Electronic design

Started by Phil Hobbs January 21, 2024
On Sunday, January 21, 2024 at 7:06:28 PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:16:01 -0500, Phil Hobbs > <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote: > > >JL wrote an interesting post in the depths of the "better > >microelectronics from coal" thread that I thought was worth pulling out > >on its own. > > > >On 2024-01-21 10:12, John Larkin wrote:> > > > >"...what IS electronic > > > design, and what's the best way to do it? <snip> > > > > > > Short answer, cobbling. When presented with a problem or an > > > opportunity to design electronics, the most efficient way to do that > > > is to grab a piece of paper and immediately sketch a circuit or an > > > assembly. Sometimes one can do that instantly, without thinking, or > > > sometimes one can ignore the issue for a few days and then the design > > > pops up. Sometimes brainstorming and whiteboarding help. Sometimes > > > fiddling with Spice helps. > > > > > > All that literature research and math analysis and simulation and > > > breadboarding and prototyping are just slow and expensive follow-up > > > chores for people who don't have 100% confidence in their instincts. > > > Analysis, sometimes prudent to do, but not design. > > > > > > Design is subconsious and instinctive. And it's free! And to some > > > extent, it can be taught, but seldom is. > > > > > > Most of us design things to sell, so do whatever works. We're selling > > > stuff, not publishing papers. > > > > > > >Hmm. I don't think that I agree in general, because you make it sound > >as though the process were just intuitively plucking one idea out of > >somewhere-or-other and cranking it out. > If an idea is new, where else would come from?
Within 5 years, all this manual fiddling, and so-called brainstorming, will be reduced to an AI-app resident on a $ phone. It may not be optimum, but it will work.
On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:47:54 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, January 21, 2024 at 7:06:28?PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote: >> On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:16:01 -0500, Phil Hobbs >> <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote: >> >> >JL wrote an interesting post in the depths of the "better >> >microelectronics from coal" thread that I thought was worth pulling out >> >on its own. >> > >> >On 2024-01-21 10:12, John Larkin wrote:> >> > >> >"...what IS electronic >> > > design, and what's the best way to do it? <snip> >> > > >> > > Short answer, cobbling. When presented with a problem or an >> > > opportunity to design electronics, the most efficient way to do that >> > > is to grab a piece of paper and immediately sketch a circuit or an >> > > assembly. Sometimes one can do that instantly, without thinking, or >> > > sometimes one can ignore the issue for a few days and then the design >> > > pops up. Sometimes brainstorming and whiteboarding help. Sometimes >> > > fiddling with Spice helps. >> > > >> > > All that literature research and math analysis and simulation and >> > > breadboarding and prototyping are just slow and expensive follow-up >> > > chores for people who don't have 100% confidence in their instincts. >> > > Analysis, sometimes prudent to do, but not design. >> > > >> > > Design is subconsious and instinctive. And it's free! And to some >> > > extent, it can be taught, but seldom is. >> > > >> > > Most of us design things to sell, so do whatever works. We're selling >> > > stuff, not publishing papers. >> > > >> > >> >Hmm. I don't think that I agree in general, because you make it sound >> >as though the process were just intuitively plucking one idea out of >> >somewhere-or-other and cranking it out. >> If an idea is new, where else would come from? > >Within 5 years, all this manual fiddling, and so-called brainstorming, will be reduced to an AI-app resident on a $ phone. It may not be optimum, but it will work. > >
I don't think so. Just a few words are not enough to specify and generate a specific, reliable design. There's not much I in AI. It's mostly a silly fad. But brainstorming isn't so-called. Done right, it really works.
On Tuesday, January 23, 2024 at 6:47:59&#8239;AM UTC+11, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Sunday, January 21, 2024 at 7:06:28&#8239;PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote: > > On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:16:01 -0500, Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote: > > >On 2024-01-21 10:12, John Larkin wrote:>
<snip>
> > >Hmm. I don't think that I agree in general, because you make it sound > > >as though the process were just intuitively plucking one idea out of > > >somewhere-or-other and cranking it out. > > > > If an idea is new, where else would come from?
New inventions tend to show up in several different places at much the same time. New ideas spread around, and turn into patentable innovations in different people's brains. I have had original ideas that stayed original for nearly twenty years, but most of them turned out to have shown up elsewhere earlier, even if they weren't put into practice all that well, if at all.
> Within 5 years, all this manual fiddling, and so-called brainstorming, will be reduced to an AI-app resident on a $ phone. It may not be optimum, but it will work.
