Fun with accelerators

Started by Unknown August 16, 2021
These guys get to play with stored energy in a different way than we
did back when one would have a class mate toss you a charged up
capacitor for shits and giggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlzIUKyA1eQ
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote in news:sfcrvt$1n00$1
@gioia.aioe.org:

> These guys get to play with stored energy in a different way than we > did back when one would have a class mate toss you a charged up > capacitor for shits and giggles. > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlzIUKyA1eQ >
I cannot believe that no one here shows any interest for this stuff. I especially like the remnant enrgy still sparking along inside for a while.
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote in news:sfcrvt$1n00$1 > @gioia.aioe.org: > >> These guys get to play with stored energy in a different way than we >> did back when one would have a class mate toss you a charged up >> capacitor for shits and giggles. >> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlzIUKyA1eQ >> > > I cannot believe that no one here shows any interest for this stuff. > > I especially like the remnant enrgy still sparking along inside for a > while. >
Hehe... I was interested. But then, I'm the guy actually doing it.... :)
On Thursday, 19 August 2021 at 18:04:43 UTC+1, Bert Hickman wrote:
> DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > > DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote in news:sfcrvt$1n00$1 > > @gioia.aioe.org: > > > >> These guys get to play with stored energy in a different way than we > >> did back when one would have a class mate toss you a charged up > >> capacitor for shits and giggles. > >> > >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlzIUKyA1eQ > >> > > > > I cannot believe that no one here shows any interest for this stuff. > > > > I especially like the remnant enrgy still sparking along inside for a > > while. > > > Hehe... I was interested. But then, I'm the guy actually doing it.... :)
I am. I have one of the artworks. I got my wife to buy it for me as a birthday present. John
Bert Hickman <bert@capturedlightning.com> wrote in

> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: >> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote in >> news:sfcrvt$1n00$1 @gioia.aioe.org: >> >>> These guys get to play with stored energy in a different way >>> than we did back when one would have a class mate toss you a >>> charged up capacitor for shits and giggles. >>> >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlzIUKyA1eQ >>> >> >> I cannot believe that no one here shows any interest for this >> stuff. >> >> I especially like the remnant enrgy still sparking along >> inside for a >> while. >> > > > Hehe... I was interested. But then, I'm the guy actually doing > it.... :) > >
Hehe indeed... you big turkey. :-P Here catch this capacitor... I was developing a 50kV supply for an X-Ray machine once and one of my co-engineers did a demo for us. We test un-potted in a Fluorinert bath. He took a long stick and placed a rounded nose "probe" on the end of it and a long HV wire to ground. As he approached the energized supply output buried in the bath, the bath started jiggling furiously on the surface. He still had to immerse it though to get the arc for the shutdown test, but that was the first time I saw an arc through fluorinert, because it has a really high dielectric strength. Then, he placed a sharpened nail on the end of the stick. It was amazing how vigorously the bath was aggitated as he approached it. And then I saw another first. A 50kV arc up and out of the bath and through the air to this very high attraction gradient "ground point". It was a couple inches through the bath and then a couple more inches through the air. Amazing. Shutdown circuit works.
John Walliker <jrwalliker@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Thursday, 19 August 2021 at 18:04:43 UTC+1, Bert Hickman wrote: >> DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: >> > DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote in news:sfcrvt$1n00$1 >> > @gioia.aioe.org: >> > >> >> These guys get to play with stored energy in a different way >> >> than we did back when one would have a class mate toss you a >> >> charged up capacitor for shits and giggles. >> >> >> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlzIUKyA1eQ >> >> >> > >> > I cannot believe that no one here shows any interest for this >> > stuff. >> > >> > I especially like the remnant enrgy still sparking along inside >> > for a while. >> > >> Hehe... I was interested. But then, I'm the guy actually doing >> it.... :) > > I am. I have one of the artworks. I got my wife to buy it for me > as a birthday present. > > John >
Well... Put that in your quarter shrinker and zap it. ;-)
On Thursday, August 19, 2021 at 12:07:05 PM UTC-7, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> I was developing a 50kV supply for an X-Ray machine once and one of > my co-engineers did a demo for us. We test un-potted in a Fluorinert > bath. He took a long stick and placed a rounded nose "probe" on the > end of it and a long HV wire to ground. As he approached the > energized supply output buried in the bath, the bath started jiggling > furiously on the surface....
Hmm. Makes me wonder if a circulating loop of Fluorinert or SF6 could be used to replace the belt in a Van de Graaff machine. Some quick Googling suggests that this is indeed a problem in the petroleum industry. In one study they pulled 6 microamps of ground current out of a gas pipe, and that was without intentional charge injection: https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/69C/jresv69Cn4p307_A1b.pdf Everyone who has played with a VdG will understand the desire to get rid of the belt. 6 microamps is well within the ballpark. -- john, KE5FX
On 8/16/2021 1:10 AM, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> These guys get to play with stored energy in a different way than we > did back when one would have a class mate toss you a charged up > capacitor for shits and giggles. > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlzIUKyA1eQ >
Oh we just wove a bit of tungsten wire in the bunsen burner screens in HS, sometimes. The Boston museum of science has an example of a similar event full-scale, "petrified lightning" where an arc has blasted along a beach, instantly glassifying the surrounding sand into a hollow tube. I guess it's called "fulgurite": <https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-display-describing-petrified-lightning-and-fulgurite-at-the-Boston-Museum-of-Science_fig1_301766309>
Bigger pic: <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Arun-Kumar-371/publication/301766309/figure/fig2/AS:357105841262594@1462152075996/A-display-of-fulgurite-at-the-Boston-Museum-of-Science-Boston-Photo-the-author-June.png>
On 19/08/2021 16:30, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote in news:sfcrvt$1n00$1 > @gioia.aioe.org: > >> These guys get to play with stored energy in a different way than we >> did back when one would have a class mate toss you a charged up >> capacitor for shits and giggles. >> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlzIUKyA1eQ >> > > I cannot believe that no one here shows any interest for this stuff. > > I especially like the remnant enrgy still sparking along inside for a > while. >
Thanks Decadent, that was interesting. piglet