Forums

PC reliability

Started by legg January 13, 2020
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> Robert Baer <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in > news:p%cUF.73691$Gh7.33798@fx45.iad: > >> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: >>> Michael Terrell <terrell.michael.a@gmail.com> wrote in >>> news:348e9a9b-2b25-4846-8b23-9ecfdc8965ca@googlegroups.com: >>> >>>> Microsoft rebooted my Win 7 Pro, 64 bit stem on the 14th to let >>>> me know that it was out of support. It has been problem free >>>> for several years. It has crashed three times in two days. Once >>>> it locked up. the other two were blue screens. >>>> >>> >>> Win 7 anything is vulnerable. Maybe not MS that has hacked >>> you. I >>> would not get online with anything these days other than Linux or >>> Win 10 fully updated on both. Or a smartphone, of course. >>> >> Well, even a Samsung Galaxy J2 balked at entry of password into >> a >> Godaddy account. >> So, "of course" is incorrect at best. >> > So, you think your phone got hacked? > > I think you need to reread what was written. > > Otherwise, maybe your phone kept you from being hacked when you > tried to access a shit site. Godaddy to me has alway been a rip off. > We should be able to get domain names without paying some jackass for > it. Doesn't matter how large they have grown. There are a lot of > folks willing to accept being screwed. >
Tell us of ANY free source for domain name registration......
Robert Baer <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in news:fQLVF.52420
$Mc.13345@fx35.iad:

