Forums

OT: Windows 7 seems to have recently killed my ethernet links

Started by Bill Sloman May 2, 2020
I used to connect my printer to my computer over an Ethernet link, but some months ago that stopped working. I replaced the Ethernet cable with a USB cable plugged into the printer's USB port and didn't think much about it.

But my wife's computer used to be linked up to our broad-band link (now fibre to the building) by an ethernet link over the mains wiring, and that stopped working a the much the same time. My lap-top (which I don't use very often) exploited the same link, and that stopped working too.

A google search threw up enough responses to make it clear that other people have had much the same problem. Microsoft has proposed some solutions that ought to work, but I've tried all of them and none of them do.

Has anybody run into the problem, and found a solution that works?

Our resident conspiracy theory nuts will invent a theory about Microsoft conspiring with the US spooks to force people onto WiFi links which are easier to snoop than Ethernet connections, but I'm happy to assume that Microsoft has just done something stupid.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in

> But my wife's computer used to be linked up to our broad-band link > (now fibre to the building) by an ethernet link over the mains > wiring, and that stopped working a the much the same time. My > lap-top (which I don't use very often) exploited the same link, > and that stopped working too. >
Now that the printer is not "a network device", and is directly connected to a 'user PC', it is not longer visible from the net, you need to "share it" as a device on the PC it is connected to. That PC also has to be on and booted into Windows. I am not sure how easy it is to share it from within a Linix session.
On Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 10:34:22 PM UTC+10, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in > news:d1598c4d-069a-4220-aa5c-0320942a17a7@googlegroups.com: > > > But my wife's computer used to be linked up to our broad-band link > > (now fibre to the building) by an ethernet link over the mains > > wiring, and that stopped working a the much the same time. My > > lap-top (which I don't use very often) exploited the same link, > > and that stopped working too. > > > > Now that the printer is not "a network device", and is directly > connected to a 'user PC', it is not longer visible from the net, you > need to "share it" as a device on the PC it is connected to.
The printer was never shared. I just happened to have an Ethernet cable handy when it was delivered. There was never any esoteric problem with the link - it just stopped being accessible over that Ethernet cable.
> That PC also has to be on and booted into Windows. I am not sure how > easy it is to share it from within a Linux session.
I never bothered. My wife has her own printer in her study, and if she wants me to print something in colour she e-mails the document to me for me to print it. I do have Linux on my computer- SuSE - but I haven't used it recently. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
On Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 3:40:07 AM UTC-4, Bill Sloman wrote:
> I used to connect my printer to my computer over an Ethernet link, but some months ago that stopped working. I replaced the Ethernet cable with a USB cable plugged into the printer's USB port and didn't think much about it. > > But my wife's computer used to be linked up to our broad-band link (now fibre to the building) by an ethernet link over the mains wiring, and that stopped working a the much the same time. My lap-top (which I don't use very often) exploited the same link, and that stopped working too. > > A google search threw up enough responses to make it clear that other people have had much the same problem. Microsoft has proposed some solutions that ought to work, but I've tried all of them and none of them do. > > Has anybody run into the problem, and found a solution that works? > > Our resident conspiracy theory nuts will invent a theory about Microsoft conspiring with the US spooks to force people onto WiFi links which are easier to snoop than Ethernet connections, but I'm happy to assume that Microsoft has just done something stupid.
I've had network LASER printers change their IP address after multiple power failures. Belarc Advisor is freeware hat not only inventories the hardware and installed software, it maps all of your network connections. If it doesn't find your printer, the Ethernet port on your router is bad, or the port on the printer has died. Unplug the USB cable before running Belarc Advisor, the printer's firmware will only recognize one port at a time. Power down the printer and restart it before testing, and after removing the USB cable. If the IP address doesn't match the information for your printer, edit it to match the current address that your computer has assigned to it, to the new address. Belarc Advisor will display the network name, or the IP address of everything it finds on your network. I have used it for over a decade to have a baseline on every computer that I repaired or built. https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor
On Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 12:40:07 AM UTC-7, Bill Sloman wrote:
> I used to connect my printer to my computer over an Ethernet link, but some months ago that stopped working. I replaced the Ethernet cable with a USB cable plugged into the printer's USB port and didn't think much about it. > > But my wife's computer used to be linked up to our broad-band link (now fibre to the building) by an ethernet link over the mains wiring, and that stopped working a the much the same time.
Possibly you have a network switch or router, that has filled up a table; power-cycle (reboot) any such devices, they will rebuild their tables. If that doesn't do it, maybe (like happened here) it has a more pedestrian problem (flaky power brick?). I have a network bridge that needs such power-cycling every few months. On my to-do list: give it a switched power socket with an acessible ON/OFF toggle.

> On Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 10:34:22 PM UTC+10, > DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: >> Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in >> news:d1598c4d-069a-4220-aa5c-0320942a17a7@googlegroups.com: >> >> > But my wife's computer used to be linked up to our broad-band >> > link (now fibre to the building) by an ethernet link over the >> > mains wiring, and that stopped working a the much the same >> > time. My lap-top (which I don't use very often) exploited the >> > same link, and that stopped working too. >> > >> >> Now that the printer is not "a network device", and is directly >> connected to a 'user PC', it is not longer visible from the net, >> you need to "share it" as a device on the PC it is connected to. > > The printer was never shared.
You missed the point. Now it has to be IF you want to hit it from other 'terminal locations' on your network.
> I just happened to have an Ethernet > cable handy when it was delivered.
OK THAT made it a network printer, as in connected to a network and access managed ON the printer itself and accessible by all other elements on the network.
> There was never any esoteric > problem with the link - it just stopped being accessible over that > Ethernet cable.
You simply needed to look at your router's management setup and 'find it' again. OR replace the cable, but you think it was not a hardware issue. If it was not hdw, then it is network, and that router is managed via a PC or web page, but usually only for locally connected terminals. If found, it should be able to be seen by any netwrok user. So IF the router DOES have it setup, the error is on the network setup of the device trying to access it, otherwise it IS hardware based. However, you said you began to connect to it from your PC where you have plugged it in VIA USB port on that PC. THIS is the point in which it DOES require that you set it up a shared devcie since it is now a device on your machine, and your machine is secure from others accessing it unless you say they can. So again... YES, you DO need to share it in the USB attached configuration.
>> That PC also has to be on and booted into Windows. I am not sure >> how easy it is to share it from within a Linux session. > > I never bothered. My wife has her own printer in her study,
Yet you come here pissing and moaning that it is her computer that van now no longer access it, yet do not have the common sense to understand the difference between a network atached printer, which is seen by all on the network, and a NON-network attached, locally attached printer ona a machine which you just acknowledged is not a sharing machine... yet. Did the light bulb turn on yet?
> and > if she wants me to print something in colour she e-mails the > document to me for me to print it.
Again, why the whimper then?
> > I do have Linux on my computer- SuSE - but I haven't used it > recently. >
I realize now that I should have left that not really relavent comment out of the assistance. The fact remains that a locally attached peripheral is rarely ever an also usable device by other elements on a network. Both that machine's OS and the device have to be configured to accept shared access. It makes your machine a print server. All basic stuff.
On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 4:58:47 AM UTC+10, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in > news:adb989e4-43d3-41c8-a294-f46f597ac5af@googlegroups.com: > > > On Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 10:34:22 PM UTC+10, > > DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > >> Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in > >> news:d1598c4d-069a-4220-aa5c-0320942a17a7@googlegroups.com: > >> > >> > But my wife's computer used to be linked up to our broad-band > >> > link (now fibre to the building) by an ethernet link over the > >> > mains wiring, and that stopped working a the much the same > >> > time. My lap-top (which I don't use very often) exploited the > >> > same link, and that stopped working too. > >> > > >> > >> Now that the printer is not "a network device", and is directly > >> connected to a 'user PC', it is not longer visible from the net, > >> you need to "share it" as a device on the PC it is connected to. > > > > The printer was never shared. > > You missed the point. Now it has to be IF you want to hit it from > other 'terminal locations' on your network. > > > I just happened to have an Ethernet > > cable handy when it was delivered. > > OK THAT made it a network printer, as in connected to a network and > access managed ON the printer itself and accessible by all other > elements on the network. > > > There was never any esoteric > > problem with the link - it just stopped being accessible over that > > Ethernet cable. > > You simply needed to look at your router's management setup and > 'find it' again. OR replace the cable, but you think it was not a > hardware issue. If it was not hdw, then it is network, and that > router is managed via a PC or web page, but usually only for locally > connected terminals. If found, it should be able to be seen by any > network user. So IF the router DOES have it setup, the error is on > the network setup of the device trying to access it, otherwise it IS > hardware based. > > However, you said you began to connect to it from your PC where you > have plugged it in VIA USB port on that PC. > > THIS is the point in which it DOES require that you set it up a > shared devcie since it is now a device on your machine, and your > machine is secure from others accessing it unless you say they can. > > So again... YES, you DO need to share it in the USB attached > configuration.
I don't. It was never shared.
> >> That PC also has to be on and booted into Windows. I am not sure > >> how easy it is to share it from within a Linux session. > > > > I never bothered. My wife has her own printer in her study, > > Yet you come here pissing and moaning that it is her computer that > can now no longer access it, yet do not have the common sense to > understand the difference between a network attached printer, which is > seen by all on the network, and a NON-network attached, locally > attached printer ona a machine which you just acknowledged is not a > sharing machine... yet.
You got that wrong. The point was never her access to the printer. The point was that I had set up a local area connection to our broad-band modem, from her computer and my laptop, and both and worked for years, but bot stopped working recently, and the computers dropped back to using the less satisfactory WiFi link. The fact that my Ethernet link to my printer stopped working at much the same time struck me as indicating a Microsoft generated problem.
> Did the light bulb turn on yet?
Yours clearly hasn't.
> > and if she wants me to print something in colour she e-mails the > > document to me for me to print it. > > Again, why the whimper then?
Because we are stuck with using the WiFi link to access the internet, and we can see up to a dozen other WiFi links from adjacent flats (at the right time of day) and they all interfere with our WiFi link.
> > I do have Linux on my computer- SuSE - but I haven't used it > > recently. > > > I realize now that I should have left that not really relevant > comment out of the assistance. > > The fact remains that a locally attached peripheral is rarely ever > an also usable device by other elements on a network. Both that > machine's OS and the device have to be configured to accept shared > access. It makes your machine a print server. > > All basic stuff.
Sure. And my wife's computer belongs to her employer and is configured by their computer manager. When I tried to include my lap top in our homegroup I got told to ask her for the password - which she doesn't know, and didn't even know existed. This seems to matter for the local area network link, but not for the WiFi link, which is a bit silly. Windows network mapping on the WiFi link shows up everything (including the router modem), but it doesn't work on the local area connection. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
On Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 3:40:07 AM UTC-4, Bill Sloman wrote:
I don't know if it's related, but I've had problems with my NAS server when the ISP provider changes out the modem.

