Battery tester

Started by Carlos E. R. November 10, 2021
Hi,

Many moons ago I bought an analog multimeter, and one of its functions
was to test batteries. It loaded the battery with a resistor, drawing
some significant current (for three battery types) and then measuring I
don't know if voltage or current (typical green-yellow-red zones).

Right now it is on another city.

So now comes a friend that says the battery for a DECT phone doesn't
last long. I offer to test it, but then I realize that 1) My digital
multimeter can only test the voltage, and 2) I don't even have a torch
bulb of incandescent type to put a load on it. So I can't really _test_
the battery.

So I have a look at Amazon, and most battery testers seem to measure
voltage, there is no mention of loading the batteries.

So I thought if someone has a table of voltages each battery type should
yield when loaded with some resistance. Or if someone has designed a kit
for doing this, or if someone knows of a proper tester sold at Amazon,
for measuring batteries under some load.

My quick getaway will probably be buying a 1.5 volt incandescent bulb
somewhere... Even finding that on Amazon draws no hits on a quick test.
Wait, I found a pack of 50! 14€. I found others for 3 volts, and some
with a delivery time of one month.

--
Cheers,
       Carlos E.R.
On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 10:06:25 AM UTC-6, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Hi, > > > Many moons ago I bought an analog multimeter, and one of its functions > was to test batteries. It loaded the battery with a resistor, drawing > some significant current (for three battery types) and then measuring I > don't know if voltage or current (typical green-yellow-red zones). > > Right now it is on another city. > > So now comes a friend that says the battery for a DECT phone doesn't > last long. I offer to test it, but then I realize that 1) My digital > multimeter can only test the voltage, and 2) I don't even have a torch > bulb of incandescent type to put a load on it. So I can't really _test_ > the battery. > > So I have a look at Amazon, and most battery testers seem to measure > voltage, there is no mention of loading the batteries. > > So I thought if someone has a table of voltages each battery type should > yield when loaded with some resistance. Or if someone has designed a kit > for doing this, or if someone knows of a proper tester sold at Amazon, > for measuring batteries under some load. > > My quick getaway will probably be buying a 1.5 volt incandescent bulb > somewhere... Even finding that on Amazon draws no hits on a quick test. > Wait, I found a pack of 50! 14€. I found others for 3 volts, and some > with a delivery time of one month. > > -- > Cheers, > Carlos E.R.
Do you have a good old fashioned hardware store around? Emphasis on old.
In article <8v6t5ix288.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>,
robin_listas@es.invalid says...
> > Hi, > > > Many moons ago I bought an analog multimeter, and one of its functions > was to test batteries. It loaded the battery with a resistor, drawing > some significant current (for three battery types) and then measuring I > don't know if voltage or current (typical green-yellow-red zones). > > Right now it is on another city. > > So now comes a friend that says the battery for a DECT phone doesn't > last long. I offer to test it, but then I realize that 1) My digital > multimeter can only test the voltage, and 2) I don't even have a torch > bulb of incandescent type to put a load on it. So I can't really _test_ > the battery. > > So I have a look at Amazon, and most battery testers seem to measure > voltage, there is no mention of loading the batteries. > > So I thought if someone has a table of voltages each battery type should > yield when loaded with some resistance. Or if someone has designed a kit > for doing this, or if someone knows of a proper tester sold at Amazon, > for measuring batteries under some load. > > My quick getaway will probably be buying a 1.5 volt incandescent bulb > somewhere... Even finding that on Amazon draws no hits on a quick test. > Wait, I found a pack of 50! 14&#4294967295;. I found others for 3 volts, and some > with a delivery time of one month.
My favourite appliance is a 1.25V MES bulb which is screwed into one coiled end of a length of stout iron wire the rest of which is bent to touch the base of an AA battery held against the bulb. I can tell by the brilliant <> dull gleem of the bulb what the state of an alcaline or rechargable is. But I have looked for a spare 1.25V bulb to no avail. 1.5V is easy, though... https://cpc.farnell.com/electrovision/f018c/1-5v-mes- lamp/dp/AR70334
On 10/11/2021 17.17, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 10:06:25 AM UTC-6, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> My quick getaway will probably be buying a 1.5 volt incandescent bulb >> somewhere... Even finding that on Amazon draws no hits on a quick test. >> Wait, I found a pack of 50! 14&euro;. I found others for 3 volts, and some >> with a delivery time of one month.
> > Do you have a good old fashioned hardware store around? Emphasis on old.
Oh, I understand :-) But no, I am staying at a new neighbourhood. -- Cheers, Carlos E.R.
On a sunny day (Wed, 10 Nov 2021 17:01:12 +0100) it happened "Carlos E. R."
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in <8v6t5ix288.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>:

