Electronics-Related.com
Forums

Completely OT: Your Favorite 'Relatively Unknown' Music

Started by stephaneb 6 years ago13 replieslatest reply 6 years ago582 views

So far, we've been very good at staying on-topic in the *Related sites forums.  Today, let me break the trend and start a completely off-topic (#OT) thread that I think could end up being very fun to read.  Basically, if you are a music lover and have a few minutes to spare, it would be great if you could share here with us some of your favorite songs, music pieces, albums, bands, artists, etc, that we might not know already.  In other words, there has to be music that you absolutely love and that has never made it to the mainstream (internationally) and that you think deserve to be better known.    

As a Canadian, let me start by sharing some great music originating from my country.

If a movie would be made about my university years, the soundtrack would include many songs from the very Canadian band called 'The Tragically Hip'.  Gord Downie, the lead singer for this band, died of brain cancer in October of last year.  To start understanding how big in Canada The Tragically Hip are, you can watch our Prime Minister comment on Gord's death here.  You need to appreciate rock music I guess and it might take a few listens before you start appreciating their music but I believe it is well worth the effort.  Let me share a few of my favorites:

Let me continue with another band that I believe deserve to be better known.  This one is from the U.S. and the name of the band is 'Radical Face'.  My favorite song by them is called 'Ghost Towns' (make sure to listen until the 2:52 mark where one of my favorite conclusion to a song starts).

Next is the song 'To Build a Home' by Cinematic Orchestra with Patrick Watson as the singer.  One of the most beautiful songs that I know.

Finally, you might be one of the 30 millions of people who have seen this video of John Butler playing his masterpiece guitar song titled 'Ocean' If you are not, today is your lucky day!  The first time I saw the video, I was completely blown away, what an amazing artist.  I still get goosebumps when I watch it despite having watched it tens of times.  

I could go on and on but will stop here for now and leave room for others.  Your post can be as short as one song title or longer if you feel like it.  Happy sharing and happy listening!

[ - ]
Reply by SamShearmanApril 6, 2018

Keeping with the #OT music theme, I can't stop listening to the Fleet Foxes:

[ - ]
Reply by pomartelApril 6, 2018

I'm not heavily into music, but I have a few singers and songs that I enjoy.

Sethares' "Table 4.1: Properties of the Fourier Transform"  http://sethares.engr.wisc.edu/mp3s/fourier.html

Julia Ecklar's "Eternal Flame" https://blog.adafruit.com/2014/09/02/lisp-song-ete...

and recently Acapella Science's songs on youtube 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTev4RNBiu6lqtx8z...

[ - ]
Reply by jimelectrApril 6, 2018

Great, all of them!  High levels of musicianship, spot-on STEM lyrics, and a sense of humor!  How can you go wrong?  Lots of fun!  Thanks for posting these!

[ - ]
Reply by SolderdotApril 6, 2018

Try

[ - ]
Reply by rtomkinsApril 6, 2018

Most of AccuRadio World Music Listener's Top 100 at very low volume is good background while programming.

There are some interesting modern takes on traditional music that provide an interesting soundscape.

Some of the Japanese music is interestingly re-imagined as is the music from the African continent.

[ - ]
Reply by AaronMichaelApril 6, 2018

Hello,

Thanks for posting. Music is my main love when I'm not writing code or designing circuits. I play and direct an ensemble that plays eastern music of all kinds. Here's one of my favorite songs and favorite singers. A bit different from what most people listen to in the west.

Aman Doktor sung by Yaprak Sayar

Translation:

Oh, doctor, doctor, dear
Have you a cure for my pain
My spouse died and I am desperate
Oh Doctor, can you cure me
I fear there is no cure for this pain

A sad but beautiful song.

I do enjoy happy songs as well,  Aaron

[ - ]
Reply by david_daysApril 6, 2018

Most of my music is mainstream (old and new), but there are a couple of relatively obscure ones I listen to all the time.

Jonathon Coulton writes songs and releases them under Creative Commons, so lots of fans make videos.

...and, in case you think he just does funny songs, here's a real heart string-tugger:

[ - ]
Reply by CustomSargeApril 6, 2018

Being a geezer, mine is from ~1975: Sparticus by Triumvirat

[ - ]
Reply by stephanebApril 6, 2018

I took the liberty to edit your post and add a link to the video.

This song reminds me of Supper's Ready by Genesis

[ - ]
Reply by CustomSargeApril 6, 2018

Ahh, a person of my era: Genesis, Supertramp and Pink Floyd got me through Engineering school at MSU. Thanks for adding the link, I'm only now getting into webpage development.

[ - ]

To some degree I agree with you, StephaneB, but even more it sounds like Emerson, Lake, and Palmer (RIP, Greg Lake).  I'd swear that was Keith Emerson playing the organs and synthesizers!  Great stuff by Triumvirat (never heard of them before; thanks for introducing me to them, CustomSarge!) and Genesis.  The latter pre-Phil Collins pop band era, of course.  Genesis was great before Peter Gabriel was out, and IMHO, neither was any good afterward.

[ - ]

Being a heavy guitar fan, I liked the Tragically Hip's "Blow at High Dough" a lot!  Most of the rest of it I can take or leave.

Wow is all I can say after hearing John Butler!  Or maybe not after all; I was amazed at his rhythm in slapping that guitar!  It's so right-on that I thought he had overdubbed it!  Wow!

[ - ]
Reply by abb2104April 6, 2018

Midwestern America's favorite side dish: