Forums

why do they do this?

Started by John Larkin May 18, 2020
ST makes a nice little LDO, super-low dropout with an aux Vbias
supply. Saves me from rolling my own with an opamp and a mosfet.

It's an ST1L08.

So why is the data sheet file  en.DM00123507.pdf ?

-- 

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing   precision measurement 

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 7:41:34 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> ST makes a nice little LDO, super-low dropout with an aux Vbias > supply. Saves me from rolling my own with an opamp and a mosfet. > > It's an ST1L08. > > So why is the data sheet file en.DM00123507.pdf ?
Who cares, it's a crappy regulator. And the lying bastards with their fake dropout specs while conveniently omitting the fact that Vbias must be greater than Vout + 1.5V. The GND current at no load of 35uA, sucks , as does that showy 80dB PSRR at 100 Hz. Battery operation usually doesn't care a whole lot about PSRR. And the thermal impedance specs are so bad, you just try getting 800mA out of it with any kind voltage headroom without using a liquid nitrogen drip.
> > -- > > John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc > picosecond timing precision measurement > > jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com > http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 7:41:34 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> ST makes a nice little LDO, super-low dropout with an aux Vbias > supply. Saves me from rolling my own with an opamp and a mosfet. > > It's an ST1L08. > > So why is the data sheet file en.DM00123507.pdf ?
To track revisions.
To make sales and marketing happy, by making them think they actually DO something. 

  If you can't find the data, then THEY feel good when they tell you where to find it. I've seen this many times, HERE is a picture of our beautiful product. Call/Email to get data, we may call you some time next week. Forces customers to talk to marketing and sales so they can justify their existence. 

When you call them, if they answer their phone, they have a cryptic number on a spread sheet to give you. 

No, I'm not kidding... 

Steve 


On Mon, 18 May 2020 17:57:06 -0700 (PDT),
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com wrote:

>On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 7:41:34 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote: >> ST makes a nice little LDO, super-low dropout with an aux Vbias >> supply. Saves me from rolling my own with an opamp and a mosfet. >> >> It's an ST1L08. >> >> So why is the data sheet file en.DM00123507.pdf ? > >Who cares, it's a crappy regulator. And the lying bastards with their fake dropout specs while conveniently omitting the fact that Vbias must be greater than Vout + 1.5V.
Lying? It's all over the data sheet. It's how they get the millivolts of dropout. I do that when I make my own super-LDOs, power an opamp from some higher voltage and over-drive an nfet follower down to milliohms of Rds-on.
>The GND current at no load of 35uA, sucks , as does that showy 80dB PSRR at 100 Hz. Battery operation usually doesn't care a whole lot about PSRR. And the thermal impedance specs are so bad, you just try getting 800mA out of it with any kind voltage headroom without using a liquid nitrogen drip. >
I'm dropping a switched 1.8 to 1.5. That's 0.3 volts. Times 800 mA would be 0.24 watts dissipated. Actually, I don't need that much current to run a couple DRAM chips. You sure are in a bad mood lately. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc Science teaches us to doubt. Claude Bernard
On Mon, 18 May 2020 19:35:41 -0700 (PDT), sroberts6328@gmail.com
wrote:

>To make sales and marketing happy, by making them think they actually DO something. > > If you can't find the data, then THEY feel good when they tell you where to find it. I've seen this many times, HERE is a picture of our beautiful product. Call/Email to get data, we may call you some time next week. Forces customers to talk to marketing and sales so they can justify their existence. > >When you call them, if they answer their phone, they have a cryptic number on a spread sheet to give you. > >No, I'm not kidding... > >Steve >
It also annoys me when people send me a resume' with file name resume.doc. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc Science teaches us to doubt. Claude Bernard
On 2020-05-19 00:02, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2020 19:35:41 -0700 (PDT), sroberts6328@gmail.com > wrote: > >> To make sales and marketing happy, by making them think they actually DO something. >> >> If you can't find the data, then THEY feel good when they tell you where to find it. I've seen this many times, HERE is a picture of our beautiful product. Call/Email to get data, we may call you some time next week. Forces customers to talk to marketing and sales so they can justify their existence. >> >> When you call them, if they answer their phone, they have a cryptic number on a spread sheet to give you. >> >> No, I'm not kidding... >> >> Steve >> > > It also annoys me when people send me a resume' with file name > resume.doc. > > >
As opposed to TheGreatJohnSmithsWonderfulResumeForYourAdmiration.pdf ? Cheers Phil Hobbs
On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 12:02:54 AM UTC-4, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2020 19:35:41 -0700 (PDT), sroberts6328@gmail.com > wrote: > > >To make sales and marketing happy, by making them think they actually DO something. > > > > If you can't find the data, then THEY feel good when they tell you where to find it. I've seen this many times, HERE is a picture of our beautiful product. Call/Email to get data, we may call you some time next week. Forces customers to talk to marketing and sales so they can justify their existence. > > > >When you call them, if they answer their phone, they have a cryptic number on a spread sheet to give you. > > > >No, I'm not kidding... > > > >Steve > > > > It also annoys me when people send me a resume' with file name > resume.doc.
It seems pretty easy to annoy you. You sure seem in a bad mood lately. -- Rick C. -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging -- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 2:01:09 PM UTC+10, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2020 17:57:06 -0700 (PDT), > bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com wrote: > > >On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 7:41:34 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote: > >> ST makes a nice little LDO, super-low dropout with an aux Vbias > >> supply. Saves me from rolling my own with an opamp and a mosfet. > >> > >> It's an ST1L08. > >> > >> So why is the data sheet file en.DM00123507.pdf ? > > > >Who cares, it's a crappy regulator. And the lying bastards with their fake dropout specs while conveniently omitting the fact that Vbias must be greater than Vout + 1.5V. > > Lying? It's all over the data sheet. It's how they get the millivolts > of dropout. I do that when I make my own super-LDOs, power an opamp > from some higher voltage and over-drive an nfet follower down to > milliohms of Rds-on. > > >The GND current at no load of 35uA, sucks , as does that showy 80dB PSRR at 100 Hz. Battery operation usually doesn't care a whole lot about PSRR. And the thermal impedance specs are so bad, you just try getting 800mA out of it with any kind voltage headroom without using a liquid nitrogen drip. > > > > I'm dropping a switched 1.8 to 1.5. That's 0.3 volts. Times 800 mA > would be 0.24 watts dissipated. Actually, I don't need that much > current to run a couple DRAM chips. > > You sure are in a bad mood lately.
He's gradually working out that he's in the one country where Covid-19 is eventually going to have a good chance at killing him, and that he's in the age group where it's quite likely to succeed. He can do all the wishful thinking he likes but the realisation that that's what's going to happen is gradually creeping up on him, and he doesn't like it at all. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
John Larkin wrote:
> > ST makes a nice little LDO, super-low dropout with an aux Vbias > supply. Saves me from rolling my own with an opamp and a mosfet. > > It's an ST1L08. > > So why is the data sheet file en.DM00123507.pdf ? >
ST is not the only one with nutty data sheet names; they abound and rebound thru one's skull with free abandon. The clangs created are tuned for maximum confuddleifcation.