how to design PIN diode driver - high voltage and high speed

Started by Tiger July 26, 2008
"Phil Hobbs" <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@pergamos.net> wrote in message
> The guys down the hall were building a 100-GHz acoustic microscope that had > to work in superfluid helium. I don't think they ever got it working.
Hmm... perhaps they're working on the 100mpg car X prize by now. :-) 100GHz in the early '80s... definitely pure research, I would think (e.g., you work your best at it, but you don't really expect you'll be able to make it work...).
> > Yes, I would certainly agree that proper filtering to separate thePIN > bias from the RF is a good idea. =A0The faster you need to switch, the > more critical that becomes. =A0It should be an advantage to consider not > only a low-pass filter for the bias but a high pass filter for the RF-- > or other methods to reduce the capacitance that thePINswitch must > drive. =A0Of course, be careful about the return path for the current > that charges the capacitance especially on the receiver side, so that > you do not expose the receiver input to excessive current. =A0A power > mosfet that switches several hundred volts in a few tens of > nanoseconds will be generating quite a bit of available energy to a 50 > ohm 3-30MHz input! =A0If there exists between the fastPINdriver > circuit and thePINdiodes a low pass filter, and also between thePIN > switches and the receiver input (or transmitter output) a high pass > filter, and the filter passbands do not overlap, then there should be > decent isolation to protect the receiver input. =A0I can tell you that I > also usePINdiodeclamps on the input to a receiver I recently put > into production, and they are able to absorb transient energy quite > nicely. =A0They are just diodes normally reverse-biased by several > volts. =A0In a switched system, I would consider driving them actively, > using differential drive so that there is no (or very low) transient > on the RF input that they shunt to ground when they are "on." =A0If the > diodes are matched (as they are in a packaged pair, such as Avago > HSMP-3822) and you drive them to the "off" state symmetrically, they > should inject very low pulse energy into the line they are switching. > The data sheet for the HSMP-3822 has several ideas for getting very > good isolation on the receiver side, once you've gotten isolation from > the high power with a high voltagePINdiode, and there are otherPINdiodeap=
notes on the Avago site.
> > Cheers, > Tom
Hi,Tom Thank you for your reply in my news group"how to design PIN diode driver - high voltage and high speed ?"! I got so much in your answer! In my Antenna switch, in order to avoid input overload of my receiver, a power limiter will be utilized. In your reply , you mentioned that you also use PIN diode clamps on the input to your receiver . My question is , is it able to absorb transient voltage >1 mV (the maximum value of receiver's pre-amp is 1mV )? According your suggestion , i am going to use HSMP-3822 diode pair with 5 volts forward bias(when transmitting ),-5 volts reverse bias(when receiving), on the input of my receiver. Do you think the power limiter plan can absorb the transient energy above 1 mV for the receiver during both the receiving state "ON" and "OFF"? Any suggestions will be appreciated!