50 kHz VCO w/sine output

Started by George Herold September 27, 2011
On Sep 28, 5:54=A0am, George Herold <gher...@teachspin.com> wrote:

> Finally I offer the following, =A0a Wien bridge oscillator =A0with > varactor diodes as the capacitors. =A0 =A0I was also thinking I could use
Victoriana!
On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:18:06 PM UTC-7, George Herold wrote:
> On Sep 27, 3:40=A0pm, whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:54:36 AM UTC-7, George Herold wrote: > > > 30kHz to 100kHz VCO with sine wave output.
> > > Finally I offer the following, =A0a Wien bridge oscillator =A0with > > > varactor diodes as the capacitors. > > > > Not a great choice, because the Wein bridge requires MATCHED > > capacitors, tuned together, for best performance. =A0 It can be > > done with a few trimmers (probably easiest to trim the offset + gain > > of the control voltages). =A0Then, there's the level translation proble=
> > (the capacitors in a Wien bridge don't have one end grounded).
> Did you look at my schematic? I seem to have it running in LTspice.
It looked OK, but (1) tuning voltage of 0 to 30V is typical to get the full C range of a varicap (and that's gonna go outside most op amp toleranc= e), and (2) the amplitude-stabilizing part of a Wien oscillator will get added in, presumably? It has to oscillate at low V to keep the varicaps in their linear range, so they don't frequency-multiply. Varicap diodes are STILL diodes, they'll rectify if you let the signal get as big as the bias.
On Sep 27, 4:43=A0pm, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 12:44:44 -0700, George Herold wrote: > > On Sep 27, 2:17=A0pm, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com> wrote: > >> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:54:36 -0700, George Herold wrote: > >> > 30kHz to 100kHz VCO with sine wave output. > > >> > I know this has been covered before in previous threads. > > >> > The obvious way to do this is a digital signal generator (DSG) IC > >> > with maybe an A-D to measure the voltage. =A0I=92ve not done much di=
gital
> > in LTspice so I just used a diode and added some more C in parallel. Th=
> > AC voltage across the 'varactor' is less than a volt. =A0By playing aro=
und
> > with the gain control I can probably get reduce that by a factor of two=
.
> > =A0Is that too much? > > The nonlinearity that you're battling isn't the diode conduction -- it's > the diode's varying capacitance as its reverse voltage changes. =A0It's > going to be severe at low voltage/high capacitance. =A0I'm _not_ the > world's smartest SPICE guy, but I do know (more or less) that you want to > simulate the varactor with a really large-area diode. =A0I _think_ that > there's an area parameter that you can dink with, if you copy a diode > model out of the LTSpice library and paste it into your schematic. =A0Or =
go
> out on the World of the Wide Web and find a varactor model. > > I'm thinking that if you want to avoid seeing major distortion you want > to have the AC voltage be more like tens of millivolts, which will leave > you open to noise problems.
Thanks Tim, you may be right. Looking at varactor spec sheets a volt changes the C by ~10% or so. (quite non-linear.) Well the best way may be to build one and measure it. George H.
On Sep 27, 5:00=A0pm, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Tim Wescott wrote: > > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:18:06 -0700, George Herold wrote: > > >> On Sep 27, 3:40 pm, whit3rd <whit...@gmail.com> wrote: > >>> On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:54:36 AM UTC-7, George Herold wrote: > >>>> 30kHz to 100kHz VCO with sine wave output. I was also thinking I > >>>> could do this with a ~20MHz varactor controlled VCO as a variable > >>>> clock into a DSG chip. =A0This looks easier to my unsophisticated > >>>> digital mind. > >>> Workable, of course, but not exactly a VCO anymore... and there's the > >>> Nyquist filtering to do afterward. > > >>>> Finally I offer the following, =A0a Wien bridge oscillator =A0with > >>>> varactor diodes as the capacitors. > >>> Not a great choice, because the Wein bridge requires MATCHED > >>> capacitors, tuned together, for best performance. =A0 It can be done =
with
> >> It was rejected. =A0But perhaps I should push it a bit more! > > > It's what I'd push, if I couldn't convince people to use a DDS or if > > there were some overriding systems reason why a DDS wouldn't do. ... > > I'll second that. Maybe we should make some signs and start a virtual > picket line. Need a nice chant though. "Rah-rah-rah, os-ci-llate, > down-con-vert, rah-rah-rah". Oh, and drums, of course :-)
Can I get some scantily clad drum majorettes too? :^) Seriously walking about last evening, I think this is the way to go! We'll do heterodyning and VCO side band generation. I'll order some varactor diodes and build some LC tank ciruit. Got a favorite oscillator circuit? Or should I get something ready to run? Now I just have to convince the 'powers that be'. George H.
