Tonghui TH2821A LCR Meter

Started by Mike October 31, 2011
John S <sophi.2@invalid.org> wrote:

> Errr... The Wizard only tests ESR, yes? I don't think a comparison is > possible under the circumstances.
<G> Yes, the comparison is a bit unfair, especially when the Wizard costs more depending on where you buy it.
> If the TH2821A performs to the specs, then the money is minor and the > Wizard looses miserably.
The TH2821A is an incredible value for the price. Apparently it is no longer being produced by Tonghui, and the TH2822 is much more expensive. So perhaps they are dropping the price to clear out the remaining inventory. According to an email I just received on the top853 USB universal programmer, apparently they ship via USPS to the States. So you might get yours a lot sooner, maybe 2 weeks instead of a month.
> John S
Mike
On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 16:42:52 GMT, Mike <spam@me.not> wrote:

>"krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote: > >> On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 22:29:40 GMT, Mike <spam@me.not> wrote: >> >>> >>>John S <sophi.2@invalid.org> wrote: >>> >>>> Hey, Mike - >>>> >>>> How long did it take to get your meter? >>> >>>> John S >>> >>>I ordered it on Thu, 8 Sep 2011, it was shipped within a day or so, >>>and it arrived on Mon, 3 Oct 2011. >>> >>>That is about normal for shipments from China to Ontario, Canada. You >>>will probably see faster delivery in the US. I forget which delivery >>>service they used. Maybe it was DHL. >> >> Slow boat. ;-) I had a laptop (Lenovo) shipped from China on a >> Monday (China time) and it was delivered on that Wednesday, noonish, >> to my home in Alabama. It came UPS. > >I am in Canada, the land of polar bears and dog sleds. It snows here.
It snows here, too. Twice last year, in fact. Scares the crap outta the natives. ;-)
>I just ordered the top853 USB universal programmer mentioned by Nico >Coesel, http://www.ebay.com/itm/160378432470
Neat.
>I just received the following email from them: > > We shipped YOUR item from our office today. > > 1)If you are in United States, we ship your order via USPS First > Class mail Internationl. The estimated the delivery time is about > 7~10 days.
It is amazing. DealXtreme ships to the US via airmail for a couple of dollars. It doesn't take anywhere near a week.
> 2)If you are outside of United States, we ship your order via > standard air mail. > > The delivery shipping time is about 20~35 days according to your > countries. > >I lived in the States for 30 years before returning to Canada. I sure >miss the fast postal service you have down there. A letter across town >usually went overnight. Here, it takes 5 business days. That means you >have to add two more days for the weekend:)
Next day within the state. If they had anyone who knew how to run a business maybe they wouldn't be going under.
On 11/8/2011 4:29 PM, Mike wrote:
> John S<sophi.2@invalid.org> wrote: > >> Hey, Mike - >> >> How long did it take to get your meter? > >> John S > > I ordered it on Thu, 8 Sep 2011, it was shipped within a day or so, and it > arrived on Mon, 3 Oct 2011. > > That is about normal for shipments from China to Ontario, Canada. You will > probably see faster delivery in the US. I forget which delivery service > they used. Maybe it was DHL. > > I really like the dissipation factor on electrolytics. You don't have to > measure the ESR, then go to a lookup table to figure out if that is the > proper value for the capacitance.
I was not aware that there was a lookup table for this. Even if I don't need it, I'd like to see it. Where can I find it?
> I just look at the dissipation factor, and if it's greater than about 0.2 > for an older cap, toss it. This is a big time saver. > > Mike
How did you determine a D of 0.2 is the limit? Tell me more about D and ESR, please. John S
On 11/9/2011 10:42 AM, Mike wrote:
> "krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"<krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote: > >> On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 22:29:40 GMT, Mike<spam@me.not> wrote: >> >>> >>> John S<sophi.2@invalid.org> wrote: >>> >>>> Hey, Mike - >>>> >>>> How long did it take to get your meter? >>> >>>> John S >>> >>> I ordered it on Thu, 8 Sep 2011, it was shipped within a day or so, >>> and it arrived on Mon, 3 Oct 2011. >>> >>> That is about normal for shipments from China to Ontario, Canada. You >>> will probably see faster delivery in the US. I forget which delivery >>> service they used. Maybe it was DHL. >> >> Slow boat. ;-) I had a laptop (Lenovo) shipped from China on a >> Monday (China time) and it was delivered on that Wednesday, noonish, >> to my home in Alabama. It came UPS. > > I am in Canada, the land of polar bears and dog sleds. It snows here.
You have my sympathies (unless you like that climate). I live near Dallas, Texas where the weather can go from 110F in the summer to (rarely) 10F in the winter. We are having a historical drought right now. At the moment it is 68F and sunny. I've entertained the idea of moving to Belize.
> I lived in the States for 30 years before returning to Canada. I sure > miss the fast postal service you have down there. A letter across town > usually went overnight. Here, it takes 5 business days. That means you > have to add two more days for the weekend:) > > Mike
That is the major reason I have rejected the idea of moving to Belize. I am in the habit of getting the things I want from Mouser or Digikey or whatever in a couple of days. That wouldn't happen down there. John S
  John S <sophi.2@invalid.org> wrote:

  > I was not aware that there was a lookup table for this. Even  if I
  > don't need it, I'd like to see it. Where can I find it?

  >> I just  look at the dissipation factor, and if it's  greater than
  >> about 0.2 for an older cap, toss it. This is a big time saver.

  >> Mike

  > How did you determine a D of 0.2 is the limit? Tell me  more about
  > D and ESR, please.

  > John S

  Hi John,

  most of  the ESR meters print a table on the front panel  that shows
  the expected  ESR  for  different values  of  caps.  There  are some
  examples on this page:

  http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm

  The Capacitor  Wizard  doesn't have a table.  Instead,  it  has some
  vague instructions  by  Doug Jones, the  designer  of  the Capacitor
  Wizard. Here is a section from one of the pdf files:

  Well, finding those open caps and good caps was easy. Now  lets look
  at other  bad  caps that require a little more  experience  with the
  Capacitor Wizard and some knowledge about capacitor TYPES and USES.

  You probably  found caps from 1 to 30 ohms ESR in your bad  box. How
  do you tell the good caps from the bad??

  Whether the ESR of a particular capacitor is correct or too high can
  always be  determined  by comparing the  suspicious  capacitor  to a
  known good one of the same value, voltage rating, and type.

  Unfortunately one  doesn't always have another capacitor  to compare
  against. Experience is the best teacher here, however there are some
  general guidelines:

  The higher the rated working voltage, the higher the normal ESR.

  Capacitors used in Power Switching applications need to  have really
  LOW ESR - less than 1/2 ohm Nonpolar Caps are normally less than 1/2
  ohm The next logical question about ESR is "How HIGH is TOO HIGH"?

  Thats a  judgement  call  that can only be  based  on  experience or
  comparison to  a known good cap (or access to  the  engineering data
  from the capacitor or equipment manufacturer - ha ha!). Over 10 ohms
  is certainly too high for most applications. Over 3 ohms is too high
  for Horiz/Vert switching applications. Over 1/2 ohm is too  high for
  power switching applications. By comparison you will gain experience
  and know when to be suspicious. These are my opinions. Here are some
  actual repair situations:

  Example: 47uf  @50vdc measures 25 ohms ESR in circuit - BAD  CAP The
  suspect capacitor is a 47uf @50vdc in a switching power supply for a
  VCR. The Capacitor Wizard has measured 25 ohms ESR in  circuit. That
  is higher  than 15 ohms and much to high for any quality cap.  A new
  capacitor measured  5 ohms ESR. The new capacitor fixed the  VCR. In
  my opinion the new capacitor was not of the highest quality  (5 ohms
  is too  high)  however  it did fix the VCR.  The  use  of  these low
  quality inexpensive import capacitors is probably the reason  we see
  so much  capacitor  failure in con-  sumer  electronic  equipment! A
  higher quality  cap  with a lower ESR of the  same  kind  costs more
  money but will measure less than 1 ohm and be more reliable.

  Conclusion: This  is a higher voltage capacitor and can  be expected
  to normally measure higher than 1/2 ohm. In my judgment  any "switch
  mode" capacitor  that  measures more than 3 ohms ESR  is  suspect no
  matter what the voltage rating.

