Germanium Transistor in Current Production

Started by Fred October 28, 2009
Don Lancaster wrote:
> ChrisQ wrote: >> Robert Baer wrote: >> >>> ..You mean that you are NOT in the market for a working CK722? >> >> No, but even in the uk, I recognise the part number from late 50's >> radio-electronics mags. Sort of uk equivalents of the period were the >> red spot for audio and white spot for rf, though neither were very >> good compared to the mullard 0c44, 45, 71 and 72 series. >> >> My dad made our first transistor superhet radio in 1957 using that >> type of transistor and my first transistor radio, if it deserves the >> name, used a red spot transistor augmenting a crystal detector. >> >> How a mis-spent youth can have a lifetime's effect :-)... >> >> Regards, >> >> Chris > > > The nice thing about the CK722 was that you did not have to worry about > bias. > > IC0 took care of it for you. >
The early uk types had similar characteristics. That first transistor radio had the diode detector feeding into the base with no biasing and hi Z headphones in the collector to a 4.5 volt battery. Used to spend all available time building stuff, but there was little else to do and nothing like the distractions that kids have to face these days... Regards, Chris
Isn't Oliver Germanium still around?

Jim

"Fred" <frederick.brown@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody know of any germanium transistor for audio use that are > in current production? > > Also are the NTE102 and NTE103 or any other NTE offerings any good for > audio, fuzz boxes etc?

Now GPD Optoelectronics Corp http://www.gpd-ir.com/\ RL