Swapping transformer I/O

Started by Eddy Lee July 1, 2023
On Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 1:04:08 AM UTC+10, John Larkin wrote:
> [...]
They blow up violently?
> They have 6, optionally 7 windings and they call one set "primary", which is silly; they're just windings. Leakage inductance is so low it can be ignored.
It's never that low, and the way they measure leakage inductance isn't all that informative. What you actually need are measures of mutual inductance. "Leakage inductance measured at 200 kHz, 0.5 Vrms, 0 Adc between pins 2 and 5, with pins 3 and 4 connected,and with all secondary pins shorted" This includes the resistance of the secondary windings in the measurement, which isn't exactly clever, if cheap and easy to do. Using bad models gets you bad results. https://www.coilcraft.com/getmedia/636aef6f-8168-4ece-bb01-e16574e130d8/pl300.pdf -- Bill Sloman, Sydney