OT?

Started by gray_wolf October 23, 2019
Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:qorm2o
$8dd$1@gioia.aioe.org:

> but there is just > very old copper wire from the exchange to my house.
That is what *I* said, idiot.
On 10/23/19 11:04 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
> > DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > > ------------------------------------------- > > >> >> Photos (image files) are typically the most non compressible data file >> there is. So 40GB of photo files is likely only 35GB 'compressed'. >> Not worth the time some would argue. >> > > ** Giant huh ?? > > Image files are JPEGS so easily re-sized with some los. > > Likely the OP has files straight from camera or mobile phone which are huge - like 4 to 10MB. > > A good family pic only needs a tenth of that. > > > > ..... Phil > > >
Hmm, these family photos seem to be videos and they all are about somebody named "Daddy Bear." Yikes, this doesn't seem like appropriate parenting at all!!
> I need to send 40GB of photos to several people. My upload speed is .230 MB/s. > It seems to me my best bet is to mail them a flash drive. Any tips on mailing them > 1st class mail? Any problems mailing them to Mexico and Canada? I live in Texas. > Nothing illegal just common family type images. > Thanks
No problem to Canada unless some duckhead decides to inspect for illegal images, in which case it might be slightly delayed. Choose your description accordingly. -- Spehro Pefhan
On 2019-10-24, Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 23/10/2019 16:03, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: >> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in >> news:qopobj$1n6r$1@gioia.aioe.org: >> >>> Absolutely. If it was on fibre even part of the way then I would >>> have about 5MB like they do in the next village. And equally if >>> there was any aluminium copper joints in the signal path I'd be >>> lucky to get 256k. >> >> Cannot aggree. > > You don't know what you are talking about. ISDN was 128k as 2x 64k > bonded pairs. I had that for a while before ADSL became available.
That's ISDN PRI, which is not the only kind of ISDN, I think he actually means BISDN -- When I tried casting out nines I made a hash of it.
Even so ISDN was pretty much phased out in the UK when SystemX&Y concentrators were retired. It is now BT 21CN MSAN to IP backhaul. https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/21cn_network.htm -- Regards, Martin Brown
> On 10/23/2019 8:22 AM, Winfield Hill wrote: >> gray_wolf wrote... >>> >>>> If you know the recipients can handle them then SD card >>>> cuts the size and weight down to something you can >>>> include inside a Christmas card. >>> >>> Martin, Thanks for the reply! I thought about the SD cards. >> >> Some USB drives are really thin. The Kingston Digital >> DataTraveler SE9 has a strong metal case, costs only $6. >> >> > > Thanks! That looks just the ticket. Don't suppose the post office > would kill it?
Use brown envelopes. White envelopes go into the mail sorting machines where letters move around 270 degree turns on belt pulleys.
> On 10/23/2019 5:42 AM, Rob wrote: >> gray_wolf <g_wolf@howling_mad.com> wrote: >>> I need to send 40GB of photos to several people. My upload speed is .230 MB/s. >>> It seems to me my best bet is to mail them a flash drive. Any tips on mailing them >>> 1st class mail? Any problems mailing them to Mexico and Canada? I live in Texas. >>> Nothing illegal just common family type images. >>> Thanks >> >> Often people's download speed is much higher than upload. >> In cases like this, files are often uploaded to some cloud storage >> or file transfer service, so you need to upload it only once, you >> can send them an e-mail containing the required info to download >> the files. >> Of course 40GB is still an appreciable amount of data, some people >> may have download caps that prevent them from downloading it. >> You can consider to shrink the photos using one of the available >> programs that can do this. Today people often have photos in native >> camera resolution that take several MB per photo, while a simple >> snapshot for family usage can be compressed to 200kB easily without anyone >> noticing. When you upload both versions as a separate collection, >> those that want high quality can download the large one. >> >> Mailing flash drives in a normal envelope usually leads to disaster, >> due to mechanical processing of the mail. You will need to mail >> them in a sturdy envelope (carton, tyvek) and be sure it is handled >> as a package, not a letter. >> > > Rob, Thanks for your reply! My down load speed is 2.7 MB/s on a fast connection. > Thankfully I don't upload much. I did spend 36 hours sending some stuff to my > brother's NAS ftp server. Got some mail from Google Fiber yesterday saying high > speed fiber is coming but didn't give a firm date. > > That's what I was looking for safe packaging info. I only need to send three > at the moment. The thought occurred that perhaps I could rent some tine on a fast > ftp server but search didn't turn up any thing. Thanks again.
one of these might suit your needs: rapidshare.com, deposifiles.com, mega.nz, sendowl.com, wetransfer.com. -- When I tried casting out nines I made a hash of it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22monkeybrains%22+antenna&tbm=isch -- When I tried casting out nines I made a hash of it.
On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 6:07:07 AM UTC-4, gray_wolf wrote:
> I need to send 40GB of photos to several people. My upload speed is .230 MB/s. > It seems to me my best bet is to mail them a flash drive. Any tips on mailing them > 1st class mail? Any problems mailing them to Mexico and Canada? I live in Texas. > Nothing illegal just common family type images. > Thanks
Use 'Media Mail' if you can. You have to request it, because they want to sell you a higher priced service instead. Originally used to share books between various libraries as 'Book Rate'.
On 10/26/2019 6:50 PM, Michael Terrell wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 6:07:07 AM UTC-4, gray_wolf wrote: >> I need to send 40GB of photos to several people. My upload speed is .230 MB/s. >> It seems to me my best bet is to mail them a flash drive. Any tips on mailing them >> 1st class mail? Any problems mailing them to Mexico and Canada? I live in Texas. >> Nothing illegal just common family type images. >> Thanks > > Use 'Media Mail' if you can. You have to request it, because they want to sell you a higher priced service instead. Originally used to share books between various libraries as 'Book Rate'. >
Thanks for the reply. I went to the post office on Saturday expecting to pay $1.15 for 1st class to Mexico. I had the SD card taped between two thin pieces of thin bubble wrap and taped to a trimmed piece of paper to keep it from sliding around. It weighted 1/2 oz. The helpful clerk said since it contained a memory chip it would now cost $35.00 because it would now be considered a package. I would now be required to sign some papers. Despite being a crusty old man I remained somewhat nice with the young employee. I rejected his offer and mumbled something to the effect that I may get a better deal from the Mexican drug cartel. I'll pursue some digital options for now. Failing that, I think that I could conceal a .035" thick micro SD card in one of those multi page greeting cards unless they x-ray everything. Rant over/