Forums

Weird LLC current limiter

Started by Piotr Wyderski November 18, 2019
I have just found this pretty bizarre idea:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.665.5375&rep=rep1&type=pdf

It uses a transformer to limit the voltage swing at the resonant
capacitor. Great, but why wouldn't they use a bidirectional TVS for the
same purpose? That wouldn't result in a paper, eh, would it?

	Best regards, Piotr
Well, a TVS would waste a fuckton of power.

Transformer sucks, way too much added componentry.  Also introduces another
LC resonance.  Can be made low (large magnetizing inductance) but won't go
away.

How about a charge pump (e.g., half wave doubler) into DC link?  Can work
with the half bridge cap divider too.

Seven Transistor Labs, LLC

"Piotr Wyderski" <peter.pan@neverland.mil> wrote in message
>I have just found this pretty bizarre idea: > > http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.665.5375&rep=rep1&type=pdf > > It uses a transformer to limit the voltage swing at the resonant > capacitor. Great, but why wouldn't they use a bidirectional TVS for the > same purpose? That wouldn't result in a paper, eh, would it? > > Best regards, Piotr
>I have just found this pretty bizarre idea: > >http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.665.5375&rep=rep1&type=pdf > >It uses a transformer to limit the voltage swing at the resonant >capacitor. Great, but why wouldn't they use a bidirectional TVS for the >same purpose? That wouldn't result in a paper, eh, would it? > > Best regards, Piotr
Also I think this idea is not quite new, did I not see 50 Hz resonant circuit with similar stabilization method in the sixties? As to papers, those come on a roll here. But you gotta give it to them, it did not say: "More funding for this would bring the kwantuum computah much closer'.
Jan Panteltje wrote...
> >> I have just found this pretty bizarre idea: >> >>http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.665.5375&rep=rep1&type=pdf >> >> It uses a transformer to limit the voltage swing at the resonant >> capacitor. Great, but why wouldn't they use a bidirectional TVS > for the same purpose? That wouldn't result in a paper, eh, would it? > > As to papers, those come on a roll here.
Those authors have published reams of related papers, exploring the entire space as it occurs to them and they take the time. I have saved quite a few of them, some are quite useful. -- Thanks, - Win