Probably not. The trick is finding the right point of view, and software is written around a particular point of view. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
It helps if one has a rubber duckie (or maybe I'm just that bad at it!) -- |_|O|_| |_|_|O| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert |O|O|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1 E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860
On Tuesday, January 23, 2024 at 7:43:34&#8239;AM UTC+11, john larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:47:54 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote: > >On Sunday, January 21, 2024 at 7:06:28?PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote: > >> On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:16:01 -0500, Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote: > >> >On 2024-01-21 10:12, John Larkin wrote:
> I don't think so. Just a few words are not enough to specify and generate a specific, reliable design.
They are enough to specify a patentable idea. Reducing it to practice takes a lot more work, and documenting a complete system takes a lot of words (and pictures). Oddly enough, software can do a lot of the documentation.
For particular problems it can already find solutions that humans can't https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_folding AlphaFold is well ahead of any expert, and some theorem-proving programs operate without making mistakes to a degree that allows them to outperform human mathematicians on specific complex problems. It really isn't any kid of silly fad.
> But brainstorming isn't so-called. Done right, it really works.
Mainly by discouraging status-seeking creeps from insisting on concentrating on their own ideas. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
To be replaced by group concentration on no ideas at all. https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/blog/2022-the-role-of-machine-learning-in-analog-circuit-design https://www.synopsys.com/blogs/chip-design/ai-analog-design-migration-samsung-safe-forum-2023.html https://www.planetanalog.com/what-can-ai-do-for-analog-design/ https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/embedded/article/21272567/electronic-design-ai-lends-a-helping-hand-with-analog-and-custom-ic-design https://semiengineering.com/ai-for-circuit-design-quality-productivity-and-advanced-node-mapping/ http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/31523/ The list is endless. Humans are not as unique and special as they make themselves out to be. They'll all be replaced by AI before long.
> > -- > Bill Sloman, Sydney
On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 08:00:15 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs
<bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, January 22, 2024 at 6:29:33?PM UTC-5, Anthony William Sloman wrote: >> On Tuesday, January 23, 2024 at 7:43:34?AM UTC+11, john larkin wrote: >> > On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:47:54 -0800 (PST), Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote: >> > >On Sunday, January 21, 2024 at 7:06:28?PM UTC-5, John Larkin wrote: >> > >> On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 18:16:01 -0500, Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamM...@electrooptical.net> wrote: >> > >> >On 2024-01-21 10:12, John Larkin wrote: >> >> > I don't think so. Just a few words are not enough to specify and generate a specific, reliable design. >> They are enough to specify a patentable idea. Reducing it to practice takes a lot more work, and documenting a complete system takes a lot of words (and pictures). Oddly enough, software can do a lot of the documentation. >> > There's not much I in AI. It's mostly a silly fad. >> For particular problems it can already find solutions that humans can't >> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_folding >> >> AlphaFold is well ahead of any expert, and some theorem-proving programs operate without making mistakes to a degree that allows them to outperform human mathematicians on specific complex problems. It really isn't any kid of silly fad. >> > But brainstorming isn't so-called. Done right, it really works. >> Mainly by discouraging status-seeking creeps from insisting on concentrating on their own ideas. > >To be replaced by group concentration on no ideas at all.
The people have to be right for the process to be productive of ideas. Some people will poison a brainstorming session, and too much general sociability in the room will reinforce conventional thinking.
> >https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/blog/2022-the-role-of-machine-learning-in-analog-circuit-design
That's absurd. Sounds like they are trying to sell cad options to beginners.
> >https://www.synopsys.com/blogs/chip-design/ai-analog-design-migration-samsung-safe-forum-2023.html
Certainly a lot of computing helps design digital ICs, but I wouldn't call that intelligence. Smart people wrote very specialized software. I sometimes write software to solve circuit problems, but the software just does what I told it to do.
> >https://www.planetanalog.com/what-can-ai-do-for-analog-design/
I'd love to have a good component selection tool. The intelligence would be in inferring things from bad data sheets that have no standards. It would of course have to read and understand application schematics and mechanical drawings and find gotchas buried in footnotes and graphs. Find me a right-angle Gbit PoE compatible RJ45 jack that has multiple drop-in sources, two LEDs on the high side, lots of stock from non-Chinese sources, at a good price. They have to mount on my PCB and ground to a cutout in my panel. That's an easy one.
> >https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/embedded/article/21272567/electronic-design-ai-lends-a-helping-hand-with-analog-and-custom-ic-design > >https://semiengineering.com/ai-for-circuit-design-quality-productivity-and-advanced-node-mapping/ > >http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/31523/ > >The list is endless. Humans are not as unique and special as they make themselves out to be. They'll all be replaced by AI before long.
Has AI ever invented anything?

I check up on Flux.ai now and then. I wonder when they will run out of money.