Keithley 610C repair

Started by RBlack December 1, 2015
Well, when you get round to selling your building, you can probably afford to store a couple more warts, even. ;)

Cheers

Phil
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 08:51:12 -0500, Phil Hobbs

>On 01/09/2016 08:45 PM, John Larkin wrote: ><snip> >> I don't think the mosfets are the problem on the lowest ranges. The >> problem seems to be random charge transfers and maybe leakages. >> >> At heart, the mosfets are the front-end of a voltmeter. On >> voltage-input ranges, even with the multiplier cranked all the way up, >> it's stable. So the fets aren't drifting. They might be leaking, but I >> doubt that. A little pressure on the side of the box, bending the >> metal a tiny bit, makes the 10fA range go wild. Mosfets aren't doing >> that. > >I think it's mostly mechanical instability combined with fairly large >internal E fields. The power supplies are +- 55V or something, and all >the resistors are hanging in midair. If you've got 100V gradients >running around, with a node capacitance of 5 pF and a typical separation >of an inch, you can get 10-fA currents from a velocity of > > ~ 25 mm * 10 fA / (100V*5pF) = 0.5 microns per second. > >That's an average, of course, so in real life the motions would have to >be much bigger. Still, it makes sense that flexing the front panel >(where the switch is mounted) by a millimetre or so might make it go nuts. > >A bit of strategically placed foil inside would probably help a lot. > > >> My home-made pA meter was more stable, maybe because there wasn't so >> much stuff inside to make e-fields. > >The combination of a 100-fA FS homebrew box and a 610C is a pretty good >solution. I like your pluggable thing, which is nice and flexible. For >current measurements, making the loops and nodes smaller would make it >faster and more stable, so I'd lean towards a fixed 1T resistor and a >metal box meself. > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
I built that before I got the Keithley, and still use it now and then. I have an aluminum chassis box that drops over the top to shield Z1 and Z2 when needed. I was looking for a low-leakage diode. The PAD1 is sold as such, but it's actually a jfet with s and d shorted. It has lots of series r, lots of shunt c, guarantees 1 pA, and it's expensive. Turns out that small transistors can be excellent low-leakage diodes. The c-b junction of BFT25 is amazing: sub-pF capacitance, good forward conduction, leakage hard to measure, 10 fA maybe. One could charge a film capacitor from diode leakage, for hours or days, and probably resolve attoamps. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 04:30:08 -0800 (PST), Phil Hobbs
<pcdhobbs@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, the full scale range is switchable from 10 femtoamps to 300 >>> milliamps, so the correct answer is "yes". > >>The discussion was to find ways to improve the drift on the 10 fA range. > >>Would your customers let you get away with such an answer? > >I don't recall ever having been asked such a stupid and hostile question by a customer. > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
Especially one that expects you to work for free. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 5:51:19 AM UTC-8, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 01/09/2016 08:45 PM, John Larkin wrote: > <snip> > > I don't think the mosfets are the problem on the lowest ranges.
> I think it's mostly mechanical instability combined with fairly large > internal E fields.... > A bit of strategically placed foil inside would probably help a lot.
If the box in question has been around the block a few times, it might have a shield missing; I've seen factory-fresh meters that were too sensitive to nearby items, and on calling the factory, was advised to reseat the shield. "What, there's supposed to be a shield there?" I replied.
>> I think it's mostly mechanical instability combined with fairly large >> internal E fields.... >> A bit of strategically placed foil inside would probably help a lot.
>If the box in question has been around the block a few times, it might >have a shield missing; I've seen factory-fresh meters that >were too sensitive to nearby items, and on calling the factory,
was advised to reseat the shield. &#4294967295;
>"What, there's supposed to be a shield there?" &#4294967295;I replied.
;) Cheers Phil Hobbs