Forums

Hot air soldering station recommendation

Started by Klaus Kragelund January 28, 2020
Hi

I am trying to get my lab up to speed, so now I need a hot air soldering station

Seen this one:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33034086674.html?pid=808_0000_0131&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.33034086674&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=822amp-QKibdmRAN4hCllCLcM0CAA1580243088270&browser_id=b1e4e133b2d5400298ff0d819e9ba525&is_c=Y&gclid=null

Cheap, but any good?

Other recommendation that does not blow the bank?

Regards

Klaus
On Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 4:34:54 PM UTC-5, Klaus Kragelund wrote:
> Hi > > I am trying to get my lab up to speed, so now I need a hot air soldering station > > Seen this one: > > https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33034086674.html?pid=808_0000_0131&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.33034086674&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=822amp-QKibdmRAN4hCllCLcM0CAA1580243088270&browser_id=b1e4e133b2d5400298ff0d819e9ba525&is_c=Y&gclid=null > > Cheap, but any good? > > Other recommendation that does not blow the bank?
Yes - I have a recommendation. When it arrives, be sure to run it long enough to kill all the China Coronavirus it will ship with, and then burn all the packaging. :)
On 1/28/2020 5:40 PM, mpm wrote:
>> Other recommendation that does not blow the bank? > > Yes - I have a recommendation. > > When it arrives, be sure to run it long enough to kill all the China > Coronavirus it will ship with, and then burn all the packaging. :)
Too funny! Unfortunately, I have friends "vacationing" there, presently. I have NO plans on "catching up" with them for a month or two after they've proven themselves "free of any nasties"! Worrying about The Flu is one thing... but THAT has got to be a frigging nightmare!!
Don Y wrote:
> On 1/28/2020 5:40 PM, mpm wrote: >>> Other recommendation that does not blow the bank? >> >> Yes - I have a recommendation. >> >> When it arrives, be sure to run it long enough to kill all the China >> Coronavirus it will ship with, and then burn all the packaging. :) > > Too funny! > > Unfortunately, I have friends "vacationing" there, presently. I have > NO plans on "catching up" with them for a month or two after they've > proven themselves "free of any nasties"! > > Worrying about The Flu is one thing... but THAT has got to be > a frigging nightmare!!
Piffle! Read about diseases imported into the Americas by the Spanish conquistadores. Those killed over 90% of the native population. In just a few decades they were virtually gone. _That_ is scary. Jeroen Belleman
Bought this one, good reviews for chinese crap:

#Aliexpress US $42.00  25%OFF | Black Eruntop 8586D+ Double Digital Display  Electric Soldering Irons +Hot Air Gun Better SMD Rework Station Upgraded 8586
https://a.aliexpress.com/_sA9hKL
On 1/29/2020 1:39 AM, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
> Don Y wrote: >> On 1/28/2020 5:40 PM, mpm wrote: >>>> Other recommendation that does not blow the bank? >>> >>> Yes - I have a recommendation. >>> >>> When it arrives, be sure to run it long enough to kill all the China >>> Coronavirus it will ship with, and then burn all the packaging. :) >> >> Too funny! >> >> Unfortunately, I have friends "vacationing" there, presently. I have >> NO plans on "catching up" with them for a month or two after they've >> proven themselves "free of any nasties"! >> >> Worrying about The Flu is one thing... but THAT has got to be >> a frigging nightmare!! > > Piffle! Read about diseases imported into the Americas by the > Spanish conquistadores. Those killed over 90% of the native > population. In just a few decades they were virtually gone. > _That_ is scary.
The difference, here, is *I* don't want to be one of those "native Americans"! :>
On 28/01/2020 21:34, Klaus Kragelund wrote:
> Hi > > I am trying to get my lab up to speed, so now I need a hot air soldering station > > Seen this one: > > https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33034086674.html?pid=808_0000_0131&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.33034086674&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=822amp-QKibdmRAN4hCllCLcM0CAA1580243088270&browser_id=b1e4e133b2d5400298ff0d819e9ba525&is_c=Y&gclid=null > > Cheap, but any good? > > Other recommendation that does not blow the bank? > > Regards > > Klaus
IME the hot air part of these cheap ones works well, but the soldering iron is poor. I have similar but also a decent separate iron. Cheers -- Clive
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 9:26:43 AM UTC-7, Clive Arthur wrote:
> On 28/01/2020 21:34, Klaus Kragelund wrote: > > Hi > > > > I am trying to get my lab up to speed, so now I need a hot air soldering station > > > > Seen this one: > > > > https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33034086674.html?pid=808_0000_0131&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.33034086674&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=822amp-QKibdmRAN4hCllCLcM0CAA1580243088270&browser_id=b1e4e133b2d5400298ff0d819e9ba525&is_c=Y&gclid=null > > > > Cheap, but any good? > > > > Other recommendation that does not blow the bank? > > > > Regards > > > > Klaus > > IME the hot air part of these cheap ones works well, but the soldering > iron is poor. I have similar but also a decent separate iron. > > Cheers > -- > Clive
My experience is the same as Clive's. The hot air will be useful, you will hate the iron.
klaus.kragelund@gmail.com wrote:

> Bought this one, good reviews for chinese crap:
Oftentimes the Chinese crap has good reviews because the unscrupulous Chinese paid for the good reviews.
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 5:26:43 PM UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
> On 28/01/2020 21:34, Klaus Kragelund wrote: > > Hi > > > > I am trying to get my lab up to speed, so now I need a hot air soldering station > > > > Seen this one: > > > > https://m.aliexpress.com/item/33034086674.html?pid=808_0000_0131&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.33034086674&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=822amp-QKibdmRAN4hCllCLcM0CAA1580243088270&browser_id=b1e4e133b2d5400298ff0d819e9ba525&is_c=Y&gclid=null > > > > Cheap, but any good? > > > > Other recommendation that does not blow the bank? > > > > Regards > > > > Klaus > > IME the hot air part of these cheap ones works well, but the soldering > iron is poor. I have similar but also a decent separate iron. >
Yes, I saw that mention in a review (funny, most of the reviews are russian, go figure) I have 3 weller irons, so I only need the hot air one Cheers Klaus