Sound on my new radio is muffled.

Started by micky September 22, 2023
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:44:23 -0400, Retirednoguilt
<HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 9/24/2023 11:14 AM, micky wrote: >> In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 24 Sep 2023 06:40:44 -0400, Retirednoguilt >> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote: >> >>> >>>> I like the onse with a yoke, so when they fall out of my ears as they >>>> often do, I don't lose them. None of the high quality hearing aids >>>> like yours or the Otikon that Clare mentinoed come in yoke form, do >>>> they? >>> I don't know. Mine have never fallen out. >> >> That's great > >On the web, I see that a little attachment, Resound calls a "sports >lock", can be attached which is supposed to keep the hearing aid in >place during physical activity. They appear to be only about $13 (US) >per pair. Can't vouch for their comfort, ease of use, or effectiveness.
https://www.hearingaidaccessories.co.uk/shop/hooks-clips-retentions/hearing-aid-sports-locks/ Only &#4294967295;9.99 for a pack of 10! But I'd have to get some Pounds somewhere. "They rest in your concha bowl...." I'm not even sure I have a concha bowl. My mother had all that stuff, finger bowls, punch bowl, soup bowls. When she moved to an apartment, she got rid of a lot of stuff. I'll check if she left me one or two.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 25 Sep 2023 00:58:55 -0000 (UTC), David
LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote in >news:8durgihoqkktuof85dojqv66g7k2bs1mlt@4ax.com: > >> In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:10:51 -0400, Retirednoguilt >> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote: >> >>>On 9/22/2023 1:42 PM, micky wrote: >>>> I bought a $230 wifi radio that is impressive in many ways, but the >>>> problem I have is that the sound sounds muffled >>>> >>>> Maybe it's okay for music. I haven't listened to much music, but >>>> for talk it sounds muffled. Like literally they are talking through >>>> some sort of muffle. I don't have this problem with 5 other table >>>> radios. >>>> >>>> Is the problem that there is too much bass? If not that, what? >>>> >>>> It has equalizer settings so I changed from default and various >>>> kinds of music to "talk". I didnt' hear any change. >>>> >>>> So I went to custom, which has 6 frequency ranges, and over time, >>>> I've lowered the lowest 4 ranges to the minimum and raised the top >>>> one to the max, and the one in between almost to the max. This >>>> helped at first, but future changes were smaller and I didn't see >>>> addtional help. >>>> >>>> I can still understand if I make the sound one or two steps louder, >>>> but then it's louder than I want. >>>> >>>> Is there an audio ng that's not dormant that I can post too. >>>> alt.audio and alt.audio.pro had gone 3 years without posts. >>> >>>Time for a visit to an audiologist. If you don't use hearing aids, >>>you may need them. If you use them, the settings may need to be >>>tweaked. A few years ago, I thought something had gone wrong with my >>>stereo equipment, either the speakers or the receiver. I also noticed >>>I was having problems understanding dialog on the TV and in face to >>>face conversations. Turns out I have typical "mild-moderate" >>>age-related hearing loss. Hearing aids made a big difference in what >>>I hear and almost completely "repaired" my stereo system. If you will >>>be getting your first set, make sure they come with a 100% money-back >>>guarantee if not satisfied, for at least 45-60 days as it takes a >>>little while for your brain to adjust. Much longer than it takes to >>>adjust to a new eyeglasses prescription. >> >> What brand did you get and about how much were they? >> >> Do you have to have them "tuned" by the audiologist? Just once or >> every year or something? >> >> Do you sleep with them? >> > >I've used hearig aids for years. The central bands where human speach is >are not coming through. Definitely visit an audiologist to verify what >needs to be fixed. They will have a variety of brands. I've used aids >that were covered by insurance. Very litte out of pocket. You will >initially visit the audiologist every few weeks as you report what works >for you and what does not. They can tune them to correct most problems. >I have four channels, but moslty prefer my 'music' setting as I prefer to >hear background noise. I don't sleep with mine but some people can. My >audiologist checks out my aids every 6 months or so for the full >warranty. It is well worth it if your hearing changes or you find >situations where you cannot hear right and need adjustments. > >Good luck, > >David
Very valuable info here. Thanks. I talked to a guy at a meeting on Sunday who had Jabra. I know there are better than this, and I think I have good insurance, but what impressed me is that the "behind the ear" was much better than what I used to see pictures of in 1964. Surprise! Only 50 years later and they're better. The behind part was smaller, the tube into the ear was smaller, and probbably longer, and the thing in the ear was probably small enough that it wouldn't bother me and you can still hear the actual sound. Despite my joking with you, Retirednoguilt, I am serious. Your post was very encouraging. (I think I had in mind the ones that looked like little acorns and the whole things was stuffed in ones ear, like an iPod or earbud.) Th
On 9/26/2023 3:36 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:44:23 -0400, Retirednoguilt > <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote: > >> On 9/24/2023 11:14 AM, micky wrote: >>> In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 24 Sep 2023 06:40:44 -0400, Retirednoguilt >>> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote: >>> >>>> >>>>> I like the onse with a yoke, so when they fall out of my ears as they >>>>> often do, I don't lose them. None of the high quality hearing aids >>>>> like yours or the Otikon that Clare mentinoed come in yoke form, do >>>>> they? >>>> I don't know. Mine have never fallen out. >>> >>> That's great >> >> On the web, I see that a little attachment, Resound calls a "sports >> lock", can be attached which is supposed to keep the hearing aid in >> place during physical activity. They appear to be only about $13 (US) >> per pair. Can't vouch for their comfort, ease of use, or effectiveness. > > https://www.hearingaidaccessories.co.uk/shop/hooks-clips-retentions/hearing-aid-sports-locks/ > > Only &pound;9.99 for a pack of 10! But I'd have to get some Pounds somewhere. > > "They rest in your concha bowl...." I'm not even sure I have a concha > bowl. My mother had all that stuff, finger bowls, punch bowl, soup > bowls. When she moved to an apartment, she got rid of a lot of stuff. > I'll check if she left me one or two.
