OT: 3D printing

Started by Don Y March 20, 2023
On Tuesday, 21 March 2023 at 15:15:10 UTC, olaf wrote:
> Don Y <blocked...@foo.invalid> wrote: > > >I wouldn't expect the same performance as an injected molded > >part. But, if it is common enough to be a noteworthy > >problem, then I'm probably better off pursuing a different > >technology. > It is possible to print with carbon fiber loaded nylon or PETG if > money is not your first problem. > > Olaf
Yes, but carbon loaded filament is not a win on strength.
On 3/21/2023 2:10 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> [...]
Yeah, that's always the problem; the manufacturability of a particular design requires a commitment to *how* you plan on manufacturing the item. So, prototyping on a printer may get you something to hold and play with -- but, it doesn't get you any closer to having a manufacturable design. It's almost better to make that decision up front and commit the resources to "doing it right". I'm having a hard time leveraging printing technology in any meaningful way, other than as a glorified dog-and-pony. Like building an architectural model of a structure out of foam-core which does nothing to illustrate how the real structure would/could be built.
On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 9:23:31&#8239;AM UTC+11, Tabby wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21 March 2023 at 15:15:10 UTC, olaf wrote: > > Don Y <blocked...@foo.invalid> wrote: > > > > >I wouldn't expect the same performance as an injected molded > > >part. But, if it is common enough to be a noteworthy > > >problem, then I'm probably better off pursuing a different > > >technology. > > It is possible to print with carbon fiber loaded nylon or PETG if > > money is not your first problem. > > Yes, but carbon loaded filament is not a win on strength.
Carbon fibre is remarkably strong - better than steel for the same weight. It's not clear that you can get enough carbon fibre into a 3-D printed part to beat something 3-D printed by laser-fusing steel powder. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> writes:
> So, prototyping on a printer may get you something to hold and play > with . . .
and see if it fits properly and functions as expected. Most of my "art" bucket has parts that weren't quite the right shape, size, or were missing a feature that wasn't obviously needed until you saw it in place. 3D printed parts are also typically strong enough to test with, although you have to be careful to stay within its strength envelope. My electric motorcycle project has lots of 3D printed parts, typically non-structural brackets and mount points for electronics et al.
> I'm having a hard time leveraging printing technology in any > meaningful way,
Yeah, it's not for everyone. There *are* projects where having a prototype overnight, even if you just try it in place then throw it away, is definitely worth it. Even if it's just to "hold in your hand" - well, if it's a handle, that's the only way to test it :-) At the other end of the spectrum, with SLM metal printing, 3D printing *is* how you manufacture the parts.
On 3/22/2023 10:20 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
> Don Y <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> writes: >> So, prototyping on a printer may get you something to hold and play >> with . . . > > and see if it fits properly and functions as expected.
But, if the shape of the part had to change to be 3D printed -- or, WILL have to change to be cast, molded, etc. -- then all of that is suspect. I recall building prototypes for hand tools -- only to find something very different when the modelshop got done rendering it into a manufacturable form. Similarly, I can recall trying to approximate the behavior of semi-custom and full custom parts using COTS components... yeah, you can get the functionality approximately correct but AC characteristics, impedances, etc. weren't even close. So, anything that interfaced with it had to be assumed as correct -- until First Silicon was available.
> Most of my "art" > bucket has parts that weren't quite the right shape, size, or were > missing a feature that wasn't obviously needed until you saw it in > place. > > 3D printed parts are also typically strong enough to test with, although > you have to be careful to stay within its strength envelope. > > My electric motorcycle project has lots of 3D printed parts, typically > non-structural brackets and mount points for electronics et al.
Those would all fall into the "I need something of this size/shape" category -- they don't have to do much "work". You likely wouldn't print a *wheel*. Or, fork.
On Thursday, 23 March 2023 at 03:11:31 UTC, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 9:23:31&#8239;AM UTC+11, Tabby wrote: > > On Tuesday, 21 March 2023 at 15:15:10 UTC, olaf wrote: > > > Don Y <blocked...@foo.invalid> wrote: > > > > > > >I wouldn't expect the same performance as an injected molded > > > >part. But, if it is common enough to be a noteworthy > > > >problem, then I'm probably better off pursuing a different > > > >technology. > > > It is possible to print with carbon fiber loaded nylon or PETG if > > > money is not your first problem. > > > > Yes, but carbon loaded filament is not a win on strength.
> Carbon fibre is remarkably strong - better than steel for the same weight. It's not clear that you can get enough carbon fibre into a 3-D printed part to beat something 3-D printed by laser-fusing steel powder.
Commercially available Carbon fibre loaded filament is a much different animal to fibre mat impregnated with resin. Testing shows plain non-fibre plastic filament to be stronger.
