Power Bank Keepalive

Started by Don June 11, 2022
  Many consumer grade USB power banks come with a built-in
  automatic shutdown circuit. Light loads, such as the nominal
  6.8 μA drawn by a portable MP3 player, are not enough to
  prevent shutdown. To compensate, this project uses
  a 555 to nominally pull 100 mA every 5.5 seconds.

  ( excerpt - read more at https://crcomp.net/mp3mod/index.php )

Danke,

--
Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

On Saturday, 11 June 2022 at 23:04:48 UTC+2, Don wrote:
> Many consumer grade USB power banks come with a built-in > automatic shutdown circuit. Light loads, such as the nominal > 6.8 μA drawn by a portable MP3 player, are not enough to > prevent shutdown. To compensate, this project uses > a 555 to nominally pull 100 mA every 5.5 seconds. > > ( excerpt - read more at https://crcomp.net/mp3mod/index.php ) > > Danke, > > -- > Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu > There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light; > She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
smart powerbanks come 2 usb sockets, so you just connect your MP3 player to one usb socket and LED light to 2nd usb socket to keep it on. Smart MP3 platers come with internal battery, you can charge from power bank
a a <manta103g@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 June 2022 at 23:04:48 UTC+2, Don wrote: >> Many consumer grade USB power banks come with a built-in >> automatic shutdown circuit. Light loads, such as the nominal >> 6.8 &mu;A drawn by a portable MP3 player, are not enough to >> prevent shutdown. To compensate, this project uses >> a 555 to nominally pull 100 mA every 5.5 seconds. >> >> ( excerpt - read more at https://crcomp.net/mp3mod/index.php )
> smart powerbanks come 2 usb sockets, so you just connect your MP3 player > to one usb socket and LED light to 2nd usb socket to keep it on. > > Smart MP3 platers come with internal battery, you can charge from power bank
Your blatantly obvious approach was the first solution attempted by me. It was eventually, reluctantly, rejected because it doesn't work out so well in practice. Read the link to find out why. Danke, -- Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light; She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
On Saturday, 11 June 2022 at 23:43:26 UTC+2, Don wrote:
> a a <mant...@gmail.com> wrote: > > On Saturday, 11 June 2022 at 23:04:48 UTC+2, Don wrote: > >> Many consumer grade USB power banks come with a built-in > >> automatic shutdown circuit. Light loads, such as the nominal > >> 6.8 &mu;A drawn by a portable MP3 player, are not enough to > >> prevent shutdown. To compensate, this project uses > >> a 555 to nominally pull 100 mA every 5.5 seconds. > >> > >> ( excerpt - read more at https://crcomp.net/mp3mod/index.php ) > > smart powerbanks come 2 usb sockets, so you just connect your MP3 player > > to one usb socket and LED light to 2nd usb socket to keep it on. > > > > Smart MP3 platers come with internal battery, you can charge from power bank > Your blatantly obvious approach was the first solution attempted by me. > It was eventually, reluctantly, rejected because it doesn't work out so > well in practice. Read the link to find out why. > Danke, > > -- > Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu > There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light; > She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
MP3 player is an ancienct product, no more offered on a market. Most guys prefer smartphone to get and play back music.
On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 21:04:41 -0000 (UTC), "Don" <g@crcomp.net> wrote:

> Many consumer grade USB power banks come with a built-in > automatic shutdown circuit. Light loads, such as the nominal > 6.8 ?A drawn by a portable MP3 player, are not enough to > prevent shutdown. To compensate, this project uses > a 555 to nominally pull 100 mA every 5.5 seconds. > > ( excerpt - read more at https://crcomp.net/mp3mod/index.php ) > >Danke,
Maybe just a capacitor would keep it alive. -- Anybody can count to one. - Robert Widlar
On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 21:04:41 -0000 (UTC), "Don" <g@crcomp.net> wrote:

> Many consumer grade USB power banks come with a built-in > automatic shutdown circuit. Light loads, such as the nominal > 6.8 ?A drawn by a portable MP3 player, are not enough to > prevent shutdown. To compensate, this project uses > a 555 to nominally pull 100 mA every 5.5 seconds. > > ( excerpt - read more at https://crcomp.net/mp3mod/index.php ) > >Danke,
forgot the 'u' in microamps. I thought, what USB can supply 6 AMPS ?!?! :) boB
a a wrote:
> Don wrote: >> a a wrote: >> > Don wrote: >> >> Many consumer grade USB power banks come with a built-in >> >> automatic shutdown circuit. Light loads, such as the nominal >> >> 6.8 &mu;A drawn by a portable MP3 player, are not enough to >> >> prevent shutdown. To compensate, this project uses >> >> a 555 to nominally pull 100 mA every 5.5 seconds. >> >> >> >> ( excerpt - read more at https://crcomp.net/mp3mod/index.php ) >> > smart powerbanks come 2 usb sockets, so you just connect your MP3 player >> > to one usb socket and LED light to 2nd usb socket to keep it on. >> > >> > Smart MP3 platers come with internal battery, you can charge from power bank >> Your blatantly obvious approach was the first solution attempted by me. >> It was eventually, reluctantly, rejected because it doesn't work out so >> well in practice. Read the link to find out why. > > MP3 player is an ancient product, no more offered on a market. > Most guys prefer smartphone to get and play back music.
It sounds about right - you're probably correct in regards to what most people do. They use their phone to download MP3s from the Inet. OTOH, my phone is used strictly for phone calls, SMS, and photographs. By choice, it never connects to the Inet. A plain MP3 player appeals to me in the same manner as a unix command - it does only one job and it does it well. In this case, it plays MP3s pre-loaded onto an SD card. And it actually is still sold on ebay. There's a link to a retailer on my page. Upon further reflection, your LED idea certainly works as a replacement for the 555 circuit. It's a tradeoff - LED simplicity versus 555 efficiency. As is, the 555's about 18 times more efficient. It's probably doable to make it 40 - 50 times more efficient. The simultaneous use of both USB outputs didn't work for me. Nor did the simultaneous use of an external and internal battery. The back of the Power Bank states "Output: 5 V DC, 1 A or 2.1 A." There's two lightening bolts next to one of the USB outputs, while the other has only a single bolt. Presumably the former's for 2A. Anyhow, it seems to imply you can either use one or the other, ???but not both??? Danke, -- Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light; She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
boB wrote:
> Don wrote: > >> Many consumer grade USB power banks come with a built-in >> automatic shutdown circuit. Light loads, such as the nominal >> 6.8 ?A drawn by a portable MP3 player, are not enough to >> prevent shutdown. To compensate, this project uses >> a 555 to nominally pull 100 mA every 5.5 seconds. >> >> ( excerpt - read more at https://crcomp.net/mp3mod/index.php ) > > forgot the 'u' in microamps. > > I thought, what USB can supply 6 AMPS ?!?! :)
The back label on my Power Banks boasts it can supply 5 V DC at 2.1 A for 5,000 mAh. Anyhow, my message is UTF-8 encoded. The question mark between the 6.8 and A is actually a Greek mu character. Danke, -- Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light; She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> Don wrote: > >> Many consumer grade USB power banks come with a built-in >> automatic shutdown circuit. Light loads, such as the nominal >> 6.8 ?A drawn by a portable MP3 player, are not enough to >> prevent shutdown. To compensate, this project uses >> a 555 to nominally pull 100 mA every 5.5 seconds. >> >> ( excerpt - read more at https://crcomp.net/mp3mod/index.php ) > > Maybe just a capacitor would keep it alive.
The Power Bank doesn't show a garbage can with an X through it as is typically found on Li-Ion batteries. For all I know the Power Bank /is/ just a capacitor. It's the perfect size - about half the length of a smart phone. The whole gadget fits nicely into my pocket with plenty of space left over for a small flashlight and a Swiss army knife. Danke, -- Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light; She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
On 06/11/2022 04:21 PM, a a wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 June 2022 at 23:43:26 UTC+2, Don wrote: >> a a <mant...@gmail.com> wrote: >>> On Saturday, 11 June 2022 at 23:04:48 UTC+2, Don wrote: >>>> Many consumer grade USB power banks come with a built-in >>>> automatic shutdown circuit. Light loads, such as the nominal >>>> 6.8 &mu;A drawn by a portable MP3 player, are not enough to >>>> prevent shutdown. To compensate, this project uses >>>> a 555 to nominally pull 100 mA every 5.5 seconds. >>>> >>>> ( excerpt - read more at https://crcomp.net/mp3mod/index.php ) >>> smart powerbanks come 2 usb sockets, so you just connect your MP3 player >>> to one usb socket and LED light to 2nd usb socket to keep it on. >>> >>> Smart MP3 platers come with internal battery, you can charge from power bank >> Your blatantly obvious approach was the first solution attempted by me. >> It was eventually, reluctantly, rejected because it doesn't work out so >> well in practice. Read the link to find out why. >> Danke, >> >> -- >> Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu >> There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light; >> She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night. > MP3 player is an ancienct product, no more offered on a market. > Most guys prefer smartphone to get and play back music. >
I was surprised a couple of years ago when I went to Best Buy to get an MP3 player and they only had one, one piece that is, not one model. The question remains which would I rather take to the gym and possibly destroy, a $30 SanDisk Jam or a smart phone. Which is more convenient to clip to my t-shirt? Even though I don't have a $1000 smart phone it's still not a hard question.