This is what I was referring to when I wrote: https://www.hearingaidaccessory.com/shop/hooks-clips-retentions/gn-resound-one-hearing-aid-sports-locks-for-surefit-3-receiver/ However, I don't know if or how well they would fit on other brands. By the way, if you have the part of the ear that extends out from your skull, that structure (the external ear) unless misshapen, has a concha as one of its parts. See: https://www.shutterstock.com/search/cymba-conchae
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:47:16 -0400, Retirednoguilt
<HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On 9/26/2023 3:36 AM, micky wrote: >> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:44:23 -0400, Retirednoguilt >> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote: >> >>> On 9/24/2023 11:14 AM, micky wrote: >>>> In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 24 Sep 2023 06:40:44 -0400, Retirednoguilt >>>> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>> >>>>>> I like the onse with a yoke, so when they fall out of my ears as they >>>>>> often do, I don't lose them. None of the high quality hearing aids >>>>>> like yours or the Otikon that Clare mentinoed come in yoke form, do >>>>>> they? >>>>> I don't know. Mine have never fallen out. >>>> >>>> That's great >>> >>> On the web, I see that a little attachment, Resound calls a "sports >>> lock", can be attached which is supposed to keep the hearing aid in >>> place during physical activity. They appear to be only about $13 (US) >>> per pair. Can't vouch for their comfort, ease of use, or effectiveness. >> >> https://www.hearingaidaccessories.co.uk/shop/hooks-clips-retentions/hearing-aid-sports-locks/ >> >> Only &#4294967295;9.99 for a pack of 10! But I'd have to get some Pounds somewhere. >> >> "They rest in your concha bowl...." I'm not even sure I have a concha >> bowl. My mother had all that stuff, finger bowls, punch bowl, soup >> bowls. When she moved to an apartment, she got rid of a lot of stuff. >> I'll check if she left me one or two. > >This is what I was referring to when I wrote: > >https://www.hearingaidaccessory.com/shop/hooks-clips-retentions/gn-resound-one-hearing-aid-sports-locks-for-surefit-3-receiver/ > >However, I don't know if or how well they would fit on other brands. By >the way, if you have the part of the ear that extends out from your >skull, that structure (the external ear) unless misshapen, has a concha >as one of its parts.
I'll let my mother know. BTW, I don't have the thing that Cindy's husband has, the Ventura? notch, so maybe I don't have this. See:
> >https://www.shutterstock.com/search/cymba-conchae
I take it back, I do have that. Thank you for your patience.