>Hi, > > >Many moons ago I bought an analog multimeter, and one of its functions >was to test batteries. It loaded the battery with a resistor, drawing >some significant current (for three battery types) and then measuring I >don't know if voltage or current (typical green-yellow-red zones). > >Right now it is on another city. > >So now comes a friend that says the battery for a DECT phone doesn't >last long. I offer to test it, but then I realize that 1) My digital >multimeter can only test the voltage, and 2) I don't even have a torch >bulb of incandescent type to put a load on it. So I can't really _test_ >the battery.
It alk depends on the battery chemistery. For a simple AA or AAA 1.5 V type I, provided it is charged, I sometimes just use the multimeter on the 10 A scale and so short the battery for a second. If it says 100 mA you know it is a throw away, should be much more than 1 amp Internal resistance. Do not do that with a liion or or lipo or lifepo4 at 3V or more .... Ebay has nice power resistors, many for a few $, this I use to test those batteries: http://panteltje.com/pub/power_resistors_IMG_6291.JPG http://panteltje.com/pub/big_heatsink_IMG_6292.JPG you can put them in series or parallel any way you like (alligator test leads), values are all the same I use that to test high power lipos What also is nice is a clamp on DC current meter: http://panteltje.com/pub/hubsan_h501s_current_test_full_throttle_IMG_6290.JPG still a bit more expensive, but at very high current test leads and meters have way to much resistance.
Pack of fifty little 1.5 volt bulbs: https://www.amazon.es/GutReise-Blanco-Bombillas-tornillo-miniatura/dp/B07JB1W3NT/ It says LED, but I can clearly see the filament in the photos. I'm tempted to buy them, but what do wi do with the other 49? -- Cheers, Carlos E.R.
On 11/10/2021 12:28 PM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Wed, 10 Nov 2021 17:01:12 +0100) it happened "Carlos E. R." > <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in <8v6t5ix288.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>: > >> Hi, >> >> >> Many moons ago I bought an analog multimeter, and one of its functions >> was to test batteries. It loaded the battery with a resistor, drawing >> some significant current (for three battery types) and then measuring I >> don't know if voltage or current (typical green-yellow-red zones). >> >> Right now it is on another city. >> >> So now comes a friend that says the battery for a DECT phone doesn't >> last long. I offer to test it, but then I realize that 1) My digital >> multimeter can only test the voltage, and 2) I don't even have a torch >> bulb of incandescent type to put a load on it. So I can't really _test_ >> the battery. > It all depends on the battery chemistery. >
&nbsp;Yes, so you need to find a discharge graph of the battery and use the proper load resistor. &nbsp;Although, if it doesn't last long, it is probably bad. If you think it is the charger (unlikely since it does get some charge) Switch the phone to a different base. You might compare the loaded voltage of the (bad) battery to one in another phone, assuming he has a three phone system. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Mikek -- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Check these out!! Yes, maybe expensive on your Dollar Scale. However it works great!! https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=ZTS+Multi-Battery+Tester&_sacat=0
On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 8:06:25 AM UTC-8, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Many moons ago I bought an analog multimeter, and one of its functions > was to test batteries. > ...... I have a look at Amazon, and most battery testers seem to measure > voltage, there is no mention of loading the batteries.
I've sometimes used an auto headlight for load, but my trusty Radio Shack Battery Tester works well for common cell types; its ranges are marked Alkaline button cell: 1.5V 1 mA (implied load 1500 ohms) Lithium coin cell 3V 1 mA (3k ohms) AAA cell, N cell 1.5V 50 mA (30 ohms) AA cell 1.5V 150 mA (10 0hms) Photo 6V Rectangular 9V 12V 22.5V (those last ranges don't identify the load; possibly they just use a single resistor at circa 3k ohms, which would be appropriate for the 9V at least). <https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/232907151786_/Vintage-Radio-Shack-Battery-Tester-Cat-No-22-090.jpg> So, there's a wide-ish range of load resistances to consider.
Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > Many moons ago I bought an analog multimeter, and one of its functions > was to test batteries. It loaded the battery with a resistor, drawing > some significant current (for three battery types) and then measuring I > don't know if voltage or current (typical green-yellow-red zones).
** Measures voltage.
> So now comes a friend that says the battery for a DECT phone doesn't > last long. I offer to test it, but then I realize that ...
** It is a rechargeable type - so not easily tested. And not with that meter at all !! Cell capacity of NiCd or NiMh cells can only be tested by timing a discharge cycle. Tell you friend to buy new cells. ..... Phil