OT?

Started by gray_wolf October 23, 2019
Winfield Hill <winfieldhill@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:qopuc901isj@drn.newsguy.com:

> jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote... >> >> The microwave dishes are astounding. ... >> >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4kz2j7ikii3b0z/Monkey_Brains_Dish.JPG?r >> aw=1 > > Unfortunately, when you Google, Monkey Brains Dish, you get ... > dishes of monkey brains, uggh! > >
Start by selecting 'images' in google page before entering ther search criteria Then try "Monkey Brains satellite dish".
On 23 Oct 2019 09:16:09 -0700, Winfield Hill <winfieldhill@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote... >> >> The microwave dishes are astounding. ... >> >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4kz2j7ikii3b0z/Monkey_Brains_Dish.JPG?raw=1 > > Unfortunately, when you Google, Monkey Brains Dish, you get ... > dishes of monkey brains, uggh!
Don't like foreign food? Monkey Brains is our provider. They are great. If something ever goes wrong, they get a guy here in half an hour. I think they walk. Here's the dish on our roof: https://www.dropbox.com/s/maf12qoae6204tp/Mikrotik.JPG?dl=0 and a similar one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-Light-Integrated-Polarization-Antenna/dp/B01DAHX2J0/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=mikrotik+dish&qid=1571861583&sr=8-26 That would sound like a bargain to me for $1000. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Ricky likes to steal electricity to charge his Tesla. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
onsdag den 23. oktober 2019 kl. 17.52.17 UTC+2 skrev jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 15:33:23 +0100, Martin Brown > <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote: > > >On 23/10/2019 12:55, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: > >> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in > >> news:qopcub$162$1@gioia.aioe.org: > >> > >>> On 23/10/2019 11:07, gray_wolf wrote: > >>>> I need to send 40GB of photos to several people. My upload speed > >>>> is .230 MB/s. It seems to me my best bet is to mail them a flash > >>>> drive. Any tips on mailing them 1st class mail? Any problems > >>>> mailing them to Mexico and Canada? I live in Texas. Nothing > >>>> illegal just common family type images. Thanks > >>> > >>> Upload from somewhere with a much faster connection - 230k seems > >>> awfully slow. My rural wet string was good for 448k on ADSL and > >>> went up to 1M when ADSL 2+ was rolled out and that is on antique > >>> corroded copper. > >> > >> You sure that was "on copper"? > > > >Absolutely. If it was on fibre even part of the way then I would have > >about 5MB like they do in the next village. And equally if there was any > >aluminium copper joints in the signal path I'd be lucky to get 256k. > >> > >> Oh and cable modems have ALWAYS had a slower up-fiber connection > >> that their down rate. Those were original choices made by the cable > >> provider back when motorola and they made the spec. > > > >UK isn't strong on cable modems except in the cities. Cable TV was very > >late in the UK compared to many other countries. ADSL was slow to arrive > >here and for a long while was limited to 2Mbps down 448k up. > > We have microwave service at work, for internet and phones. It's line > of sight to another dish maybe 1/4 mile away. We pay for 50+50 mbps > and get close to 500+500. > > To get fiber, we would have had to pay to dig up a block of sidewalk. > > The microwave dishes are astounding. The pair has RJ45s and acts like > a piece of CAT6 at 1 GBPS. The pair of dishes costs something > incredible like $140. > > https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4kz2j7ikii3b0z/Monkey_Brains_Dish.JPG?raw=1 > > > There's a small village north of here that had no internet service so > one guy got a dish pair and connects to the other side of Bodega Bay, > and provides data for his neighbors. >
that is basically how cable tv started, Leroy E. "Ed" Parsons put a large antenna on top of a hotel and ran a coax to his home because his wife wanted to watch TV. TV got popular and he started distributed the signal via coax to other homes for a fee
On 10/23/19 2:07 PM, Rick C wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 6:07:07 AM UTC-4, gray_wolf wrote: >> I need to send 40GB of photos to several people. My upload speed is .230 MB/s. >> It seems to me my best bet is to mail them a flash drive. Any tips on mailing them >> 1st class mail? Any problems mailing them to Mexico and Canada? I live in Texas. >> Nothing illegal just common family type images. >> Thanks > > Wow, that's 44 hours of upload time. Still not inconceivable. However, it's still a bear even with typical higher speed connections like 10 or even 100 Mbps. Your speed is actually 2 Mbps, so at the low end, but not ridiculous. > > I was going to suggest you use the link at your local library or coffee shop, but unless they have a seriously high speed link you would still be there for hours. > > Yeah, for 40 GB I suspect the flash card or USB drive is best. A 64 GB SD card can be mailed between two pieces of card stock (cereal box cardboard) in an envelope. Use one of those rather small envelopes or it might end up weighing more than the base 1 oz. Also, use tape to seal the two cards together so the SD card won't slide out from between them. >
40GB of "family photos"? Is that compressed? That's a lotta family photos. In any case 44 hour upload is unpleasant but not unheard of like when we had to upload ah, not-a-video-game over a 2400 modem to a buddy back in the day. Run it from a second PC and just let it go. DSL or satellite way more reliable than an analog modem, too. Moooom put down the phone goddamn!!!
bitrex <user@example.net> wrote in

> 40GB of "family photos"? Is that compressed? That's a lotta family > photos. >
Photos (image files) are typically the most non compressible data file there is. So 40GB of photo files is likely only 35GB 'compressed'. Not worth the time some would argue.
On 10/23/19 10:02 PM, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> bitrex <user@example.net> wrote in > news:Ii7sF.147304$LA2.120352@fx04.iad: > >> 40GB of "family photos"? Is that compressed? That's a lotta family >> photos. >> > > Photos (image files) are typically the most non compressible data file > there is. So 40GB of photo files is likely only 35GB 'compressed'. > Not worth the time some would argue. >
"Hmm...these family photos all seem to be of Russian submarine pens in Murmansk down to a quarter meter resolution!" "Yes, yes sir that is correct I am descended from a proud line of nuclear attack submarines."
DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:

> > Photos (image files) are typically the most non compressible data file > there is. So 40GB of photo files is likely only 35GB 'compressed'. > Not worth the time some would argue. >
** Giant huh ?? Image files are JPEGS so easily re-sized with some los. Likely the OP has files straight from camera or mobile phone which are huge - like 4 to 10MB. A good family pic only needs a tenth of that. ..... Phil
Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote in

> > DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote: > > ------------------------------------------- > > >> >> Photos (image files) are typically the most non compressible data >> file there is. So 40GB of photo files is likely only 35GB >> 'compressed'. Not worth the time some would argue. >> > > ** Giant huh ?? > > Image files are JPEGS so easily re-sized with some los.
He did not say resolution degrading resizing. He said COMPRESSION, as in trying to make the amount of data uploaded less, without ANY degradation of the original files.
> > Likely the OP has files straight from camera or mobile phone which > are huge - like 4 to 10MB. > > A good family pic only needs a tenth of that. > >
Naaahh... I have pics that are 15MB raw.
On 23/10/2019 16:52, jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 15:33:23 +0100, Martin Brown > <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote: > >> On 23/10/2019 12:55, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: >>> Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in >>> news:qopcub$162$1@gioia.aioe.org: >>> >>>> On 23/10/2019 11:07, gray_wolf wrote: >>>>> I need to send 40GB of photos to several people. My upload speed >>>>> is .230 MB/s. It seems to me my best bet is to mail them a flash >>>>> drive. Any tips on mailing them 1st class mail? Any problems >>>>> mailing them to Mexico and Canada? I live in Texas. Nothing >>>>> illegal just common family type images. Thanks >>>> >>>> Upload from somewhere with a much faster connection - 230k seems >>>> awfully slow. My rural wet string was good for 448k on ADSL and >>>> went up to 1M when ADSL 2+ was rolled out and that is on antique >>>> corroded copper. >>> >>> You sure that was "on copper"? >> >> Absolutely. If it was on fibre even part of the way then I would have >> about 5MB like they do in the next village. And equally if there was any >> aluminium copper joints in the signal path I'd be lucky to get 256k. >>> >>> Oh and cable modems have ALWAYS had a slower up-fiber connection >>> that their down rate. Those were original choices made by the cable >>> provider back when motorola and they made the spec. >> >> UK isn't strong on cable modems except in the cities. Cable TV was very >> late in the UK compared to many other countries. ADSL was slow to arrive >> here and for a long while was limited to 2Mbps down 448k up. > > We have microwave service at work, for internet and phones. It's line > of sight to another dish maybe 1/4 mile away. We pay for 50+50 mbps > and get close to 500+500.
That is available where I live too. But I get caught by the strict line of sight requirement hills and trees in the way. To install a booster node I would have to find at least 5 others wanting fast internet. Our village hall (which I run) has strict line of sight to a node so I can connect to that and get a much faster connect if I need to.
> > To get fiber, we would have had to pay to dig up a block of sidewalk.
Where I live there is no mains gas nor any kind of cable anything beyond classic prehistoric overhead POTS wiring which has long since run out of working line pairs. They break a working circuit every other time they fix a broken one. It is that fragile! Lack of mains gas and overhead wired phone and electricity is a very good proxy in the UK for having stone age wet string wired internet.
> The microwave dishes are astounding. The pair has RJ45s and acts like > a piece of CAT6 at 1 GBPS. The pair of dishes costs something > incredible like $140. > > https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4kz2j7ikii3b0z/Monkey_Brains_Dish.JPG?raw=1
The ones on offer locally are not that fast. The basic cheap consumer service is 20MB each way and then 200MB but that gets a bit pricey. BT admits defeat here and have offered some ADSL customers I know a cut price deal on 4G based internet service from their mobile network.
> There's a small village north of here that had no internet service so > one guy got a dish pair and connects to the other side of Bodega Bay, > and provides data for his neighbors.
That is how our local microwave service started in the village where there is 1960's corroded aluminium to copper joints rectifying all the RF ADSL signals into harmonic distortion oblivion. Getting a 256k downlink there on ADSL is something of a challenge. BT bust a gut to install FTTC there to cut the legs off the microwave guys but by then the farmers had all bought in and have dishes mounted high up on the apex of their barns to get clear line of sight. Capital cost is higher but it seems pretty reliable once it is aligned and working. -- Regards, Martin Brown