OT: People Proclaim the Right to Spread the Virus, but We Don't Have a Right to TikTok

Started by Ricketty C September 18, 2020
Tell me this country is not so messed up!

How again is TikTok a threat to national security???

Everything TikTok does is also done by Google, Yahoo and many other web sites.  It is claimed that TikTok gives the information mined to the Chinese government.  Really?  PRC wants to know what clothes I'm buying and what movies I watch???

Is this the height of paranoia???  Is there any substance to this phobia?

Oh, I get it.  Let's ignore the real issues of the economy and the coronavirus and find an enemy to attack!  We don't want to fight any shootin' wars, but we can pick on as many companies as we fell like.  But not too far from the election.  We don't want the courts telling us we were wrong so make sure there's not enough time for a court challenge.

Whatever.  We'll only have to deal with this nonsense another few months.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
On 9/18/20 1:09 PM, Ricketty C wrote:
> Tell me this country is not so messed up! > > How again is TikTok a threat to national security??? > > Everything TikTok does is also done by Google, Yahoo and many other web sites. It is claimed that TikTok gives the information mined to the Chinese government. Really? PRC wants to know what clothes I'm buying and what movies I watch??? > > Is this the height of paranoia??? Is there any substance to this phobia? > > Oh, I get it. Let's ignore the real issues of the economy and the coronavirus and find an enemy to attack! We don't want to fight any shootin' wars, but we can pick on as many companies as we fell like. But not too far from the election. We don't want the courts telling us we were wrong so make sure there's not enough time for a court challenge. > > Whatever. We'll only have to deal with this nonsense another few months. >
Hundreds of thousands of TikToK users requested tickets to a big Trump rally with no intention of going. This lead to a big embarrassment to the Trump organization when they planned for a big overflow crowd. In fact only about a third of the stadium was full. Therefor, in typical Trump fashion, TikTok has to be punished.
On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 11:09:55 AM UTC-7, Ricketty C wrote:
> Tell me this country is not so messed up! > > How again is TikTok a threat to national security??? > > Everything TikTok does is also done by Google, Yahoo and many other web sites. It is claimed that TikTok gives the information mined to the Chinese government. Really? PRC wants to know what clothes I'm buying and what movies I watch???
Not really, but they want to know where the soldiers are, when they are taking selfies using TikTok during training. There were published paths of U.S. military bases in Turkey (i think).
On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 3:57:11 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 11:09:55 AM UTC-7, Ricketty C wrote: > > Tell me this country is not so messed up! > > > > How again is TikTok a threat to national security??? > > > > Everything TikTok does is also done by Google, Yahoo and many other web sites. It is claimed that TikTok gives the information mined to the Chinese government. Really? PRC wants to know what clothes I'm buying and what movies I watch??? > > Not really, but they want to know where the soldiers are, when they are taking selfies using TikTok during training. There were published paths of U.S. military bases in Turkey (i think).
Of course that can't happen with Facebook or any other web site??? It's not about what people did with a social media site, it's about creating paranoia over China. If car companies start making cars in China for sale in the US I guess Trump will ban them too saying they can spy on where we travel and may some day refuse to work crippling our transportation when the Chinese invade. How about we just stop buying anything from China and make everything the US needs in South Bend, Indiana? That should work well, no? -- Rick C. + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging + Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 1:12:10 PM UTC-7, Ricketty C wrote:
> On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 3:57:11 PM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote: > > On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 11:09:55 AM UTC-7, Ricketty C wrote: > > > Tell me this country is not so messed up! > > > > > > How again is TikTok a threat to national security??? > > > > > > Everything TikTok does is also done by Google, Yahoo and many other web sites. It is claimed that TikTok gives the information mined to the Chinese government. Really? PRC wants to know what clothes I'm buying and what movies I watch??? > > > > Not really, but they want to know where the soldiers are, when they are taking selfies using TikTok during training. There were published paths of U.S. military bases in Turkey (i think).
> Of course that can't happen with Facebook or any other web site??? It's not about what people did with a social media site, it's about creating paranoia over China.
CCP does not have controlling interest in facebook. CCP invest and control TikTok top management, and to a lesser degree: Zoom.
