SPICE S parameter for frequency dependent circuit components question

Started by amal banerjee November 19, 2021
On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 3:05:19 AM UTC-8, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 22:21:27 -0800 (PST), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com> > wrote:
> >... In pulse applications, there's > >mechanical stress to consider. as well. This little item, for instance, > >had a mechanical stress event > > > ><http://www.capturedlightning.com/frames/gallery/coins6.jpg> > > > >and no amount of SPICE expertise can model that issue.
> That inductor sees 7 ns 1400 v pulses at up to 5 MHz. So there are no > mechanical effects. Or no audible ones!
I wonder if the helix diameter is the same after a few million such hammer-blows? It isn't the RMS pressure that causes metal to stretch, peaks beyond elastic limit are enough.
On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 19:15:07 -0800 (PST), whit3rd <whit3rd@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 3:05:19 AM UTC-8, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: >> On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 22:21:27 -0800 (PST), whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com> >> wrote: > >> >... In pulse applications, there's >> >mechanical stress to consider. as well. This little item, for instance, >> >had a mechanical stress event >> > >> ><http://www.capturedlightning.com/frames/gallery/coins6.jpg> >> > >> >and no amount of SPICE expertise can model that issue. > >> That inductor sees 7 ns 1400 v pulses at up to 5 MHz. So there are no >> mechanical effects. Or no audible ones! > >I wonder if the helix diameter is the same after a few million >such hammer-blows? It isn't the RMS pressure that causes >metal to stretch, peaks beyond elastic limit are enough.
5 MHz is 400 billion hits per day. I didn't see any change. The peak current is only about 15 amps. -- Father Brown's figure remained quite dark and still; but in that instant he had lost his head. His head was always most valuable when he had lost it.