Forums

Factor PFC Into Your Power-Supply Design

Started by Jan Panteltje October 16, 2022
Factor PFC Into Your Power-Supply Design
pdf for download, some new chips:ADP1047 and ADP1048:
 https://www.electronicdesign.com/power-management/power-supply/whitepaper/21233724/electronic-design-factor-pfc-into-your-powersupply-design-pdf-download
On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 8:53:57 PM UTC+11, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> Factor PFC Into Your Power-Supply Design > pdf for download, some new chips:ADP1047 and ADP1048: > https://www.electronicdesign.com/power-management/power-supply/whitepaper/21233724/electronic-design-factor-pfc-into-your-powersupply-design-pdf-download
So Jan has only just found out about it. It's been a requirement for everything except the tiniest power supplies for decades now. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
Anthony William Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in

> On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 8:53:57 PM UTC+11, Jan Panteltje > wrote: >> Factor PFC Into Your Power-Supply Design >> pdf for download, some new chips:ADP1047 and ADP1048: >> https://www.electronicdesign.com/power-management/power-supply/whi >> tepaper/21233724/electronic-design-factor-pfc-into-your-powersuppl >> y-design-pdf-download > > So Jan has only just found out about it. It's been a requirement > for everything except the tiniest power supplies for decades now. >
We had AC driven supplies we incorporated PFC into. One was a low voltage military PC Chassis supply that ran on AC line voltage between 85 and 265 VAC 60Hz and autoswitched. It needed to be bale to run at the end of a distribution drop in Japan (100VAC), which can be as low as 85 Volts, but typically never drops below 90 V, but that was our low line spec. OR it could run off 48VDC OR battery, whichever was available, it would switch to. It consumed enough power that we made it a PFC design on the AC driven driven front end. Our HVDC supplies, however, were mostly of such low wattage and were almost all low voltage DC powered, so no PFC was needed. We did have a couple HVDC supplies that were big enough and were AC driven on the front end, that we made them as corrected designs. One ended up taking up about a third of one of those short racks that were like 20U tall. But most of our stuff would fit into a pack of cigarettes and were DC driven.
On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 09:50:23 GMT, Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Factor PFC Into Your Power-Supply Design >pdf for download, some new chips:ADP1047 and ADP1048: > https://www.electronicdesign.com/power-management/power-supply/whitepaper/21233724/electronic-design-factor-pfc-into-your-powersupply-design-pdf-download
It's impossible to make your own PFC power supplies at the cost of buying them. We buy a kilowatt Mean Well 48 volt supply for $156. It has emi filters, a nice enclosure, an internal fan, and all sorts of compliance stickers.
On a sunny day (Sun, 16 Oct 2022 08:54:49 -0700) it happened John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in
<6t9okhhrlggajurb12ev2ubi5m9j5fil77@4ax.com>:

>On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 09:50:23 GMT, Jan Panteltje ><pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote: > >>Factor PFC Into Your Power-Supply Design >>pdf for download, some new chips:ADP1047 and ADP1048: >> >> https://www.electronicdesign.com/power-management/power-supply/whitepaper/21233724/electronic-design-factor-pfc-into-your-powersupply-design-pdf-download > >It's impossible to make your own PFC power supplies at the cost of >buying them. > >We buy a kilowatt Mean Well 48 volt supply for $156. It has emi >filters, a nice enclosure, an internal fan, and all sorts of >compliance stickers.
Sure I have a whole bunch of Meanwell 7 V 20 A put those in series if In eed more volts: http://panteltje.com/pub/meanwell_7.5V_20A_IMG_5189.JPG But that article was informative, and about electronics for a change, and you never know, is not Meanwell made in China (Taiwan New Taipei City) :-)
On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 08:54:49 -0700, John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 09:50:23 GMT, Jan Panteltje ><pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote: > >>Factor PFC Into Your Power-Supply Design >>pdf for download, some new chips:ADP1047 and ADP1048: >> https://www.electronicdesign.com/power-management/power-supply/whitepaper/21233724/electronic-design-factor-pfc-into-your-powersupply-design-pdf-download > >It's impossible to make your own PFC power supplies at the cost of >buying them. > >We buy a kilowatt Mean Well 48 volt supply for $156. It has emi >filters, a nice enclosure, an internal fan, and all sorts of >compliance stickers.
That is fine if your product is very expensive in the first place and BOM price isn't quite as important. Highland Technology is kind of niche though, isn't it ? Depends on the output requirements too, of course. boB
On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 11:59:46 -0700, boB <boB@K7IQ.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 08:54:49 -0700, John Larkin ><jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote: > >>On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 09:50:23 GMT, Jan Panteltje >><pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote: >> >>>Factor PFC Into Your Power-Supply Design >>>pdf for download, some new chips:ADP1047 and ADP1048: >>> https://www.electronicdesign.com/power-management/power-supply/whitepaper/21233724/electronic-design-factor-pfc-into-your-powersupply-design-pdf-download >> >>It's impossible to make your own PFC power supplies at the cost of >>buying them. >> >>We buy a kilowatt Mean Well 48 volt supply for $156. It has emi >>filters, a nice enclosure, an internal fan, and all sorts of >>compliance stickers. > > >That is fine if your product is very expensive in the first place and >BOM price isn't quite as important. Highland Technology is kind of >niche though, isn't it ?
I couldn't buy parts to make the MeanWell equivalent at twice the price we pay for the whole thing. And their quality has been excellent. No assembly required. High selling price doesn't mean we're happy to throw money away. We are niche, but that's no reason to design our own power supplies. We most always buy the prime source, what connects to the AC line, which gets us a single big DC source to work with. Then we add, usually many, secondary regulators on our boards. We use warts or laptop type supplies when we can. I don't want an AC connector on my box if I can avoid it.
> >Depends on the output requirements too, of course.
We usually need a lot of supplies. I just increased my current design from 10 to 15 distinct power pour nets.

> On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 09:50:23 GMT, Jan Panteltje > <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote: > >>Factor PFC Into Your Power-Supply Design >>pdf for download, some new chips:ADP1047 and ADP1048: >> https://www.electronicdesign.com/power-management/power-supply/whi >> tepaper/21233724/electronic-design-factor-pfc-into-your-powersuppl >> y-design-pdf-download > > It's impossible to make your own PFC power supplies at the cost of > buying them.
That depends on how many are to be manufactured and sold by "you". Incorporating a supply into a design is one thing and in a COTS realm choices can be made... however... Being a power supply maker, part of our realm was incorporating PFC where it was needed or required. Being primarily a DC-to-DC HV supply maker, the issue did not arise much.
> We buy a kilowatt Mean Well 48 volt supply for $156. It has emi > filters, a nice enclosure, an internal fan, and all sorts of > compliance stickers.
And... infant mortality... It's OK... They meant well, from their accountant's Point Of View.
On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 02:18:54 -0000 (UTC),
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:

>John Larkin <jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote in >news:6t9okhhrlggajurb12ev2ubi5m9j5fil77@4ax.com: > >> On Sun, 16 Oct 2022 09:50:23 GMT, Jan Panteltje >> <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote: >> >>>Factor PFC Into Your Power-Supply Design >>>pdf for download, some new chips:ADP1047 and ADP1048: >>> https://www.electronicdesign.com/power-management/power-supply/whi >>> tepaper/21233724/electronic-design-factor-pfc-into-your-powersuppl >>> y-design-pdf-download >> >> It's impossible to make your own PFC power supplies at the cost of >> buying them. > > That depends on how many are to be manufactured and sold by "you". > > Incorporating a supply into a design is one thing and in a COTS >realm choices can be made... however... > > Being a power supply maker, part of our realm was incorporating PFC >where it was needed or required. Being primarily a DC-to-DC HV >supply maker, the issue did not arise much. > >> We buy a kilowatt Mean Well 48 volt supply for $156. It has emi >> filters, a nice enclosure, an internal fan, and all sorts of >> compliance stickers. > > And... infant mortality... It's OK... They meant well, from their >accountant's Point Of View.
I'm in the power supply business, but I start with a MeanWell 24 or 48V dc supply and work from there. So far, we've had zero failures.

> I'm in the power supply business,
No, TrumpChump, you are not. You USE power supplies in your products and have had to design a few of your own to incorporate directly in your designs, but AFAIK your company is a signal handling device maker, not a power supply maker.
> but I start with a MeanWell 24 or > 48V dc supply and work from there.
Oh... you mean a supply from a PS vendor. Again, how does that make YOU a company which is "in the power supply business"?
> So far, we've had zero failures.
Except for that major failure residing between your ears. You are also a pathtic snipper of text as you respout your pathetic horeshit and ignore the entire post you responded to. Another between the ears fail for you, Johnny.