optical distance measurement

Started by Hul Tytus September 26, 2022
   Anyone familiar with the optical device for measuring distance that
is similar to a dual telescope. You look at an object and adjust the
device to bring the 2 images together. The distance to the object is
then indicarted. Some may just indicate the angle. The one's I've seen
were about 12 inches wide and 1 or 2 deep.
   Google only showed laser this & laser that; advertizers only apparantly.
Any ideas on where such devices might be sold or what a
suitable search term would be.

Hul

They are a bit out of fashion these days. Try Surplus Shack or similar. Keyword you want are optical range finder. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coincidence_rangefinder Once popular with photographers, golfers and the military. -- Regards, Martin Brown
On Monday, 26 September 2022 at 18:07:28 UTC+2, Hul Tytus wrote:
> Anyone familiar with the optical device for measuring distance that > is similar to a dual telescope. You look at an object and adjust the > device to bring the 2 images together. The distance to the object is > then indicarted. Some may just indicate the angle. The one's I've seen > were about 12 inches wide and 1 or 2 deep. > Google only showed laser this & laser that; advertizers only apparantly. > Any ideas on where such devices might be sold or what a > suitable search term would be. > > Hul
get Kinect camera for Xbox 360 connet to PC, laptop to learn how 3D optical multi-point distance measurement works Point cloud is projected and camera is moving or object is moving and closer and further object move at the same angular speed but closer objects move faster in linear speed, futher objects move slower and easy algorithm calculates distance of every point in projected point cloud array to build 3D image on-the-fly
Hul Tytus wrote:
> Anyone familiar with the optical device for measuring distance that > is similar to a dual telescope. You look at an object and adjust the > device to bring the 2 images together. The distance to the object is > then indicarted. Some may just indicate the angle. The one's I've seen > were about 12 inches wide and 1 or 2 deep. > Google only showed laser this & laser that; advertizers only apparantly. > Any ideas on where such devices might be sold or what a > suitable search term would be. > > Hul > > >
"Rangefinder". Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
Thanks Martin - I'll give Surplus Shack a look and try again with Google
and Yahoo.

Hul

Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
> On 26/09/2022 17:07, Hul Tytus wrote: > > Anyone familiar with the optical device for measuring distance that > > is similar to a dual telescope. You look at an object and adjust the > > device to bring the 2 images together. The distance to the object is > > then indicarted. Some may just indicate the angle. The one's I've seen > > were about 12 inches wide and 1 or 2 deep. > > Google only showed laser this & laser that; advertizers only apparantly. > > Any ideas on where such devices might be sold or what a > > suitable search term would be.
> They are a bit out of fashion these days. Try Surplus Shack or similar. > Keyword you want are optical range finder.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coincidence_rangefinder
> Once popular with photographers, golfers and the military.
> -- > Regards, > Martin Brown
Thanks Phil, I'll see how that works.

Hul

On 27/9/22 02:07, Hul Tytus wrote:
> Anyone familiar with the optical device for measuring distance that > is similar to a dual telescope. You look at an object and adjust the > device to bring the 2 images together. The distance to the object is > then indicarted. Some may just indicate the angle. The one's I've seen > were about 12 inches wide and 1 or 2 deep. > Google only showed laser this & laser that; advertizers only apparantly. > Any ideas on where such devices might be sold or what a > suitable search term would be.
I used to have a 1950's Leica with the "split image rangefinder". I think that's the search term you need to use. Clifford Heath.
> On 27/9/22 02:07, Hul Tytus wrote: > > Anyone familiar with the optical device for measuring distance that > > is similar to a dual telescope. You look at an object and adjust the > > device to bring the 2 images together. The distance to the object is > > then indicarted. Some may just indicate the angle. The one's I've seen > > were about 12 inches wide and 1 or 2 deep. > > Google only showed laser this & laser that; advertizers only apparantly. > > Any ideas on where such devices might be sold or what a > > suitable search term would be. > I used to have a 1950's Leica with the "split image rangefinder". > I think that's the search term you need to use. > > Clifford Heath.
A split-image spot, sometimes called a split image rangefinder or split-prism, is an optical focusing aid sometimes incorporated into a reflex camera's ground glass screen. When the image is out of focus, the two halves of the image appear "split" with an offset between them. When in focus, the halves line up to form a single image. Split prism - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia camera-wiki.org/wiki/Split_prism camera-wiki.org/wiki/Split_prism ==== But he is looking for Coincidence rangefinder - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coincidence_rangefinder OverviewDesignApplicationsUsageCoincidence vs stereoscopic rangefindersSee alsoExternal links A coincidence rangefinder or coincidence telemeter is a type of rangefinder that uses mechanical and optical principles to allow an operator to determine the distance to a visible object. There are subtypes split-image telemeter, inverted image, or double-image telemeter with different principles how two images in a single ocular are compared. Coincidence rangefinders were
On 2022-09-26, Hul Tytus <ht@panix.com> wrote:
> Anyone familiar with the optical device for measuring distance that > is similar to a dual telescope. You look at an object and adjust the > device to bring the 2 images together. The distance to the object is > then indicarted. Some may just indicate the angle. The one's I've seen > were about 12 inches wide and 1 or 2 deep. > Google only showed laser this & laser that; advertizers only apparantly. > Any ideas on where such devices might be sold or what a > suitable search term would be. > > Hul
coincidence rangefinder, I've never seen one that small. -- Jasen.
On 26/09/2022 21:50, Hul Tytus wrote:
> Thanks Martin - I'll give Surplus Shack a look and try again with Google > and Yahoo. > > Hul
There is the odd ex WWII one that comes up on eBay from time to time. I have no idea if they are in good working condition but some look plausible (if a little overpriced for what they are). eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125518890546 Photographers ones are smaller, less accurate and cheaper Kodak eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295231781933 There is a Yashica one on the same page that looks quite nice. Laser rangefinders are all the rage now.
> > Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote: >> On 26/09/2022 17:07, Hul Tytus wrote: >>> Anyone familiar with the optical device for measuring distance that >>> is similar to a dual telescope. You look at an object and adjust the >>> device to bring the 2 images together. The distance to the object is >>> then indicarted. Some may just indicate the angle. The one's I've seen >>> were about 12 inches wide and 1 or 2 deep. >>> Google only showed laser this & laser that; advertizers only apparantly. >>> Any ideas on where such devices might be sold or what a >>> suitable search term would be. > >> They are a bit out of fashion these days. Try Surplus Shack or similar. >> Keyword you want are optical range finder. > >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coincidence_rangefinder > >> Once popular with photographers, golfers and the military. > >> -- >> Regards, >> Martin Brown
-- Regards, Martin Brown