  However you  may  obviously  get  by with the  5  ohms  ESR  in that
  particular circuit. For comparison, the bad part was checked "out of
  circuit" on  a  well  known competitors $2000  Cap  analyzer  and it
  determined that  the cap was GOOD - even though the ESR  measured 25
  ohms! That  manufacturer made a huge mistake by trying  to calculate
  good and  bad ESR from entered and measured data. It  can't  be done
  reliably. That is why we don't simply have a good/bad  indication on
  our meter  scale.  Any  cap  over 3  ohms  is  suspect.  This  is my
  Experience.

  Example: 1000uf @6vdc measures 1.5 ohms in circuit - BAD CAP This is
  a little  brown 1000uf 6vdc cap used in lots of VCR  switching power
  supplies. The Capacitor Wizard measured 1.5 ohms in circuit. Because
  the capacitors operating voltage is so low (6vdc) and its used  in a
  switching power supply, I would expect a normal ESR reading  of less
  than 1/2  ohm.  Comparison to a known good cap  confirmed  it should
  measure less than 1/2 ohm. Replacing this cap cured the trouble.

  This particular  cap goes bad often as I have many in my box  of bad
  caps gathered from local repair compa- nies. If you work on  VCRs, I
  bet you have some too.

  Summery: (mrm: sp)

  Measuring ESR  is  a very good indicator of  capacitor  failure. For
  switch mode  circuits it is the ONLY reliable capacitor test,  IN or
  OUT of  circuit!. Open caps and caps with really high  ESR  (over 10
  ohms) are easy to find in circuit and need to be replaced.

  Marginal caps  that measure between 1 and 10 ohms  ESR  require some
  experience with  the Capacitor Wizard and/or comparison  to  a known
  good cap  of  the  same  voltage, value,  and  type.  Caps  above an
  operating voltage of 35vdc have a normally higher ESR (around 1 to 3
  ohms) than caps of a lower voltage (less than 1/2 ohm ESR).

  I know of no perfect formula or rule that can always tell normal ESR
  from marginal  ESR other than comparison to a known  good  part. The
  obvious solution  is  to  obtain  the  capacitor  manufacturers data
  manuals on  the  EXACT capacitor measured but that  is  not normally
  practical. As a technician myself I always follow this rule:  "If in
  doubt, replace".  You will eliminate a lot of recalls and  cure many
  weird and undefinable intermittent problems if you follow this rule.

  Doug Jones, Designer of the Capacitor Wizard

  http://midwestdevices.com/_pdfs/FirstTime.pdf

  To find a typical dissipation factor for the Tonghui, I went through
  several boxes of old electrolytic caps. Regardless of  the capacitor
  value, there seemed to be a clear dividing line between good and bad
  caps. I  settled on D = 0.2 as it seemed to be  a  reasonable number
  for most applications, such a bypass and coupling caps.

  However, if  the  application was critical,  such  as  a capacitance
  multiplier for low level dc supply, I'd look for capacitors with the
  lowest D value I could find, and put some in parallel.

  The interesting  thing,  and  this has me  a  bit  confused,  is the
  dissipation factor  does  not seem to be affected much  by  the test
  frequency.

  I would expect the ESR to remain fairly constant with frequency, but
  the capacitive reactance of course will change. So the  impedance of
  the capacitor  will  change with frequency, and I  would  expect the
  dissipation factor to change also.

  I haven't had time to sort this out yet, and I need to get some more
  experience with  this instrument and find out how it  is  making the
  measurement. For  example, take a known good capacitor and  add some
  series resistance and see what happens to the readings. But here are
  some wikipedia references to start with:

  Equivalent series resistance

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalent_series_resistance

  Dissipation factor

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissipation_factor

  Mike
John S <sophi.2@invalid.org> wrote:

