Forums

lithium battery fun?

Started by Unknown January 8, 2020
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-07/fire-at-norway-airport-destroys-hundreds-of-cars-grounds-planes



-- 

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics 

On 08/01/2020 15:12, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-07/fire-at-norway-airport-destroys-hundreds-of-cars-grounds-planes > > >
Yawn for every single BEV fire there are thousands of gasoline cars catching fire. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/vauxhall-recalls-more-than-220000-zafira-cars-after-reports-of-dashboard-fires-a6723391.html https://abc7chicago.com/tag/car-fire/ https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/narrow-escape-family-four-their-bmw-car-catches-fire-bengaluru-113710 https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/04/more-than-100-firefighters-called-to-massive-blaze-at-car-dealership-8103423/ https://www.necn.com/news/national-international/car-fire-sparks-massive-building-fire-in-somerville_necn/2069914/ etc etc etc
onsdag den 8. januar 2020 kl. 16.12.51 UTC+1 skrev jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com:
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-07/fire-at-norway-airport-destroys-hundreds-of-cars-grounds-planes >
nope, police confirmed that the fire started with an old diesel car
On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 8:39:43 AM UTC-7, Andy Bennet wrote:
> On 08/01/2020 15:12, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: > > > > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-07/fire-at-norway-airport-destroys-hundreds-of-cars-grounds-planes > > > > > > > Yawn > > for every single BEV fire there are thousands of gasoline cars catching > fire. > > https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/vauxhall-recalls-more-than-220000-zafira-cars-after-reports-of-dashboard-fires-a6723391.html > > https://abc7chicago.com/tag/car-fire/ > > https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/narrow-escape-family-four-their-bmw-car-catches-fire-bengaluru-113710 > > https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/04/more-than-100-firefighters-called-to-massive-blaze-at-car-dealership-8103423/ > > https://www.necn.com/news/national-international/car-fire-sparks-massive-building-fire-in-somerville_necn/2069914/ > > etc etc etc
...And for every single EV there are tens of thousands of gasoline vehicles. Now, being engineers, how should we actually approach this analysis?
On 1/8/2020 9:50 AM, DemonicTubes wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 8:39:43 AM UTC-7, Andy Bennet wrote: >> On 08/01/2020 15:12, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote: >>> >>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-07/fire-at-norway-airport-destroys-hundreds-of-cars-grounds-planes >>> >>> >>> >> Yawn >> >> for every single BEV fire there are thousands of gasoline cars catching >> fire. >> >> https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/vauxhall-recalls-more-than-220000-zafira-cars-after-reports-of-dashboard-fires-a6723391.html >> >> https://abc7chicago.com/tag/car-fire/ >> >> https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/narrow-escape-family-four-their-bmw-car-catches-fire-bengaluru-113710 >> >> https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/04/more-than-100-firefighters-called-to-massive-blaze-at-car-dealership-8103423/ >> >> https://www.necn.com/news/national-international/car-fire-sparks-massive-building-fire-in-somerville_necn/2069914/ >> >> etc etc etc > > ...And for every single EV there are tens of thousands of gasoline vehicles. Now, being engineers, how should we actually approach this analysis? >
+1
On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 10:49:23 AM UTC-5, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> onsdag den 8. januar 2020 kl. 16.12.51 UTC+1 skrev jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com: > > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-07/fire-at-norway-airport-destroys-hundreds-of-cars-grounds-planes > > > > nope, police confirmed that the fire started with an old diesel car
There you go again with your mindless linking to factoid articles without regard to relevance. Did it occur to you the EVs may have exacerbated the fire beyond control when they caught fire??? The heat was so intense there was partial collapse of the structure in numerous areas. That makes it kind of difficult to get the fire under control. And the fact that plain water was ineffective in fire suppression sort of gives away the fact that lots of batteries were burning. And the very limited floor to ceiling clearance with ample avenues for air jet formation to feed the fire, turned the place into a rocket stove.
On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 10:12:51 AM UTC-5, jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-07/fire-at-norway-airport-destroys-hundreds-of-cars-grounds-planes
Once again the Lark troll posts his crap without even looking for real information... https://www.thelocal.no/20200108/norway-airport-flights-held-as-hundreds-of-cars-burn-in-fire "The fire was initially reported at 3:33pm on Tuesday. The initial alert was a report of an electric car having caught fire, but police later confirmed to NRK that the fire started in a 2005 model diesel car." If after a hundred years of development we still can't prevent petroleum fueled cars from causing such massive fires, perhaps we need to find an alternative? -- Rick C. - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 12:00:49 PM UTC-5, bloggs.fre...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 10:49:23 AM UTC-5, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote: > > onsdag den 8. januar 2020 kl. 16.12.51 UTC+1 skrev jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com: > > > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-07/fire-at-norway-airport-destroys-hundreds-of-cars-grounds-planes > > > > > > > nope, police confirmed that the fire started with an old diesel car > > There you go again with your mindless linking to factoid articles without regard to relevance. Did it occur to you the EVs may have exacerbated the fire beyond control when they caught fire??? The heat was so intense there was partial collapse of the structure in numerous areas. That makes it kind of difficult to get the fire under control. And the fact that plain water was ineffective in fire suppression sort of gives away the fact that lots of batteries were burning. And the very limited floor to ceiling clearance with ample avenues for air jet formation to feed the fire, turned the place into a rocket stove.
I expect the Lark troll to post garbage without thinking. You seem to actually give thought, just not very good thought. Everything you posted here was just made up crap. I guess you have some sort of irrational bias towards EVs? -- Rick C. + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging + Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
On 08/01/20 15:12, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-07/fire-at-norway-airport-destroys-hundreds-of-cars-grounds-planes
Too many people on this forum see something and jump to a conclusion that fits in with their confirmatory bias. I'm sure there will be quite a few such posts in this thread.
On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 12:17:31 PM UTC-5, Rick C wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 12:00:49 PM UTC-5, bloggs.fre...@gmail.com wrote: > > On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 10:49:23 AM UTC-5, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote: > > > onsdag den 8. januar 2020 kl. 16.12.51 UTC+1 skrev jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com: > > > > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-07/fire-at-norway-airport-destroys-hundreds-of-cars-grounds-planes > > > > > > > > > > nope, police confirmed that the fire started with an old diesel car > > > > There you go again with your mindless linking to factoid articles without regard to relevance. Did it occur to you the EVs may have exacerbated the fire beyond control when they caught fire??? The heat was so intense there was partial collapse of the structure in numerous areas. That makes it kind of difficult to get the fire under control. And the fact that plain water was ineffective in fire suppression sort of gives away the fact that lots of batteries were burning. And the very limited floor to ceiling clearance with ample avenues for air jet formation to feed the fire, turned the place into a rocket stove. > > I expect the Lark troll to post garbage without thinking. You seem to actually give thought, just not very good thought. Everything you posted here was just made up crap. I guess you have some sort of irrational bias towards EVs? > > -- Being concerned about Lithium batteries is not irrational They are banned on aircraft flights for a reason. If I remember correctly lithium will burn if you get it wet.
Dan
> > Rick C. > > + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging > + Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209