Folks used to be true artisans

Started by Unknown December 17, 2021
  Look what hundreds of years of grassland creates.  A two foot thick
mat of soil.

  A farmers son sees some pottery and looks at a sat image of his
father's land plot and sees markers from another era.

  Amazing what folks used to do to buildings and patios, etc.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDVSGnt03E>
On 12/17/2021 5:28 PM, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> Look what hundreds of years of grassland creates. A two foot thick > mat of soil. > > A farmers son sees some pottery and looks at a sat image of his > father's land plot and sees markers from another era. > > Amazing what folks used to do to buildings and patios, etc. > > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDVSGnt03E>
Awesome! Thanks! Ed
On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 4:28:07 PM UTC-6, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> Look what hundreds of years of grassland creates. A two foot thick > mat of soil. > > A farmers son sees some pottery and looks at a sat image of his > father's land plot and sees markers from another era. > > Amazing what folks used to do to buildings and patios, etc. > > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDVSGnt03E>
There's a tv show on the History channel called Pawn Stars. People sometimes bring in old weapons like blunderbusses that are all fixed up. Japanese swords are something else with fancy workmanship. Do you know how the excavation sites like this one are protected from weather or vandals?
Dean Hoffman <deanh6929@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 4:28:07 PM UTC-6, > DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: >> Look what hundreds of years of grassland creates. A two foot >> thick mat of soil. >> >> A farmers son sees some pottery and looks at a sat image of his >> father's land plot and sees markers from another era. >> >> Amazing what folks used to do to buildings and patios, etc. >> >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDVSGnt03E> > > There's a tv show on the History channel called Pawn Stars. > People sometimes bring > in old weapons like blunderbusses that are all fixed up. > Japanese swords are something else with fancy workmanship. > Do you know how the excavation sites like this one are > protected from weather or vandals? >
It is in an open field right now... Bloody England has designated it as some kind of protected site, I think. Similar to the protection moniker certain sites around the world get. But a moniker is one thing. Actual protection is an entirely different animal. Just ask any "protected" extinct animal. Oh... that's right... you can't.
On 18/12/2021 03:21, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> Dean Hoffman <deanh6929@gmail.com> wrote in > news:021aa98d-57a4-4474-a198-7d0ffbf4c183n@googlegroups.com: > >> On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 4:28:07 PM UTC-6, >> DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: >>> Look what hundreds of years of grassland creates. A two foot >>> thick mat of soil. >>> >>> A farmers son sees some pottery and looks at a sat image of his >>> father's land plot and sees markers from another era. >>> >>> Amazing what folks used to do to buildings and patios, etc. >>> >>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDVSGnt03E> >> >> There's a tv show on the History channel called Pawn Stars. >> People sometimes bring >> in old weapons like blunderbusses that are all fixed up. >> Japanese swords are something else with fancy workmanship. >> Do you know how the excavation sites like this one are >> protected from weather or vandals? >> > > It is in an open field right now... > > Bloody England has designated it as some kind of protected site, I > think. Similar to the protection moniker certain sites around the > world get. > > But a moniker is one thing. Actual protection is an entirely > different animal. Just ask any "protected" extinct animal. Oh... > that's right... you can't.
There are quite a few laws here in the UK (although it varies, with different rules applying to Scotland) which protect historically important sites. One of them concerns "treasure", where gold or silver coins or metalwork are found by detectorists or others. This has to be reported to the coroner (England and Wales) or procurator fiscal (Scotland). Much more info here: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_trove> There are moves to strengthen the law (the "Treasure Act 1996") so that finds of great importance, but which are not precious metal, are covered. More info here: <https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/dec/04/definition-of-treasure-trove-to-be-recast-to-protect-uks-rare-artefacts> or, if you've got nothing to do this Christmas, you can bore yourself silly here: <https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/revising-the-definition-of-treasure-in-the-treasure-act-1996-and-revising-the-related-codes-of-practice/outcome/revising-the-definition-of-treasure-in-the-treasure-act-1996-and-revising-the-related-codes-of-practice-government-response-to-public-consultation> -- Jeff
On Saturday, December 18, 2021 at 2:16:47 AM UTC-6, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 18/12/2021 03:21, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > > Dean Hoffman <dean...@gmail.com> wrote in > > news:021aa98d-57a4-4474...@googlegroups.com: > > > >> On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 4:28:07 PM UTC-6, > >> DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > >>> Look what hundreds of years of grassland creates. A two foot > >>> thick mat of soil. > >>> > >>> A farmers son sees some pottery and looks at a sat image of his > >>> father's land plot and sees markers from another era. > >>> > >>> Amazing what folks used to do to buildings and patios, etc. > >>> > >>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDVSGnt03E> > >> > >> There's a tv show on the History channel called Pawn Stars. > >> People sometimes bring > >> in old weapons like blunderbusses that are all fixed up. > >> Japanese swords are something else with fancy workmanship. > >> Do you know how the excavation sites like this one are > >> protected from weather or vandals? > >> > > > > It is in an open field right now... > > > > Bloody England has designated it as some kind of protected site, I > > think. Similar to the protection moniker certain sites around the > > world get. > > > > But a moniker is one thing. Actual protection is an entirely > > different animal. Just ask any "protected" extinct animal. Oh... > > that's right... you can't. > There are quite a few laws here in the UK (although it varies, with > different rules applying to Scotland) which protect historically > important sites. One of them concerns "treasure", where gold or silver > coins or metalwork are found by detectorists or others. This has to be > reported to the coroner (England and Wales) or procurator fiscal > (Scotland). Much more info here: > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_trove>
It was finder keepers for the boys in the henhouse. They must've had some interesting discussions with their parents.
> > The re are moves to strengthen the law (the "Treasure Act 1996") so that > finds of great importance, but which are not precious metal, are > covered. More info here: > <https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/dec/04/definition-of-treasure-trove-to-be-recast-to-protect-uks-rare-artefacts>
I don't know if I've ever seen anyone using a metal detector. Maybe there just isn't anything that interesting in the middle United States.
> or, if you've got nothing to do this Christmas, you can bore yourself > silly here:
> <https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/revising-the-definition-of-treasure-in-the-treasure-act-1996-and-revising-the-related-codes-of-practice/outcome/revising-the-definition-of-treasure-in-the-treasure-act-1996-and-revising-the-related-codes-of-practice-government-response-to-public-consultation>
Maybe there will be a bad blizzard this winter and I won't be able to get out for a couple days.
> > -- > > Jeff
Thank you.
ehsjr wrote:
> On 12/17/2021 5:28 PM, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: >> Look what hundreds of years of grassland creates. A two foot >> thick mat of soil. >> >> A farmers son sees some pottery and looks at a sat image of his >> father's land plot and sees markers from another era. >> >> Amazing what folks used to do to buildings and patios, etc. >> >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDVSGnt03E> > > Awesome! Thanks! > Ed
It's actually less impressive than the mosaics in the lobbies of many office buildings that were built before WWII. -- Defund the Thought Police Andiamo Brandon!
"Tom Del Rosso" <fizzbintuesday@that-google-mail-domain.com> wrote
in news:sqapt9$nb4$1@dont-email.me:

Well, they had a lot more technology to make them look better too. So not as impressive as you make them sound, but impressive nontheless. Cincinnati had some... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winold_Reiss_industrial_murals