https://www.papandayancargo.com/
https://www.papandayancargo.com/ekspedisi-surabaya-makassar/
https://www.papandayancargo.com/ekspedisi-surabaya-banjarmasin/
https://www.papandayancargo.com/ekspedisi-surabaya-balikpapan/
https://www.papandayancargo.com/ekspedisi-jakarta-ke-balikpapan/
https://www.papandayancargo.com/ekspedisi-jakarta-makassar/
https://www.papandayancargo.com/ekspedisi-jakarta-banjarmasin/
https://www.papandayancargo.com/ekspedisi-jakarta-ke-samarinda/
On 9/26/23 2:38 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:47:16 -0400, Retirednoguilt > <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote: > >>On 9/26/2023 3:36 AM, micky wrote: >>> In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 25 Sep 2023 09:44:23 -0400, Retirednoguilt >>> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote: >>> >>>> On 9/24/2023 11:14 AM, micky wrote: >>>>> In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 24 Sep 2023 06:40:44 -0400, Retirednoguilt >>>>> <HapilyRetired@fakeaddress.com> wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>>> I like the onse with a yoke, so when they fall out of my ears as they >>>>>>> often do, I don't lose them. None of the high quality hearing aids >>>>>>> like yours or the Otikon that Clare mentinoed come in yoke form, do >>>>>>> they? >>>>>> I don't know. Mine have never fallen out. >>>>> >>>>> That's great >>>> >>>> On the web, I see that a little attachment, Resound calls a "sports >>>> lock", can be attached which is supposed to keep the hearing aid in >>>> place during physical activity. They appear to be only about $13 (US) >>>> per pair. Can't vouch for their comfort, ease of use, or effectiveness. >>> >>> https://www.hearingaidaccessories.co.uk/shop/hooks-clips-retentions/hearing-aid-sports-locks/ >>> >>> Only &#4294967295;9.99 for a pack of 10! But I'd have to get some Pounds somewhere. >>> >>> "They rest in your concha bowl...." I'm not even sure I have a concha >>> bowl. My mother had all that stuff, finger bowls, punch bowl, soup >>> bowls. When she moved to an apartment, she got rid of a lot of stuff. >>> I'll check if she left me one or two. >> >>This is what I was referring to when I wrote: >> >>https://www.hearingaidaccessory.com/shop/hooks-clips-retentions/gn-resound-one-hearing-aid-sports-locks-for-surefit-3-receiver/
Absolutely incomprehensible. I suppose it would have been too expensive for them to post a picture of the things ACTUALLY IN USE WITH A HUMAN EAR...
>>However, I don't know if or how well they would fit on other brands. By >>the way, if you have the part of the ear that extends out from your >>skull, that structure (the external ear) unless misshapen, has a concha >>as one of its parts. > > I'll let my mother know. BTW, I don't have the thing that Cindy's > husband has, the Ventura? notch, so maybe I don't have this. > > See: >> >>https://www.shutterstock.com/search/cymba-conchae > > I take it back, I do have that. Thank you for your patience. >
-- Cheers, Bev "A friend is someone who puts the needs of others above their own. Find one of those people and take advantage of him." --Rat
In sci.electronics.repair, on Mon, 25 Sep 2023 10:38:13 +0100, Martin
Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>On 22/09/2023 18:42, micky wrote: >> I bought a $230 wifi radio that is impressive in many ways, but the >> problem I have is that the sound sounds muffled >> >> Maybe it's okay for music. I haven't listened to much music, but for >> talk it sounds muffled. Like literally they are talking through some >> sort of muffle. I don't have this problem with 5 other table radios. >> >> Is the problem that there is too much bass? If not that, what? > >Possibly. Is there a reflex port on it somewhere?
No. I don't think so.
>Stuffing that with foam might improve things a bit. Somehow >extra/excessive bass seems to be a selling point for radios in that >sort of price range. It does nothing for intelligibility.
Interesting.
>> It has equalizer settings so I changed from default and various kinds of >> music to "talk". I didnt' hear any change. > >Depending on how badly their equalizer mangles the sound you might be on >a no win battle with this thing.
Well, here is the end of the first chapter: I'm still going to talk to the manufacturer about what equalizer settings work best, or any physical improvement like changing the speakers, or stuffing with foam, but two nights ago I bought a patch cable for the L & R Line OUts that plugs into the AUX on the rdio above it, and now the sound is pretty good, certainly good enough for me (who has a tin ear which is why it's surprising this radio wasn't good enough for me.) The cable merges L & R so even though I paid extra for stereo speakers, it's monaural. In addition, this means I can leave the internet radio on all night, with the sound turned down to zero, and use the Sleep function of the second radio, so it will turn off after an hour or two. On the internet radio, the Sleep function** disables almost all the controls and doesn't let me watch the name of the songs being played or see the graphic that comes with each station or each song. That's just entertaining enough to keep my attention but not enough to keep me awake. **It just displays the time, which is boring. The second radio, the Sangean WR-22, has very little tone control, but I pressed a button my mistake and found that 3 years ago when I got it, I had set the bass to -3 and the treble to +1. Simple, small changes, and I've been happy with that. Back to the internet radio using its own speakers, I've only played a few songs. The music is probably okay, but the lyrics are muffled, muddled, or muddy. So even they are better through the other radio. I know I'm not following the advice of people who said to send it back but I didn't find a better replacement, also with presets. Maybe there is one but I'm tired of looking. Thanks all. I couldn't have done it withou' you.
In sci.electronics.repair, on Sun, 24 Sep 2023 18:38:30 -0400, Paul
Babiak <noway@uwish.com> wrote:

>On 09/22/2023 01:42 PM, micky wrote: > >> Is there an audio ng that's not dormant that I can post too. alt.audio >> and alt.audio.pro had gone 3 years without posts. >> > >rec.audio.tech and rec.audio.pro still exist, but the traffic is pretty low.
At least there is some. :-) I may have a second thread coming and I'll include them.