On Sep 27, 6:27=A0pm, John S <soph...@invalid.org> wrote:
> On 9/27/2011 3:43 PM, Tim Wescott wrote: > > > > > The nonlinearity that you're battling isn't the diode conduction -- it'=
> > the diode's varying capacitance as its reverse voltage changes. =A0It's > > going to be severe at low voltage/high capacitance. =A0I'm _not_ the > > world's smartest SPICE guy, but I do know (more or less) that you want =
> > simulate the varactor with a really large-area diode. =A0I _think_ that > > there's an area parameter that you can dink with, if you copy a diode > > model out of the LTSpice library and paste it into your schematic. =A0O=
r go
> > out on the World of the Wide Web and find a varactor model. > > > I'm thinking that if you want to avoid seeing major distortion you want > > to have the AC voltage be more like tens of millivolts, which will leav=
> > you open to noise problems. > > Tim - > > I agree. I do not know how to dink with a diode parameter, but I managed > to make a device to simulate a VVC in LTSpice. I no longer have that > file, but I remember using either an arbitrary function generator or a > voltage controlled current to simulate a VVC. It was then that I saw the > sine distortion. > > Sorry I don't have specifics.
No problem, I was thinking that if I reversed the DC voltage across one of the vari-caps then during the amplitude max of the sine wave one vari-cap would be going up and the other down...that might help reduce the distortion. It'll be a fun circuit to play with.. and I'll use the vari-caps in a real LC oscillator. George H.
On 09/28/2011 09:26 AM, George Herold wrote:
> On Sep 27, 6:27 pm, John S<soph...@invalid.org> wrote: >> On 9/27/2011 3:43 PM, Tim Wescott wrote: >> >> >> >>> The nonlinearity that you're battling isn't the diode conduction -- it's >>> the diode's varying capacitance as its reverse voltage changes. It's >>> going to be severe at low voltage/high capacitance. I'm _not_ the >>> world's smartest SPICE guy, but I do know (more or less) that you want to >>> simulate the varactor with a really large-area diode. I _think_ that >>> there's an area parameter that you can dink with, if you copy a diode >>> model out of the LTSpice library and paste it into your schematic. Or go >>> out on the World of the Wide Web and find a varactor model. >> >>> I'm thinking that if you want to avoid seeing major distortion you want >>> to have the AC voltage be more like tens of millivolts, which will leave >>> you open to noise problems. >> >> Tim - >> >> I agree. I do not know how to dink with a diode parameter, but I managed >> to make a device to simulate a VVC in LTSpice. I no longer have that >> file, but I remember using either an arbitrary function generator or a >> voltage controlled current to simulate a VVC. It was then that I saw the >> sine distortion. >> >> Sorry I don't have specifics. > > No problem, I was thinking that if I reversed the DC voltage across > one of the vari-caps then during the amplitude max of the sine wave > one vari-cap would be going up and the other down...that might help > reduce the distortion. It'll be a fun circuit to play with.. and I'll > use the vari-caps in a real LC oscillator. > > George H.
Yup. Varactors are often sold as CA or CC pairs, so you can put the bias on at the midpoint, via a choke or a resistor. That cancels the even-order distortion products, which helps a lot. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 845-480-2058 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On Sep 27, 10:06=A0pm, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSensel...@electrooptical.net> wrote:
> On 09/27/2011 02:17 PM, Tim Wescott wrote: > > > > > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:54:36 -0700, George Herold wrote: > > >> 30kHz to 100kHz VCO with sine wave output. > > >> I know this has been covered before in previous threads. > > >> The obvious way to do this is a digital signal generator (DSG) IC with > >> maybe an A-D to measure the voltage. =A0I=92ve not done much digital s=
tuff
> >> in a while, so this has a bit of a learning curve. =A0But if anyone ha=
> >> some good chips to look at or app notes then please do share. =A0I've =
been
> >> looking at IC's on Analogs web site, but there are a lot to choose fro=
m!
> >> diodes as the capacitors. =A0 =A0I was also thinking I could use crapp=
y Z5U
> >> ceramic caps instead of the varactors. > > > It'll be rough to get the high impedances and low voltage swings you ne=
ed
> > for the Wien bridge oscillator to work either with varactors or with a > > suggestion that I've made previously of using JFETs as variable resisto=
rs.
> > > So: a high frequency VCO to a DDS chip, or a fixed-frequency reference =
> > a DDS that you write a frequency to with a micro, or (if you are for so=
me
> > reason insisting on "analog only") a VCO feeding a mixer, beating again=
st
> > a crystal oscillator. > > > I'd look to the DDS solution, or see if > > you can make a suitable block > > > with a PIC or similar, a good DAC, and some code. > > You can still get low-nanofarad Y5V caps in small sizes, and those plus > a boost converter are about the best things going right now for high > kilohertz stuff. =A0All the MVAM-style varactors are long gone.
Yeah searching for varactor's lots of them were/ are OBSELETE. sigh. PIN photdiodes have C's that change by factors of 4 or 5. But that seems like a spendy solution.
> > I'd probably be wanting to use a tri-wave oscillator with a sine shaper. > =A0 (You don't have to use the crappy diode ones--you can use a tanh to > roll over the peaks and then subtract a bit of the original sine, as we > discussed a year or so back. =A0I posted a suggestion athttp://electroopt=
ical.net/www/sed/sed.html, but it's a much older
> technique.
Hmmm, Thanks Phil, I'd forgotten about that. (I had no need for it at the time.) How do I get a tanh function out of a diff pair. (Yeah, I'll try google too.) George H.
Yeah but the steam punk crowd love our stuff. So that's a feature, and not a bug. Optial pumping was on boing boing a few years ago. http://boingboing.net/tag/steampunk/page/3 Teaching apparatus it's about 2/3 of the way dwon the page. George H.
On Sep 28, 6:21=A0am, George Herold <gher...@teachspin.com> wrote:
> On Sep 27, 5:00=A0pm, Joerg <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote: > > > > > > > Tim Wescott wrote: > > > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:18:06 -0700, George Herold wrote: > > > >> On Sep 27, 3:40 pm, whit3rd <whit...@gmail.com> wrote: > > >>> On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:54:36 AM UTC-7, George Herold wrot=
e:
A couple of words of caution if you decide to go the down-converter route. I missed your final amplitude requirements, but I would caution you if you decide to use the 602 part and require an output approaching 0dBm or better. This really is a low power part with a weak IIP3. Even though you have a single tone at the input, over driving parts such as these can cause funny distortion effects. Re VCO: I doubt very seriously that you could use a free running VCO. The damn thing will just be doing to much of the =93wautsi=94. So plan on lock=92d VCO. I would recommend, as others have suggested, a DDS system. You might consider getting an eval board from AD. They use to pass those things out like candy. But in this economy, who knows. The big advantage of the eval board is that they come with control software that can be run off the pc. Hope this helps.
On Sep 28, 1:14=A0am, whit3rd <whit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:18:06 PM UTC-7, George Herold wrote: > > On Sep 27, 3:40=A0pm, whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:54:36 AM UTC-7, George Herold wrote: > > > > 30kHz to 100kHz VCO with sine wave output. > > > > Finally I offer the following, =A0a Wien bridge oscillator =A0with > > > > varactor diodes as the capacitors. > > > > Not a great choice, because the Wein bridge requires MATCHED > > > capacitors, tuned together, for best performance. =A0 It can be > > > done with a few trimmers (probably easiest to trim the offset + gain > > > of the control voltages). =A0Then, there's the level translation prob=
lem
> > > (the capacitors in a Wien bridge don't have one end grounded). > > Did you look at my schematic? =A0I seem to have it running in LTspice. > > It looked OK, but (1) tuning voltage of =A00 to 30V is typical to get the > full C range of a varicap (and that's gonna go outside most op amp tolera=
nce),
> and (2) the amplitude-stabilizing part of a Wien oscillator will > get added in, presumably? =A0It has to oscillate at low V to keep the > varicaps in their linear range, so they don't frequency-multiply. > Varicap diodes are STILL diodes, they'll rectify if you let the signal > get as big as the bias.
Thanks Whit3rd, For the tuning range I might have to move the circuit 'ground' around a bit. But, i'm probably stuck once the once the varactor C's get below 10pF or so... stray capacitance will eat up any changes. For gain control I just had back to back diodes and a series resistor across the feed back R. Here's the LTspice file, Sorry about the LT1354, but I don't do much spicing and have problems getting the right .include files. If you change parameters and it has trouble starting then goose R2 lower a bit. George H. Version 4 SHEET 1 948 1108 WIRE 352 -16 288 -16 WIRE -16 16 -48 16 WIRE 288 16 288 -16 WIRE 288 16 112 16 WIRE 416 16 416 -16 WIRE 480 16 416 16 WIRE -48 48 -48 16 WIRE 288 48 288 16 WIRE 352 48 288 48 WIRE 416 48 416 16 WIRE -16 128 -16 16 WIRE 0 128 -16 128 WIRE 112 128 112 16 WIRE 112 128 80 128 WIRE 176 128 112 128 WIRE 560 128 560 16 WIRE 560 128 256 128 WIRE 720 128 560 128 WIRE 112 224 112 128 WIRE 128 224 112 224 WIRE 720 240 720 128 WIRE 720 240 192 240 WIRE -48 256 -96 256 WIRE 32 256 -48 256 WIRE 112 256 32 256 WIRE 128 256 112 256 WIRE -48 272 -48 256 WIRE 32 272 32 256 WIRE 512 272 400 272 WIRE 624 272 512 272 WIRE 512 304 512 272 WIRE -288 320 -288 304 WIRE -176 320 -176 304 WIRE -96 336 -96 320 WIRE -48 336 -96 336 WIRE 400 352 400 272 WIRE 400 352 384 352 WIRE 32 368 32 352 WIRE 112 368 112 256 WIRE 128 368 112 368 WIRE 208 368 192 368 WIRE 304 368 288 368 WIRE 320 368 304 368 WIRE 624 368 624 272 WIRE 624 368 608 368 WIRE 400 384 384 384 WIRE 416 384 400 384 WIRE 512 384 496 384 WIRE 544 384 512 384 WIRE 624 400 608 400 WIRE 720 400 720 240 WIRE 720 400 704 400 WIRE -288 416 -288 400 WIRE -176 416 -176 400 WIRE 112 448 112 368 WIRE 192 448 192 368 WIRE 192 448 176 448 WIRE -48 464 -48 336 WIRE 16 464 -48 464 WIRE 304 480 304 368 WIRE 400 480 400 384 WIRE 400 480 384 480 WIRE 512 480 512 384 WIRE 544 480 512 480 WIRE 624 480 624 400 WIRE -48 496 -48 464 WIRE 288 512 224 512 WIRE 96 528 96 464 WIRE 160 528 96 528 WIRE 256 544 224 544 WIRE 288 560 288 512 WIRE 352 560 288 560 WIRE 464 560 352 560 WIRE 624 560 624 480 WIRE 624 560 544 560 WIRE -48 608 -48 560 WIRE 96 624 96 528 WIRE 256 624 256 544 WIRE 256 624 96 624 WIRE 352 656 352 640 FLAG -288 304 +V FLAG -176 416 0 FLAG -288 416 0 FLAG -176 304 -V FLAG 32 368 0 FLAG -48 608 0 FLAG 512 304 0 FLAG 352 656 0 FLAG -48 48 0 FLAG 160 208 +V FLAG 160 272 -V SYMBOL voltage -288 304 R0 SYMATTR InstName V1 SYMATTR Value 15 SYMBOL voltage -176 304 R0 SYMATTR InstName V2 SYMATTR Value -15 SYMBOL res 272 112 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value 10K SYMBOL res 96 112 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName R2 SYMATTR Value 4.6K SYMBOL res 304 352 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName R3 SYMATTR Value 100K SYMBOL res 16 368 M180 WINDOW 0 36 76 Left 2 WINDOW 3 36 40 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName R4 SYMATTR Value 100K SYMBOL cap 192 352 R90 WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName C1 SYMATTR Value 20pF SYMBOL cap -64 272 R0 SYMATTR InstName C2 SYMATTR Value 20pF SYMBOL res 720 384 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName R6 SYMATTR Value 10k SYMBOL res 640 464 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName R7 SYMATTR Value 10k SYMBOL res 512 368 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName R8 SYMATTR Value 10k SYMBOL res 400 464 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName R9 SYMATTR Value 10k SYMBOL cap -64 496 R0 SYMATTR InstName C4 SYMATTR Value 10=B5f SYMBOL res 112 448 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName R10 SYMATTR Value 10 SYMBOL voltage 352 544 R0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2 WINDOW 0 31 36 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName V3 SYMATTR Value 5 SYMBOL res 560 544 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName R11 SYMATTR Value 10k SYMBOL OPAMPS\\OPAMP 576 448 R180 SYMATTR InstName U1 SYMBOL OPAMPS\\OPAMP 352 432 R180 SYMATTR InstName U3 SYMBOL OPAMPS\\OPAMP 192 592 R180 SYMATTR InstName U4 SYMBOL Opamps\\LT1354 160 176 R0 SYMATTR InstName U2 SYMBOL diode 416 32 R90 WINDOW 0 0 32 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 32 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName D2 SYMBOL diode 352 0 R270 WINDOW 0 32 32 VTop 2 WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 2 SYMATTR InstName D4 SYMBOL res 576 0 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2 SYMATTR InstName R5 SYMATTR Value 10K SYMBOL diode -112 256 R0 SYMATTR InstName D5 SYMBOL diode 112 464 R270 WINDOW 0 32 32 VTop 2 WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 2 SYMATTR InstName D6 TEXT 168 784 Left 2 !.tran 0 10ms 0 5u startup TEXT 512 752 Left 2 !.include opamp.sub