> Tell us of ANY free source for domain name registration...... >
My point exactly. It should never have been this way and we should never have accepted it as such, and should also NOT continue to accept it. It is like y'all like getting screwed around. Half of you idiots put an idiot in office just so you could get further screwed around. Good job! NOT!!!
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> Robert Baer <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in news:fQLVF.52420 > $Mc.13345@fx35.iad: > >> Tell us of ANY free source for domain name registration...... >> > > My point exactly. It should never have been this way and we should > never have accepted it as such, and should also NOT continue to accept > it. > > It is like y'all like getting screwed around. Half of you idiots put > an idiot in office just so you could get further screwed around. > > Good job! NOT!!! >
Idiot! TINSTAFFL! Ask for a free house, or a free car, or...and a free domain name registration. NOT going to happen.
On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 6:25:46 PM UTC+11, Robert Baer wrote:
> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: > > Robert Baer <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in news:fQLVF.52420 > > $Mc.13345@fx35.iad: > > > >> Tell us of ANY free source for domain name registration...... > >> > > > > My point exactly. It should never have been this way and we should > > never have accepted it as such, and should also NOT continue to accept > > it. > > > > It is like y'all like getting screwed around. Half of you idiots put > > an idiot in office just so you could get further screwed around. > > > > Good job! NOT!!! > > > Idiot! > TINSTAFL! > Ask for a free house, or a free car, or...and a free domain name > registration. > NOT going to happen.
Linux doesn't exist? The idiot here is Robert Baer. There may be no such thing as a free lunch, but the free market isn't the only way of distributing goods and services, and for some goods and services it's not a particularly satisfactory mechanism. The US health care system does come to mind. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 3:56:01 AM UTC-8, Bill Sloman wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 6:25:46 PM UTC+11, Robert Baer wrote:
> > TINSTAFL! > > Ask for a free house, or a free car, or...and a free domain name > > registration. > > NOT going to happen. > > Linux doesn't exist? > > The idiot here is Robert Baer. There may be no such thing as a free lunch, but the free market isn't the only way of distributing goods and services...
Yes, obviously another example is birth registration; your personal name and details of birth are registered for life, without any payment from the individual, because... newborns aren't ready to pay. Free-to-the-user is the only rule that works. Domain names, though, are like a trademark, are chosen by someone who CAN pay. Names could be bought wholesale by speculators if the price tag were too low. Have been bought thus, in fact. Alas, if you don't have a personal domain name, you also don't have a personal e-mail address, which is rather inconvenient. Losing a personal e-mail address ought not heppen because of failure to pay a yearly fee that might be based on all-the-market-will-bear. Nonprofit registrars are imperfect, but not unworkable.
On 23/1/20 4:43 am, whit3rd wrote:
> Alas, if you don't have a personal domain name, you also don't have a personal e-mail address, > which is rather inconvenient. Losing a personal e-mail address ought not heppen because of > failure to pay a yearly fee that might be based on all-the-market-will-bear. Nonprofit > registrars are imperfect, but not unworkable.
Unfortunately even if you have a personal domain, you need to pay additional fees to get the email backbone to accept messages you send. Such is the strength of anti-spam/anti-relay technology that this is a significant barrier (cost) that is met by the major carriers (Google, FastMail and a number of others). Gone are the days where any old server just just make outbound SMTP requests and send email with any confidence that the email will be accepted and forwarded by the target or the relay servers. :( CH
Bill Sloman wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 6:25:46 PM UTC+11, Robert Baer wrote: >> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: >>> Robert Baer <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in news:fQLVF.52420 >>> $Mc.13345@fx35.iad: >>> >>>> Tell us of ANY free source for domain name registration...... >>>> >>> >>> My point exactly. It should never have been this way and we should >>> never have accepted it as such, and should also NOT continue to accept >>> it. >>> >>> It is like y'all like getting screwed around. Half of you idiots put >>> an idiot in office just so you could get further screwed around. >>> >>> Good job! NOT!!! >>> >> Idiot! >> TINSTAFL! >> Ask for a free house, or a free car, or...and a free domain name >> registration. >> NOT going to happen. > > Linux doesn't exist? > > The idiot here is Robert Baer. There may be no such thing as a free lunch, but the free market isn't the only way of distributing goods and services, and for some goods and services it's not a particularly satisfactory mechanism. > > The US health care system does come to mind. >
In the first place, i did not even hint about Linux, which is not exactly free. The US health care system is expensive: almost everyone pays for it; taxes at minimum.
On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 2:57:57 PM UTC+11, Robert Baer wrote:
> Bill Sloman wrote: > > On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 6:25:46 PM UTC+11, Robert Baer wrote: > >> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: > >>> Robert Baer <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in news:fQLVF.52420 > >>> $Mc.13345@fx35.iad: > >>> > >>>> Tell us of ANY free source for domain name registration...... > >>>> > >>> > >>> My point exactly. It should never have been this way and we should > >>> never have accepted it as such, and should also NOT continue to accept > >>> it. > >>> > >>> It is like y'all like getting screwed around. Half of you idiots put > >>> an idiot in office just so you could get further screwed around. > >>> > >>> Good job! NOT!!! > >>> > >> Idiot! > >> TINSTAFL! > >> Ask for a free house, or a free car, or...and a free domain name > >> registration. > >> NOT going to happen. > > > > Linux doesn't exist? > > > > The idiot here is Robert Baer. There may be no such thing as a free lunch, but the free market isn't the only way of distributing goods and services, and for some goods and services it's not a particularly satisfactory mechanism. > > > > The US health care system does come to mind. > > > In the first place, i did not even hint about Linux, which is not > exactly free.
You don't have to pay to download Linux software. The way it gets paid for is interesting and complicated, but from the user point of view it is a "free lunch".
Costs per head half-again higher than the most expensive health care systems in other countries, health outcomes across the population as a whole distinctly poorer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_Level_(book) talks about the way that less rich people in more unequal societies live shorter lives than their rich counterparts - less equal countries have steeper social gradients. It also goes into the fact that even the rich in the US don't live as long as even the poor in more equal countries. Too much free market in your health system impairs its performance for everybody, but more so for the poor. Since the main point of a national health system is to protect the population as a whole from epidemics (though this isn't what keeps them busy for most of the time) the US system is particularly unsatisfactory. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
On 01/22/2020 07:57 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
>> > In the first place, i did not even hint about Linux, which is not > exactly free.
What do think is inexact about it? It feels exactly free, along with the boatload of software that inevitably comes along with it. Your SeaMonster internet suite is free. A year ago I was getting free coffee at an evacuation center while a wildfire was burning thru the area. The free section of craigslist has some numbingly nice stuff. Right now I'm sitting at a free desk.
Sea wrote:
> On 01/22/2020 07:57 PM, Robert Baer wrote: >>> >> &nbsp;&nbsp; In the first place, i did not even hint about Linux, which is not >> exactly free. > > What do think is inexact about it? It feels exactly free, along with the > boatload of software that inevitably comes along with it. Your > SeaMonster internet suite is free. A year ago I was getting free coffee > at an evacuation center while a wildfire was burning thru the area. The > free section of craigslist has some numbingly nice stuff. Right now I'm > sitting at a free desk.
Absolutely NONE of what you mentioned is free. The Linux OS was not free nor the software you mentioned. At minimum, you SPENT time and energy for research (distro? version? etc?), ditto to get (download at minimum) the files; then time and energy to install. The SeaMonkey browser may be worse, in that on occasion, one must check for upgrades and fiddle with that. And, that cup of coffee cost time and money: the beans had to be transported from South America, processed, ground, packaged, cooked/processed into the water (also not free), poured into the (not free) cup and was handed to you. Craig's list is not free; costs you time and indirectly money to sign up for it as well as use it. Finally, that desk you rave about so much costs the energy to fell the trees, as well as the engineering time to design the desk, the labor to cut the wood into appropriate shapes, assemble; then transport to where it was placed. NOT a GD thing you mentioned was free - not even your mad raving.