On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 11:41:44&#8239;AM UTC+11, Tabby wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 March 2023 at 03:11:31 UTC, Anthony William Sloman wrote: > > On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 9:23:31&#8239;AM UTC+11, Tabby wrote: > > > On Tuesday, 21 March 2023 at 15:15:10 UTC, olaf wrote: > > > > Don Y <blocked...@foo.invalid> wrote: > > > > > > > > >I wouldn't expect the same performance as an injected molded > > > > >part. But, if it is common enough to be a noteworthy > > > > >problem, then I'm probably better off pursuing a different > > > > >technology. > > > > It is possible to print with carbon fiber loaded nylon or PETG if > > > > money is not your first problem. > > > > > > Yes, but carbon loaded filament is not a win on strength. > > > Carbon fibre is remarkably strong - better than steel for the same weight. It's not clear that you can get enough carbon fibre into a 3-D printed part to beat something 3-D printed by laser-fusing steel powder. > > Commercially available Carbon fibre loaded filament is a much different animal to fibre mat impregnated with resin. Testing shows plain non-fibre plastic filament to be stronger.
Incompetents can always misuse materials. Trust Tabby to fixate on what some incompetent idiot - probably him - has got wrong. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
Yet another absurd, worthless post by the Bozo. Here is some useful info on the subject: https://www.3d-pros.com/optimizing-strength-of-3d-printed-parts https://3dprinterly.com/are-3d-printed-parts-strong/ https://all3dp.com/2/3d-printing-strength-strongest-infill/
On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 12:28:51&#8239;PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote:
> On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 8:01:50&#8239;AM UTC-7, Anthony William Sloman wrote: > > On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 11:41:44&#8239;AM UTC+11, Tabby wrote: > > > On Thursday, 23 March 2023 at 03:11:31 UTC, Anthony William Sloman wrote: > > > > On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 9:23:31&#8239;AM UTC+11, Tabby wrote: > > > > > On Tuesday, 21 March 2023 at 15:15:10 UTC, olaf wrote: > > > > > > Don Y <blocked...@foo.invalid> wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > >I wouldn't expect the same performance as an injected molded > > > > > > >part. But, if it is common enough to be a noteworthy > > > > > > >problem, then I'm probably better off pursuing a different > > > > > > >technology. > > > > > > It is possible to print with carbon fiber loaded nylon or PETG if > > > > > > money is not your first problem. > > > > > > > > > > Yes, but carbon loaded filament is not a win on strength. > > > > > > > Carbon fibre is remarkably strong - better than steel for the same weight. It's not clear that you can get enough carbon fibre into a 3-D printed part to beat something 3-D printed by laser-fusing steel powder. > > > > > > Commercially available Carbon fibre loaded filament is a much different animal to fibre mat impregnated with resin. Testing shows plain non-fibre plastic filament to be stronger. > > > > Incompetents can always misuse materials. Trust Tabby to fixate on what some incompetent idiot - probably him - has got wrong. > > Yet another absurd, worthless post by Bill.
By which Sewage Sweeper means that that he can't understand what is being talked about.
> Here is some useful info on the subject: > https://www.3d-pros.com/optimizing-strength-of-3d-printed-parts > https://3dprinterly.com/are-3d-printed-parts-strong/ > https://all3dp.com/2/3d-printing-strength-strongest-infill/
None of them mention printing with carbon-fibre reinforced plastics, which was the subject being discussed. Sewage Sweeper is too dim to have noticed this. -- Bill Sloman, Sydeny
On Friday, 24 March 2023 at 15:01:50 UTC, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 11:41:44&#8239;AM UTC+11, Tabby wrote: > > On Thursday, 23 March 2023 at 03:11:31 UTC, Anthony William Sloman wrote: > > > On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 9:23:31&#8239;AM UTC+11, Tabby wrote: > > > > On Tuesday, 21 March 2023 at 15:15:10 UTC, olaf wrote: > > > > > Don Y <blocked...@foo.invalid> wrote: > > > > > > > > > > >I wouldn't expect the same performance as an injected molded > > > > > >part. But, if it is common enough to be a noteworthy > > > > > >problem, then I'm probably better off pursuing a different > > > > > >technology. > > > > > It is possible to print with carbon fiber loaded nylon or PETG if > > > > > money is not your first problem. > > > > > > > > Yes, but carbon loaded filament is not a win on strength. > > > > > Carbon fibre is remarkably strong - better than steel for the same weight. It's not clear that you can get enough carbon fibre into a 3-D printed part to beat something 3-D printed by laser-fusing steel powder. > > > > Commercially available Carbon fibre loaded filament is a much different animal to fibre mat impregnated with resin. Testing shows plain non-fibre plastic filament to be stronger. > Incompetents can always misuse materials. Trust Tabby to fixate on what some incompetent idiot - probably him - has got wrong.
another bs based ego fuelled comment from slow man