Did the problem start with the "fiber to the building" transition, or do you think they're unrelated?

Otherwise, all I can offer is that we have an HP All-in-one printer that (for whatever reason) likes to change its fixed IP address from time to time.  It often requires wireless-only end users to remove and reinstall the printer from the network.  Very frustrating.

On the LAN side, we can lock that printer down by MAC address, and so it doesn't suffer the same problems from those who have a wired-LAN connection to our network.
Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in

> I used to connect my printer to my computer over an Ethernet link, > but some months ago that stopped working. I replaced the Ethernet > cable with a USB cable plugged into the printer's USB port and > didn't think much about it. > > But my wife's computer used to be linked up to our broad-band link > (now fibre to the building) by an ethernet link over the mains > wiring, and that stopped working a the much the same time. My > lap-top (which I don't use very often) exploited the same link, > and that stopped working too. > > A google search threw up enough responses to make it clear that > other people have had much the same problem. Microsoft has > proposed some solutions that ought to work, but I've tried all of > them and none of them do. > > Has anybody run into the problem, and found a solution that works? > > Our resident conspiracy theory nuts will invent a theory about > Microsoft conspiring with the US spooks to force people onto WiFi > links which are easier to snoop than Ethernet connections, but I'm > happy to assume that Microsoft has just done something stupid. >
In my first response, I only read a bit in and was responding to you regarding the first device you mentioned. Had I read further, I would have told you it was your router, which I assure you it is. You then went on to spout some shit about Microsoft, but it has nothing to do with MS either. MS has nothing to do with a network attached and accessed printer, when it is also coupled with other 'clients' on the network having access problems then it is not a Windows or MS problem.
On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 1:30:01 PM UTC+10, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote in > news:d1598c4d-069a-4220-aa5c-0320942a17a7@googlegroups.com: > > > I used to connect my printer to my computer over an Ethernet link, > > but some months ago that stopped working. I replaced the Ethernet > > cable with a USB cable plugged into the printer's USB port and > > didn't think much about it. > > > > But my wife's computer used to be linked up to our broad-band link > > (now fibre to the building) by an ethernet link over the mains > > wiring, and that stopped working a the much the same time. My > > lap-top (which I don't use very often) exploited the same link, > > and that stopped working too. > > > > A google search threw up enough responses to make it clear that > > other people have had much the same problem. Microsoft has > > proposed some solutions that ought to work, but I've tried all of > > them and none of them do. > > > > Has anybody run into the problem, and found a solution that works? > > > > Our resident conspiracy theory nuts will invent a theory about > > Microsoft conspiring with the US spooks to force people onto WiFi > > links which are easier to snoop than Ethernet connections, but I'm > > happy to assume that Microsoft has just done something stupid. > > > > In my first response, I only read a bit in and was responding to > you regarding the first device you mentioned. > > Had I read further, I would have told you it was your router, which > I assure you it is. > > You then went on to spout some shit about Microsoft, but it has > nothing to do with MS either. > > MS has nothing to do with a network attached and accessed printer, > when it is also coupled with other 'clients' on the network having > access problems then it is not a Windows or MS problem.
The local area links worked fine for years. Nothing has changed in the systems involved except the regular Windows up-dates. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney