printing with formfeeds

Started by John Larkin April 14, 2021
I have some old assembly listing files that are text, paged
by formfeed characters. I can't find a way to print nice
listings on a modern laser printer/copier. They ignore the
formfeeds or print a black box.

Any ideas?

Maybe I could write a program to replace the ff's with a
control sequence or something?

On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 11:52:04 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
> I have some old assembly listing files that are text, paged > by formfeed characters. I can't find a way to print nice > listings on a modern laser printer/copier. They ignore the > formfeeds or print a black box. > > Any ideas? > > Maybe I could write a program to replace the ff's with a > control sequence or something?
man pr The old fashion way.
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 11:57:50 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee
<edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 11:52:04 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: >> I have some old assembly listing files that are text, paged >> by formfeed characters. I can't find a way to print nice >> listings on a modern laser printer/copier. They ignore the >> formfeeds or print a black box. >> >> Any ideas? >> >> Maybe I could write a program to replace the ff's with a >> control sequence or something? > >man pr >The old fashion way.
???? Actually, Word will do it. It's not entirely obvious.
On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 1:26:06 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 11:57:50 -0700 (PDT), Ed Lee > <edward....@gmail.com> wrote: > > >On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 11:52:04 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: > >> I have some old assembly listing files that are text, paged > >> by formfeed characters. I can't find a way to print nice > >> listings on a modern laser printer/copier. They ignore the > >> formfeeds or print a black box. > >> > >> Any ideas? > >> > >> Maybe I could write a program to replace the ff's with a > >> control sequence or something? > > > >man pr > >The old fashion way. > ???? > > Actually, Word will do it. It's not entirely obvious.
pr file.asm > file.txt (then ftp to printer machine) or pr file.asm | lpr (for native linux) man pr (for manual). default is 55 lines per page, can be overridden.
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 11:51:53 -0700, John Larkin
<jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote:

>I have some old assembly listing files that are text, paged >by formfeed characters. I can't find a way to print nice >listings on a modern laser printer/copier. They ignore the >formfeeds or print a black box. > >Any ideas? > >Maybe I could write a program to replace the ff's with a >control sequence or something?
Page breaks are not really considered part of the responsibility of modern text editors. I don't suppose you'd be willing to paste it into a word processing program such as Word (or one of the free ones)? Of course you'll want to set up a monospaced font. You *could* use Courier, but why with nostalgic fonts like this one available? https://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Chainprinter-Regular -- Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:38:49 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
<speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 11:51:53 -0700, John Larkin ><jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote: > >>I have some old assembly listing files that are text, paged >>by formfeed characters. I can't find a way to print nice >>listings on a modern laser printer/copier. They ignore the >>formfeeds or print a black box. >> >>Any ideas? >> >>Maybe I could write a program to replace the ff's with a >>control sequence or something? > >Page breaks are not really considered part of the responsibility of >modern text editors. > >I don't suppose you'd be willing to paste it into a word processing >program such as Word (or one of the free ones)? > >Of course you'll want to set up a monospaced font. You *could* use >Courier, but why with nostalgic fonts like this one available? > >https://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Chainprinter-Regular
Word does it. It fooled me by refusing to let me drag-drop a text file onto the icon, or drag it into a doc, but it does eventually allow a text file to be opened, and printed properly. This is an old 68K assembly program that I need to update to replace an EOL digital capacitor chip. I want a paper listing to scribble on. Just getting all the tools to work was fun. That isn't a real chain font; the characters are spaced too well horizontally. Drum printers scattered them vertically. There must be typewriter and dot matrix fonts.
Ed Lee <edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote in news:304707f9-4854-4c75-
b2a1-f8504ddbfd06n@googlegroups.com:

> On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 11:52:04 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: >> I have some old assembly listing files that are text, paged >> by formfeed characters. I can't find a way to print nice >> listings on a modern laser printer/copier. They ignore the >> formfeeds or print a black box. >> >> Any ideas? >> >> Maybe I could write a program to replace the ff's with a >> control sequence or something? > > man pr > The old fashion way. >
Output to a text file and then edit the file and remove the offending control sequences.
On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 22:09:45 +0000 (UTC),
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:

>Ed Lee <edward.ming.lee@gmail.com> wrote in news:304707f9-4854-4c75- >b2a1-f8504ddbfd06n@googlegroups.com: > >> On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 11:52:04 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: >>> I have some old assembly listing files that are text, paged >>> by formfeed characters. I can't find a way to print nice >>> listings on a modern laser printer/copier. They ignore the >>> formfeeds or print a black box. >>> >>> Any ideas? >>> >>> Maybe I could write a program to replace the ff's with a >>> control sequence or something? >> >> man pr >> The old fashion way. >> > >Output to a text file and then edit the file and remove the offending >control sequences.
It's already a text file, an assembly listing. The "control sequence" is a single formfeed character per page. But I want that to shoot out a fresh page! There might actually be some escape sequence that the Cannon copier/printer accepts as a page feed, but I can't find it.
Try Unix (or linux). Maybe Microsoft doesn't like to print other company's
output?

Hul

On 4/14/2021 11:51 AM, John Larkin wrote:
> I have some old assembly listing files that are text, paged > by formfeed characters. I can't find a way to print nice > listings on a modern laser printer/copier. They ignore the > formfeeds or print a black box. > > Any ideas? > > Maybe I could write a program to replace the ff's with a > control sequence or something?
Wordpad (not Notepad) should do the trick. You'll likely want to pick a fixed-width font to ensure the columns (opcode, args, comments) line up pretty.