> On 11/9/2011 10:42 AM, Mike wrote:
>> I am in Canada, the land of polar bears and dog sleds. It snows here.
> You have my sympathies (unless you like that climate). I live near > Dallas, Texas where the weather can go from 110F in the summer to > (rarely) 10F in the winter. We are having a historical drought right > now. At the moment it is 68F and sunny. I've entertained the idea of > moving to Belize.
Winter is not so bad. You get used to digging your car out of snowbanks and scraping ice from the windshield. There were two things I didn't like much about the states. One was the smog in most cities. That started to make me sick. Now I can't even go near Toronto when it is bad. The other was teenagers with 9 mm and .45 firing them in alleways at night. I got a scanner and started listening to the police trying to catch them. I guess they had scanners also, since I never heard of anyone getting caught. The nights are very quiet here in Midland, Ontario. The police transmissions are encrypted, so it's a waste of time trying to listen. I used to be able to tell the difference between a 9 mm and a .45, but I haven't heard one for such a long time that I probably forgot what they sound like.
>> I lived in the States for 30 years before returning to Canada. I sure >> miss the fast postal service you have down there. A letter across town >> usually went overnight. Here, it takes 5 business days. That means you >> have to add two more days for the weekend:) >> >> Mike > > That is the major reason I have rejected the idea of moving to Belize. > I am in the habit of getting the things I want from Mouser or Digikey > or whatever in a couple of days. That wouldn't happen down there. > > John S
I'd move to Bangkok in an instant. Except right now they are having problems with flooding. But you can get just about any electronic component in minutes, at very cheap prices. And the girls are soooo nice:) Mike
On 11/11/2011 4:05 PM, Mike wrote:
> John S<sophi.2@invalid.org> wrote: > > Winter is not so bad. You get used to digging your car out of snowbanks > and scraping ice from the windshield. There were two things I didn't like > much about the states. One was the smog in most cities. That started to > make me sick. Now I can't even go near Toronto when it is bad.
Yeah. I'm on the north side of Dallas and I can smell the fumes when I go outside.
> The other was teenagers with 9 mm and .45 firing them in alleways at > night. I got a scanner and started listening to the police trying to > catch them. I guess they had scanners also, since I never heard of anyone > getting caught.
Don't have that around here yet, thankfully.
> The nights are very quiet here in Midland, Ontario.
Usually quiet here, too, except for the annoying loud bass thumping from cars driving by.
>> That is the major reason I have rejected the idea of moving to Belize. >> I am in the habit of getting the things I want from Mouser or Digikey >> or whatever in a couple of days. That wouldn't happen down there. >> >> John S > > I'd move to Bangkok in an instant. Except right now they are having > problems with flooding. But you can get just about any electronic > component in minutes, at very cheap prices. And the girls are soooo > nice:) > > Mike
I have friends who are pushing me to retire to the Philippines. They say I can have one or more live-in maids, a beachfront house, etc for less than my monthly costs now. It is persuasive.
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:43:08 -0600, the renowned John S
<sophi.2@invalid.org> wrote:

> >I have friends who are pushing me to retire to the Philippines. They say >I can have one or more live-in maids, a beachfront house, etc for less >than my monthly costs now. It is persuasive.
Foreigners are not allowed to own land in the Philippines, let alone beachfront property, which is probably just as well. Long term leases (eg. 50 years) are possible. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On 11/11/2011 4:53 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:43:08 -0600, the renowned John S > <sophi.2@invalid.org> wrote: > >> >> I have friends who are pushing me to retire to the Philippines. They say >> I can have one or more live-in maids, a beachfront house, etc for less >> than my monthly costs now. It is persuasive. > > Foreigners are not allowed to own land in the Philippines, let alone > beachfront property, which is probably just as well. Long term leases > (eg. 50 years) are possible. > > > Best regards, > Spehro Pefhany
I'm 70. I don't need to own anything anywhere. I'm renting life (and beer) as it is.
On 10/31/2011 9:58 PM, Mike wrote:
> Here's something that may interest some folks here. I just got my new > Tonghui TH2821A LCR Meter, and I'm starting to become quite impressed.
Hey, Mike - Mine came in yesterday. Since the wall wart is 220V, it is useless to me so I cut the chord and used a lab power supply to charge it. This got interesting. With the meter off, the current was only about 5mA. I turned the meter on and the current went to about 140mA. After a period of time which I did not measure, the current dropped back to about 50mA and the battery symbol indicated full charge. This makes me wonder if fast charge takes place only when the meter is on and it just trickle charges with the meter off. Have you noticed a long charging time with the meter off? Cheers, John S