microphone impedance vs. speaker impedance

Started by Bruno February 10, 2015
Hi,

If I measure the DC resistance of a hi-fi speaker with an impedance of 8
ohms, it comes out at approx. 8 ohms.
But when I measure the DC resistance of a dynamic microphone with a
stated impedance of 50k ohms, it comes out as only 1500 ohms. Another
dynamic mic with a stated impedance of 400 ohms reads only 1.1 ohms DC
resistance.
Why do mics DC resistance seem to measure differently from speakers?
Bruno wrote:

> > If I measure the DC resistance of a hi-fi speaker with an impedance of 8 > ohms, it comes out at approx. 8 ohms. > > But when I measure the DC resistance of a dynamic microphone with a > stated impedance of 50k ohms, it comes out as only 1500 ohms.
** There is a transformer inside, all 50kohms mics are low Z capsules with a transformer.
> Another > dynamic mic with a stated impedance of 400 ohms reads only 1.1 ohms DC > resistance.
** Really ? You just making stuff up ? Or was there a on/off switch stuck in the off position. BTW: Quoting mysterious ( with no details ) examples only you know about is fucking stupid. .... Phil
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 02:41:18 -0800, Phil Allison wrote:

> Bruno wrote: > > >> If I measure the DC resistance of a hi-fi speaker with an impedance of >> 8 ohms, it comes out at approx. 8 ohms. >> >> But when I measure the DC resistance of a dynamic microphone with a >> stated impedance of 50k ohms, it comes out as only 1500 ohms. > > > ** There is a transformer inside, all 50kohms mics are low Z capsules > with a transformer. > >> Another dynamic mic with a stated impedance of 400 ohms reads only 1.1 >> ohms DC resistance. > > ** Really ? > > You just making stuff up ? > > Or was there a on/off switch stuck in the off position. > > BTW: > > Quoting mysterious ( with no details ) examples only you know about is > fucking stupid. > > > .... Phil
I'm most awfully sorry. The hi-z mic I referred to is the factory supplied one from a Yaesu shortwave transciever and the low-z one is a Uher (once used typically by news organisations' reporters with their Uher portable tape recorders)
Bruno wrote:

> >> If I measure the DC resistance of a hi-fi speaker with an impedance of > >> 8 ohms, it comes out at approx. 8 ohms. > >> > >> But when I measure the DC resistance of a dynamic microphone with a > >> stated impedance of 50k ohms, it comes out as only 1500 ohms. > > > > > > ** There is a transformer inside, all 50kohms mics are low Z capsules > > with a transformer. > > > >> Another dynamic mic with a stated impedance of 400 ohms reads only 1.1 > >> ohms DC resistance. > > > > ** Really ? > > > > You just making stuff up ? > > > > Or was there a on/off switch stuck in the off position. > > > > BTW: > > > > Quoting mysterious ( with no details ) examples only you know about is > > fucking stupid.
> > I'm most awfully sorry.
** No you are not.
> The hi-z mic I referred to is the factory > supplied one from a Yaesu shortwave transceiver
** That really nails it good. Wot a macaroon....
> and the low-z one is a > Uher (once used typically by news organisations' reporters with their Uher > portable tape recorders)
** So a current model - right ? FFS - get a life. ... Phil
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 03:37:02 -0800, Phil Allison wrote:

> Bruno wrote:
>> I'm most awfully sorry. > > ** No you are not.
True. I was being sarcastic.
>> The hi-z mic I referred to is the factory supplied one from a Yaesu >> shortwave transceiver > > ** That really nails it good. > > Wot a macaroon.... > > >> and the low-z one is a Uher (once used typically by news organisations' >> reporters with their Uher portable tape recorders) > > > ** So a current model - right ? > > FFS - get a life.
All the information has been provided for anyone who knows about this subject to formulate an answer to the question. I'll have to add a sig line to my posts, it seems: "Persons suffering from a disorder on the autistic spectrum need not respond."
On 2/10/2015 8:38 AM, Bruno wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 03:37:02 -0800, Phil Allison wrote: > >> Bruno wrote: > >>> I'm most awfully sorry. >> >> ** No you are not. > > True. I was being sarcastic. > >>> The hi-z mic I referred to is the factory supplied one from a Yaesu >>> shortwave transceiver >> >> ** That really nails it good. >> >> Wot a macaroon.... >> >> >>> and the low-z one is a Uher (once used typically by news organisations' >>> reporters with their Uher portable tape recorders) >> >> >> ** So a current model - right ? >> >> FFS - get a life. > > All the information has been provided for anyone who knows about this > subject to formulate an answer to the question. > I'll have to add a sig line to my posts, it seems: "Persons suffering > from a disorder on the autistic spectrum need not respond." >
Haven't notice you here before, but want say, you sized up Phil very quickly. Don't write him off completely, he does provide good answers. Mikek
 Bruno trolled:

> >> I'm most awfully sorry. > > > > ** No you are not. > > True. I was being sarcastic. > > >> The hi-z mic I referred to is the factory supplied one from a Yaesu > >> shortwave transceiver > > > > ** That really nails it good. > > > > Wot a macaroon.... > > > > > >> and the low-z one is a Uher (once used typically by news organisations' > >> reporters with their Uher portable tape recorders) > > > > > > ** So a current model - right ? > > > > FFS - get a life. > > All the information has been provided for anyone who knows about this > subject to formulate an answer to the question.
** Blatant lie. You are expecting information about the internal details specific model mics and cannot identify them.
> I'll have to add a sig line to my posts,
** Yeah, add: " The Trolling fool" . FFS - YOU have the two oddball mics !!! OPEN the damn things a take a look. Bet you will find a transformer in the first and an inductor in the other. ... Phil
On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 15:40:23 -0800, Phil Allison wrote:

> Bruno trolled: > > >> >> I'm most awfully sorry. >> > >> > ** No you are not. >> >> True. I was being sarcastic. >> >> >> The hi-z mic I referred to is the factory supplied one from a Yaesu >> >> shortwave transceiver >> > >> > ** That really nails it good. >> > >> > Wot a macaroon.... >> > >> > >> >> and the low-z one is a Uher (once used typically by news >> >> organisations' >> >> reporters with their Uher portable tape recorders) >> > >> > >> > ** So a current model - right ? >> > >> > FFS - get a life. >> >> All the information has been provided for anyone who knows about this >> subject to formulate an answer to the question. > > ** Blatant lie. > > You are expecting information about the internal details specific model > mics and cannot identify them. > >> I'll have to add a sig line to my posts, > > ** Yeah, add: " The Trolling fool" . > > FFS - YOU have the two oddball mics !!! > > OPEN the damn things a take a look. > > Bet you will find a transformer in the first and an inductor in the > other. > > > > > ... Phil
Looking through your posting history here and elsewhere indicates a strong likelihood of antisocial personality disorder coupled with Asperger's syndrome co-morbidity. To put it simply in layman's language, you're an asshole - and likely to remain one throughout your life. HTH.
 Bruno the troll  wrote:

> Bruno trolled:
> > Looking through your posting history here and elsewhere indicates a > strong
** A strong dislike of BULLSHITTING idiots like you !!. Wanna see a grossly autistic person ?? Go look in the fucking mirror. .... Phil

Sometimes. If it's about audio, and he's not having one of his little moments. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com