Hacking a PCB: How to Remove Coating

Started by Jim Thompson July 1, 2012
I'd try the laquer thinner first as it is a witches brew of chemicals. www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/Lacquer%20Thinner%20(1605.45)%205-21-09.pdf Art
On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 13:11:05 -0700, "Artemus" <bogus@invalid.org> wrote:

> >"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote in message >news:3ig6v7lpvme3a4rqdl0gg3nknt3n551ick@4ax.com... >> >> I can get Acetone or MEK or Lacquer thinner at the hardware store. Any >> ideas which to try? >> >> ...Jim Thompson > I'd try the laquer thinner first as it is a witches brew of chemicals. >www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/Lacquer%20Thinner%20(1605.45)%205-21-09.pdf >Art >
NO SOLVENTS! Fix ONLY the area where the repair is needed to be performed. You ask for severe headaches if you use solvents.

You're not supposed to be inhaling that much of the solvents! http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/Lacquer%20Thinner%20%281605.45%29%205-21-09.pdf Inhalation Acute Exposure Effects: Vapor harmful. May cause dizziness; headache.. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On 2012-07-03, Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers <theslipperman@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> wrote:

> NO SOLVENTS! > > Fix ONLY the area where the repair is needed to be performed.
On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 18:36:47 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
<speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>> You ask for severe headaches if you use solvents. > >You're not supposed to be inhaling that much of the solvents!
Those are not the headaches to which I refer, toot boy.
On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 10:12:29 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 11:50:19 -0500, legg <legg@nospam.magma.ca> wrote: > >>On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 15:50:29 -0700, Jim Thompson >><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >> >>>Hacking a Park-Zone POS to make it work accurately, I find the PCB has >>>a relatively thick clear coating. >>> >>>What's the best way to remove the coating without damaging components? >>> >>>Thanks! >>> >>> ...Jim Thompson >> >>It decomposes at soldering temperatures, allowing local probing and >>repair with a soldering iron. It's clear, so you shouldn't have to >>remove it entirely, to do what you're trying to do. >> >>RL > >I can cut it with an X-acto knife, with a slight "rubbery" feel, so >it's hard to scrape right down to a trace. > > ...Jim Thompson
You'll have to burn through with a hot tinned iron tip and tin the intended contact with pre-fluxed solder. The tinning slakes off local residue. Once you start burning, the opacity of the film will degrade locally, so make as many observations and notes as is possible prior to the slash and burn. RL
On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 19:07:37 -0500, Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 15:50:29 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote: > >> Hacking a Park-Zone POS to make it work accurately, I find the PCB has a >> relatively thick clear coating. >> >> What's the best way to remove the coating without damaging components? >> > > Try acetone. IIRC it doesn't touch most electronics components, but it > does dissolve conformal coat. > > 'course, if that clear coating doesn't come off with it, it's no help.
Another possibility you could try is an (appropriate) abrasive tool. If all you need is to open up some solder blobs so you can unsolder parts, you might be able to use a Dremel tool and a "grinding wheel" made of that nylon-like material used in kitchen scrubbing pads. The trick, of course, would be to find a suitable abrasive that would remove the conformal coating but only polish the solder and copper. Come to think of it, you could just try a couple of different scrubbing pads to see if they do what you want. ... Oh. One old ex-VHS PC board I found lying around, two different plastic scrubbing pads, several minutes of effort: no observable difference. Can anyone suggest any improvements along these lines? An electric pencil eraser, perhaps? <grin!> Frank McKenney -- It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future. -- Yogi Berra -- Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887 Munged E-mail: frank uscore mckenney aatt mindspring ddoott com