> If car companies start making cars in China for sale in the US I guess Trump will ban them too saying they can spy on where we travel and may some day refuse to work crippling our transportation when the Chinese invade. How about we just stop buying anything from China and make everything the US needs in South Bend, Indiana? That should work well, no?
Even if they don't export to the U.S., if they have large financial establishment in China. CCP can twist the manfacturer's arm and leg. For example, they can order the manufacturer to disclose their rocket engine design, or risk communizing their factories.
On 18/09/20 20:57, Ed Lee wrote:
> On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 11:09:55 AM UTC-7, Ricketty C wrote: >> Tell me this country is not so messed up! >> >> How again is TikTok a threat to national security??? >> >> Everything TikTok does is also done by Google, Yahoo and many other web >> sites. It is claimed that TikTok gives the information mined to the Chinese >> government. Really? PRC wants to know what clothes I'm buying and what >> movies I watch??? > > Not really, but they want to know where the soldiers are, when they are > taking selfies using TikTok during training. There were published paths of > U.S. military bases in Turkey (i think).
Strava revealed soldiers jogging around clandestine US military bases in some surprising locations. Probably other countries' bases as well.
On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 11:09:55 AM UTC-7, Ricketty C wrote:
> Tell me this country is not so messed up! > > How again is TikTok a threat to national security???
The argument is, the parent company is required (under Chinese law) to act as an agent of Chinese government. This means, by extension, that US-origin information which would not be available to US government without showing cause and getting a court order, is routinely available to China. Maybe, if all TikTok US employees were to register as agents of a foreign power, it would satisfy 'the law' as now written. Because of the way those laws are written, a LOT of commercial data has little or no privacy protection, and that means that our own law enforcement can buy info without a court order... so there's a big privacy lobby AND a big anti-privacy lobby, and deadlock on data privacy legislation. Presidential action is of questionable legality (and maybe too little, too late). European data privacy legislation (both EU and Russia) is not inspiring. We as a species haven't yet found a good way to deal with this social problem. Electronic design is WAY ahead, our customs and ethics have a lot of catching up to do.
On 9/18/2020 2:09 PM, Ricketty C wrote:
> Tell me this country is not so messed up! > > How again is TikTok a threat to national security??? > > Everything TikTok does is also done by Google, Yahoo and many other web sites. It is claimed that TikTok gives the information mined to the Chinese government. Really? PRC wants to know what clothes I'm buying and what movies I watch??? > > Is this the height of paranoia??? Is there any substance to this phobia? > > Oh, I get it. Let's ignore the real issues of the economy and the coronavirus and find an enemy to attack! We don't want to fight any shootin' wars, but we can pick on as many companies as we fell like. But not too far from the election. We don't want the courts telling us we were wrong so make sure there's not enough time for a court challenge. > > Whatever. We'll only have to deal with this nonsense another few months. >
"The American is marked, in fact, by precisely the habits of mind and act that one would look for in a man insatiably ambitious and yet incurably fearful, to wit, the habits, on the one hand, of unpleasant assertiveness, of somewhat boisterous braggardism, of incessant pushing, and, on the other hand, of conformity, caution and subservience. He is forever talking of his rights as if he stood ready to defend them with his last drop of blood, and forever yielding them up at the first demand." The American Credo: A Contribution toward the Interpretation of the National Mind (1920)
> Tell me this country is not so messed up! > > How again is TikTok a threat to national security??? > > Everything TikTok does is also done by Google, Yahoo and many other web sites. It is claimed that TikTok gives the information mined to the Chinese government. Really? PRC wants to know what clothes I'm buying and what movies I watch??? > > Is this the height of paranoia??? Is there any substance to this phobia? > > Oh, I get it. Let's ignore the real issues of the economy and the coronavirus and find an enemy to attack! We don't want to fight any shootin' wars, but we can pick on as many companies as we fell like. But not too far from the election. We don't want the courts telling us we were wrong so make sure there's not enough time for a court challenge. > > Whatever. We'll only have to deal with this nonsense another few months. >
I see little difference between the Chinese government and the US with regards to data security after the Patriot Act was passed in 2001. Everything that goes over the internet in the US is stored and can be checked up on by the NSA or perhaps Homeland Security. With no recourse to the courts. How is that different than what the Chinese might do with the data? Really? Some of us on the rest of the planet take some pains to store data outside of the USA... John :-#(#
This is a false argument, the parent company is not chinese. https://reason.com/2020/08/24/mike-godwin-the-creator-of-godwins-law-is-suing-trump-over-his-tiktok-executive-order/ -- Jasen.