syd Rumpo <usenet@nononono.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 15/05/2014 15:11, rickman wrote: ><snip> > >> Does that mean D cells are going away? I don't think so. > >Certainly here in the UK you can buy AA and AAA anywhere, C and PP3 >(small 9V) in most places, D in many and lantern in few. > >I have nothing that doesn't use AA, AAA or PP3 (or fixed rechargeables). > >It must be different over there.
It is. I have a few flashlights with Cs and Ds, and a portable radio with Cs. I had a radio that used Ds but its LCD screen died (so went in the dump). I prefer AAs, for most things and give big negative points to anything using AAAs.
On Thu, 15 May 2014 15:36:19 +0100, Syd Rumpo <usenet@nononono.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 15/05/2014 15:11, rickman wrote: ><snip> > >> Does that mean D cells are going away? I don't think so. > >Certainly here in the UK you can buy AA and AAA anywhere, C and PP3 >(small 9V) in most places, D in many and lantern in few. > >I have nothing that doesn't use AA, AAA or PP3 (or fixed rechargeables). > >It must be different over there. > >Cheers
I have a Bushnell radar gun that uses C cells, and a clock that uses C cells to move some decorative gears whilst the usual AA runs the actual clock hands. You can get AA to C and AA to D cell adapters (mainly for rechargables) but I still see C and D primary cells on the shelves. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Thu, 15 May 2014 16:50:54 +0100, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 15/05/2014 15:36, Syd Rumpo wrote: >> On 15/05/2014 15:11, rickman wrote: >> <snip> >> >>> Does that mean D cells are going away? I don't think so. > >+1 >If anything is going to go it is C cells. > >> Certainly here in the UK you can buy AA and AAA anywhere, C and PP3 >> (small 9V) in most places, D in many and lantern in few. > >I'd be inclined to say that AA, AAA & PP3 are almost everywhere that >sells batteries but C & D are less common. PP9, AD28 and more obscure >ones are basically online order only these days. > >Wilkinsons have a pretty good range including lantern cells. > >> I have nothing that doesn't use AA, AAA or PP3 (or fixed rechargeables). > >Not even large torches?
The standard "Five (D) cell Maglite" which doubles as a cudgel for bludgeoning reprobates.
>> >> It must be different over there. > >The ones I miss are the large 4.5v (cells approx 1.5xD size) with big >carbon rods in and brass terminal screws that were around in my youth.
There are still "lantern batteries" but they are not very cheap. At some point it might be cheaper to buy a car battery which comes with a goodly amount of charge. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany