Low frequency analog VCO with sinewave output?

Started by davew August 24, 2011
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:23:49 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

> "Tim Wescott = a Fucking Liar" > > >> This from Phil "All conceivable operational amplifiers can drive only >> 20mA" Allison. > > ** That is a fucking absurd lie. > > YOU made that error - not me.
You mean -- I made the error of thinking that there may be operational amplifiers out there that can drive more than 20mA? Why, yes, Phil, I did. But I didn't then, nor do I consider it now, an error.
>> C'mon Phil, make an assumption and run with it. > > > ** Only autistic ratbags and total nut cases like YOU do stupid shit > like that.
Look in the mirror, dude.
Hmm. Ears -- pink, hairless and short. Tail -- nonexistent. Fingernails -- small. Fingers & toes -- five to each extremity. Nope, not an ass. Sorry, you're wrong again. -- www.wescottdesign.com

davew wrote:

> I'm searching for a simple one chip solution if anyone has any ideas. > Best I've found so far might be the old 8038 function generator chip.
Take ATTiny13, make a predefined lookup table with pre-distorted sinewave, generate a noise chaped PWM. That would be absolutely the cheapest controllable and fairly accurate generator of a good quality sine wave. Vladimir Vassilevsky DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant http://www.abvolt.com
On Aug 25, 4:26=A0am, davew <david.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 6:57=A0pm, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com> wrote: > > > > > On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:28:45 -0700, davew wrote: > > > On Aug 24, 6:24=A0pm, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com> wrote: > > >> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 05:15:09 -0700,BillSlomanwrote: > > >> > On Aug 24, 7:22=A0pm, davew <david.wo...@gmail.com> wrote: > > >> >> I'm searching for a simple one chip solution if anyone has any > > >> >> ideas. Best I've found so far might be the old 8038 function > > >> >> generator chip. > > > >> > If you are restricted to one chip, this is probably as good as it > > >> > gets. It distorts a triangular wave to a tolerable approximation t=
o a
> > > stability isn't so much of a problem as I'm controlling frequency as > > > part of a discrete PLL system. > > > A Wien-bridge oscillator with a couple of FETs for frequency control? > > > An SA602 with a crystal on the oscillator port and a really well filter=
ed
> > VCO oscillator on the antenna port? =A0With the right filtering that'd =
give
> > you a nice clean sine wave, and a frequency range from whatever you can > > call "audio" right down through zero and out the other side. =A0The VCO > > wouldn't need to be buffered -- the '602 doesn't _want_ much power on > > it's antenna port, so you could just filter the snot out of the VCO > > output and tap way down on the output tank circuit. =A0As long as you f=
eed
> > a sine wave in on one port or the other, and stay in the chips linear > > range, you'll get really nice clean sine waves out. > > > --www.wescottdesign.com-Hide quoted text - > > > - Show quoted text - > > Interesting ideas. =A0From memory, doesn't the Wien-bridge oscillator > need some form of amplitude stabilisation? =A0WIll look into that one. > Re the SA602 - are yousaying this would provide a solution in itself > with some external filtering? =A0Will investigate, thanks.
The Wien-bridge does need amplitude stabilisation; it can be as crude as an incandescent filament in small light-bulb (think bicycle lamp) but Jim Williams' various application notes about Wien Bridges for Linear Technology mostly have a proper feed-back-controlled loop to regulate the amplitude. The Wien-bridge doesn't lend itself to variable frequencies, and I don't think that I've ever seen it used in any kind of programmable frequency generator. I'd be interested to hear how Tim Wescott proposed to make the output frequency continuously adjustable. -- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Great. Thanks for all the ideas. Looks like I need to compare the 8038 vs XR2206. Dave W. ----------------------------- I've tested both. On paper they seem similar, but in practice the XR2206 is clearly superior in temperature coefficient, linearity and noise immunity. Also easier to adjust for low distortion. I found no advantage to the 8038 in my application.
On Aug 25, 3:24=A0am, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 05:15:09 -0700, Bill Sloman wrote: > > On Aug 24, 7:22=A0pm, davew <david.wo...@gmail.com> wrote: > >> I'm searching for a simple one chip solution if anyone has any ideas. > >> Best I've found so far might be the old 8038 function generator chip. > > > If you are restricted to one chip, this is probably as good as it gets. > > It distorts a triangular wave to a tolerable approximation to a sine > > wave. > > > You can do better by feeding a square wave through a shift register > > clock at some convenient multiple of the square wave frequency, tying a > > series of resistors to the outputs of the shift register and summing th=
> > currents through the resistors into a virtual earth to produce a > > staircase approximation to a sine wave, but it takes quite a long shift > > register and quite a few close tolerance resistors to do better than th=
> > 8038, and =A0it's still a three chip solution - basically a programmabl=
> > logic device to provide the shift register and the dividers to generate > > the square wave, the VCO to to generate the clock at some fairly high > > multiple of the output frequency, and an op amp to sum the currents fro=
> > the resistors, plus you have to find board space for the resistors. > > > The Analog Devices DDS chips do provide a very good one chip solution - > > the more expensive chips include 14-bit DACs - but it isn't an analog > > solution. > > How about a CD4040 and a bunch of resistors? =A0(I think I mean the CD404=
0
> -- the 4020, 4040, and 4060 are all big-ass counters, one of which has an > oscillator built in). > > It's a ripple counter, but if you're going slow enough the clock glitches > shouldn't get you too bad.
Well, the CD4040 is cheap, but a progammable logic device can provide the same funcion - and a lot more beside - in a single chip, which is one of the things the OP is asking for. And the CD4040 is slow - slow enough for it to be nuisance when I first used the part back in 1975. It looks glacial these days. -- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 18:20:51 -0700, Bill Sloman wrote:

> The Wien-bridge does need amplitude stabilisation; it can be as crude as > an incandescent filament in small light-bulb (think bicycle lamp) but > Jim Williams' various application notes about Wien Bridges for Linear > Technology mostly have a proper feed-back-controlled loop to regulate > the amplitude. > > The Wien-bridge doesn't lend itself to variable frequencies, and I don't > think that I've ever seen it used in any kind of programmable frequency > generator. I'd be interested to hear how Tim Wescott proposed to make > the output frequency continuously adjustable. >
It's right there in my post. What part of "use a JFET as an adjustable resistor" didn't you understand? Note that it's not going to work for the OP: his desired frequency range is just too big. -- Tim Wescott Control system and signal processing consulting www.wescottdesign.com
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:18:46 -0700 (PDT), davew
<david.wooff@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> If you cough up answers to my questions on what you really need, folks >> will be able to give you more specific help. >> >> I understand not wanting to break the digital barrier -- I tend to cross >> that particular Rubicon with ease, yet I have circuits out there that are >> all analog, or that only use "digital" parts in an analog way. > >I'm deliberately trying to make an all analogue design in this case so >it's not that I'm particularly averse to taking a digital approach as >such. > >>> * What frequency range does it need to run in? * How good does it have >>> to be? >LF to MF audio band probably 70Hz - 3KHz > >>> * How quiet does it need to be? >>> How close to a sine does it need to be? >Not sure really, I would have thought 2% THD+N would be good enough >but I find it difficult to be accurate without having performed any >experimentation yet. > >>> * How linear does the command voltage vs. frequency need to be? * >I can only answer "nominally" linear. Definitely not log. > >>> * Temperature range? >10 - 30 degC > >>> * what other questions did I leave out? >Well I suppose the amplitude needs to be reasonably stable with >frequency but again only to within say 10%. > >I think the XR2206 looks promising so far. I've not yet had enough >time to look at your other suggestions but will do. I particularly >like the idea of a Wien-bridge if it's easy enough to tune because >there is no digital switching going on internally, so should be >inherently more quiet. > >Many thanks to all.
Linear techology. AN13 page 12/13 hth - Michael Wieser --
On Aug 25, 6:49=A0pm, Michael Wieser <Mi_Wie...@web.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:18:46 -0700 (PDT), davew > > > > <david.wo...@gmail.com> wrote: > > >> If you cough up answers to my questions on what you really need, folks > >> will be able to give you more specific help. > > >> I understand not wanting to break the digital barrier -- I tend to cro=
ss
> >> that particular Rubicon with ease, yet I have circuits out there that =
are
> >> all analog, or that only use "digital" parts in an analog way. > > >I'm deliberately trying to make an all analogue design in this case so > >it's not that I'm particularly averse to taking a digital approach as > >such. > > >>> * What frequency range does it need to run in? * How good does it hav=
An impressive circuit, through not a single chip solution. Sadly, it depends on the Analog Devices AD639 which was one of Barry Gilbert's more ingenious contributions to electronics - I would have loved to have used it - but it's long obsolete. http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/analogdevices/AD639.pdf -- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 18:20:51 -0700 (PDT), Bill Sloman
<bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote:

>On Aug 25, 4:26&#4294967295;am, davew <david.wo...@gmail.com> wrote: >> On Aug 24, 6:57&#4294967295;pm, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com> wrote: >> >> >> >> > On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:28:45 -0700, davew wrote: >> > > On Aug 24, 6:24&#4294967295;pm, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com> wrote: >> > >> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 05:15:09 -0700,BillSlomanwrote: >> > >> > On Aug 24, 7:22&#4294967295;pm, davew <david.wo...@gmail.com> wrote: >> > >> >> I'm searching for a simple one chip solution if anyone has any >> > >> >> ideas. Best I've found so far might be the old 8038 function >> > >> >> generator chip. >> >> > >> > If you are restricted to one chip, this is probably as good as it >> > >> > gets. It distorts a triangular wave to a tolerable approximation to a >> > >> > sine wave. >> >> > >> > You can do better by feeding a square wave through a shift register >> > >> > clock at some convenient multiple of the square wave frequency, tying >> > >> > a series of resistors to the outputs of the shift register and >> > >> > summing the currents through the resistors into a virtual earth to >> > >> > produce a staircase approximation to a sine wave, but it takes quite >> > >> > a long shift register and quite a few close tolerance resistors to do >> > >> > better than the 8038, and &#4294967295;it's still a three chip solution - >> > >> > basically a programmable logic device to provide the shift register >> > >> > and the dividers to generate the square wave, the VCO to to generate >> > >> > the clock at some fairly high multiple of the output frequency, and >> > >> > an op amp to sum the currents from the resistors, plus you have to >> > >> > find board space for the resistors. >> >> > >> > The Analog Devices DDS chips do provide a very good one chip solution >> > >> > - the more expensive chips include 14-bit DACs - but it isn't an >> > >> > analog solution. >> >> > >> How about a CD4040 and a bunch of resistors? &#4294967295;(I think I mean the >> > >> CD4040 -- the 4020, 4040, and 4060 are all big-ass counters, one of >> > >> which has an oscillator built in). >> >> > >> It's a ripple counter, but if you're going slow enough the clock >> > >> glitches shouldn't get you too bad. >> >> > >> --www.wescottdesign.com-Hidequoted text - >> >> > >> - Show quoted text - >> >> > > Thanks but I'm sticking with the analogue method in this case. Frequency >> > > stability isn't so much of a problem as I'm controlling frequency as >> > > part of a discrete PLL system. >> >> > A Wien-bridge oscillator with a couple of FETs for frequency control? >> >> > An SA602 with a crystal on the oscillator port and a really well filtered >> > VCO oscillator on the antenna port? &#4294967295;With the right filtering that'd give >> > you a nice clean sine wave, and a frequency range from whatever you can >> > call "audio" right down through zero and out the other side. &#4294967295;The VCO >> > wouldn't need to be buffered -- the '602 doesn't _want_ much power on >> > it's antenna port, so you could just filter the snot out of the VCO >> > output and tap way down on the output tank circuit. &#4294967295;As long as you feed >> > a sine wave in on one port or the other, and stay in the chips linear >> > range, you'll get really nice clean sine waves out. >> >> > --www.wescottdesign.com-Hide quoted text - >> >> > - Show quoted text - >> >> Interesting ideas. &#4294967295;From memory, doesn't the Wien-bridge oscillator >> need some form of amplitude stabilisation? &#4294967295;WIll look into that one. >> Re the SA602 - are yousaying this would provide a solution in itself >> with some external filtering? &#4294967295;Will investigate, thanks. > >The Wien-bridge does need amplitude stabilisation; it can be as crude >as an incandescent filament in small light-bulb (think bicycle lamp) >but Jim Williams' various application notes about Wien Bridges for >Linear Technology mostly have a proper feed-back-controlled loop to >regulate the amplitude. > >The Wien-bridge doesn't lend itself to variable frequencies,
Never heard of HP? John
On Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:29:49 PM UTC-7, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 18:20:51 -0700, Bill Sloman wrote: > > > The Wien-bridge doesn't lend itself to variable frequencies, and I don't > > think that I've ever seen it used in any kind of programmable frequency > > generator.
> "use a JFET as an adjustable > resistor"
First problem: it'll take two adjustable elements, and they have to change at the same time, in matched fashion. That's how a Wein bridge works. Matched jFET pairs are unobtainium. Second problem: the voltage range for a jFET as variable resistance is under a volt, and the usual bias assumes one of the terminals of the FET is grounded. The Wein bridge oscillator doesn't support that. A possible workaround (if you can find 'em) is to use photoresistors, in a matched-pair illuminated by a common light source.