Is there a good book for learning about valves/tubes?

Started by david eather August 9, 2020
suggestions please
TIA
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 07:06:13 +1000, david eather
<eathDELETEer@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>suggestions please >TIA
Lots of old books scanned online. Search for vacuum tube design or similar into Google etc... www.archive.org will have many books I believe.
Hard to go wrong with good old RDH4,
http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/RDH4.pdf

May be a little on the heavy side if you're more generally beginner, than an
active designer and just unfamiliar with tubes in particular.

Also plenty of articles and web pages by varying degrees of experts, fans
and nuts.  Tubecad comes to mind as one of the generally informative ones.
Downside is, the audioph{ile|ool} community won't give the most practical or
representative picture of things, so keep that in mind.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC

On 8/9/2020 6:21 PM, Tim Williams wrote:
> Hard to go wrong with good old RDH4, > http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/RDH4.pdf > > May be a little on the heavy side if you're more generally beginner, > than an active designer and just unfamiliar with tubes in particular. > > Also plenty of articles and web pages by varying degrees of experts, > fans and nuts.&#4294967295; Tubecad comes to mind as one of the generally > informative ones. Downside is, the audioph{ile|ool} community won't give > the most practical or representative picture of things, so keep that in > mind. > > Tim >
An RDH4 alternative from the time period that's a bit more compact but covers the important topics: <https://www.amazon.com/Electron-tube-Circuits-Samuel-Seely/dp/B00005VRTP>
david eather wrote:

================

** Your Q is way too broad - the topic of tubes is ENORMOUS while current production involves only a few popular audio types.

FFS tell us what you ACTUALLY wish to know about.

.....  Phil

On 8/10/2020 3:51 AM, Tim Williams wrote:
> Hard to go wrong with good old RDH4, > http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/RDH4.pdf > > May be a little on the heavy side if you're more generally beginner, than an > active designer and just unfamiliar with tubes in particular. > > Also plenty of articles and web pages by varying degrees of experts, fans > and nuts. Tubecad comes to mind as one of the generally informative ones. > Downside is, the audioph{ile|ool} community won't give the most practical or > representative picture of things, so keep that in mind. > > Tim >
I totally agree with Tim's recommendation including the caveats. RDH4, in case you haven't already found out, stands for Radiotron Designer's Handbook 4th Edison. It was my bible in the early days. I still have the original print as well as the pdf.
On Sunday, 9 August 2020 22:06:16 UTC+1, david eather  wrote:
> suggestions please > TIA
There are loads & loads to choose from. Most of them contain all the basic info. I see no point limiting yourself to one or 2 possibles, see what you can find. NT

I thought this one useful enough to republish in electronic format. http://www.magma.ca/~legg/CCDM/CCDMp000iii.html A search for 'Conductance Curve Design Manual' should get a pdf version. RL
On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 5:06:16 PM UTC-4, david eather wrote:
> suggestions please > TIA
Dunno exactly what you're looking for, but the suggestions you've gotten so far are for books about designing *with* valves/tubes. Another dimension is the design *of* valves/tubes. If that's what interests you, look up "1940 RCA Vacuum Tube Design." (There are also later editions.) You can find free PDFs on the web. I find the subject fascinating (and who knows, it may be relevant again in a post-apocalyptic world :-) ) -- Silvar Beitel
On 8/11/2020 12:00 AM, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 5:06:16 PM UTC-4, david eather wrote: >> suggestions please >> TIA > > Dunno exactly what you're looking for, but the suggestions you've gotten so far are for books about designing *with* valves/tubes. Another dimension is the design *of* valves/tubes. If that's what interests you, look up "1940 RCA Vacuum Tube Design." (There are also later editions.) You can find free PDFs on the web. I find the subject fascinating (and who knows, it may be relevant again in a post-apocalyptic world :-) ) >
Or a post-pandemic world...