Forums

HDMI in US and in EU

Started by Cameo October 4, 2019
On my recent move to Europe I also shipped an older Samsung LCD monitor
that I've been using as an external display with my laptop, using HDMI
connection. I also used it as a TV display via another HDMI connection
to a set top box. It was a very convenient setup, needing only a switch
of the video source.

I figured I could use that monitor in Europe, as HDMI standards should
be the same. To my disappointment though, the monitor would not display
the TV program from the set top box. Instead I get an error message that
says something about an unsupported mode. What mode is that? I know that
the TV standards are different, but I thought HDMI display makes it a
non-issue. Am I wrong?
Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in

> On my recent move to Europe I also shipped an older Samsung LCD > monitor that I've been using as an external display with my > laptop, using HDMI connection. I also used it as a TV display via > another HDMI connection to a set top box. It was a very convenient > setup, needing only a switch of the video source. > > I figured I could use that monitor in Europe, as HDMI standards > should be the same. To my disappointment though, the monitor would > not display the TV program from the set top box. Instead I get an > error message that says something about an unsupported mode. What > mode is that? I know that the TV standards are different, but I > thought HDMI display makes it a non-issue. Am I wrong? >
European HD came out of the PAL days of the CRT era. So you will get no set top box action with a US TV (sans some converter that may or may not exist). You should still be able to do laptop hookups though. So, you need to instead of CONNECTING your TV with HDMI from the set top box, make your device a hot spot, and log your TV onto it via wifi or bluetooth. No wifi TV? Ohhh... back to the wire. If the content you select (from a PC) then still wont play, then you maybe need a different streaming player (VLC) because that should be region independent Your TV got no wifi? Amazon dot calm.
On 2019. 10. 04. 20:16, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in > news:qn81e8$s6n$1@dont-email.me: > >> On my recent move to Europe I also shipped an older Samsung LCD >> monitor that I've been using as an external display with my >> laptop, using HDMI connection. I also used it as a TV display via >> another HDMI connection to a set top box. It was a very convenient >> setup, needing only a switch of the video source. >> >> I figured I could use that monitor in Europe, as HDMI standards >> should be the same. To my disappointment though, the monitor would >> not display the TV program from the set top box. Instead I get an >> error message that says something about an unsupported mode. What >> mode is that? I know that the TV standards are different, but I >> thought HDMI display makes it a non-issue. Am I wrong? >> > > European HD came out of the PAL days of the CRT era. So you will get > no set top box action with a US TV (sans some converter that may or > may not exist). > > You should still be able to do laptop hookups though. > > So, you need to instead of CONNECTING your TV with HDMI from the > set top box, make your device a hot spot, and log your TV onto it via > wifi or bluetooth. No wifi TV? Ohhh... back to the wire. > > If the content you select (from a PC) then still wont play, then you > maybe need a different streaming player (VLC) because that should be > region independent > > Your TV got no wifi? Amazon dot calm. >
This display monitor originally had a built in TV tuner that became obsolete when Comcast started encrypting its channels. From that point on I had to get the TV feed from their set top box via HDMI. Since it is a fairly old set, it is not a smart TV but I like its display quality and I still can use it as a 23" external monitor for my laptop.

Apparently EU is PAL HDMI Try this... <https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pal+to+ntsc+hdmi+converter&hvadid=77996659592914&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_6txrcxogy9_b> Cheers
On 2019. 10. 05. 3:24, Martin Riddle wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 21:25:36 +0200, Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote: > >> On 2019. 10. 04. 20:16, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: >>> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in >>> news:qn81e8$s6n$1@dont-email.me: >>> >>>> On my recent move to Europe I also shipped an older Samsung LCD >>>> monitor that I've been using as an external display with my >>>> laptop, using HDMI connection. I also used it as a TV display via >>>> another HDMI connection to a set top box. It was a very convenient >>>> setup, needing only a switch of the video source. >>>> >>>> I figured I could use that monitor in Europe, as HDMI standards >>>> should be the same. To my disappointment though, the monitor would >>>> not display the TV program from the set top box. Instead I get an >>>> error message that says something about an unsupported mode. What >>>> mode is that? I know that the TV standards are different, but I >>>> thought HDMI display makes it a non-issue. Am I wrong? >>>> >>> >>> European HD came out of the PAL days of the CRT era. So you will get >>> no set top box action with a US TV (sans some converter that may or >>> may not exist). >>> >>> You should still be able to do laptop hookups though. >>> >>> So, you need to instead of CONNECTING your TV with HDMI from the >>> set top box, make your device a hot spot, and log your TV onto it via >>> wifi or bluetooth. No wifi TV? Ohhh... back to the wire. >>> >>> If the content you select (from a PC) then still wont play, then you >>> maybe need a different streaming player (VLC) because that should be >>> region independent >>> >>> Your TV got no wifi? Amazon dot calm. >>> >> This display monitor originally had a built in TV tuner that became >> obsolete when Comcast started encrypting its channels. From that point >> on I had to get the TV feed from their set top box via HDMI. Since it is >> a fairly old set, it is not a smart TV but I like its display quality >> and I still can use it as a 23" external monitor for my laptop. > > Apparently EU is PAL HDMI > > Try this... > <https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pal+to+ntsc+hdmi+converter&hvadid=77996659592914&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_6txrcxogy9_b> > > Cheers >
Thanks for the tip. I though there might be some converters to do that but the cost of hem is sometimes more than buying a similar new PAL TV would cost.

> On 2019. 10. 05. 3:24, Martin Riddle wrote: >> On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 21:25:36 +0200, Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> >> wrote: >> >>> On 2019. 10. 04. 20:16, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org >>> wrote: >>>> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in >>>> news:qn81e8$s6n$1@dont-email.me: >>>> >>>>> On my recent move to Europe I also shipped an older Samsung >>>>> LCD monitor that I've been using as an external display with >>>>> my laptop, using HDMI connection. I also used it as a TV >>>>> display via another HDMI connection to a set top box. It was a >>>>> very convenient setup, needing only a switch of the video >>>>> source. >>>>> >>>>> I figured I could use that monitor in Europe, as HDMI >>>>> standards should be the same. To my disappointment though, the >>>>> monitor would not display the TV program from the set top box. >>>>> Instead I get an error message that says something about an >>>>> unsupported mode. What mode is that? I know that the TV >>>>> standards are different, but I thought HDMI display makes it a >>>>> non-issue. Am I wrong? >>>>> >>>> >>>> European HD came out of the PAL days of the CRT era. So you >>>> will get no set top box action with a US TV (sans some >>>> converter that may or may not exist). >>>> >>>> You should still be able to do laptop hookups though. >>>> >>>> So, you need to instead of CONNECTING your TV with HDMI >>>> from the >>>> set top box, make your device a hot spot, and log your TV onto >>>> it via wifi or bluetooth. No wifi TV? Ohhh... back to the >>>> wire. >>>> >>>> If the content you select (from a PC) then still wont play, >>>> then you >>>> maybe need a different streaming player (VLC) because that >>>> should be region independent >>>> >>>> Your TV got no wifi? Amazon dot calm. >>>> >>> This display monitor originally had a built in TV tuner that >>> became obsolete when Comcast started encrypting its channels. >>> From that point on I had to get the TV feed from their set top >>> box via HDMI. Since it is a fairly old set, it is not a smart TV >>> but I like its display quality and I still can use it as a 23" >>> external monitor for my laptop. >> >> Apparently EU is PAL HDMI >> >> Try this... >> <https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pal+to+ntsc+hdmi+converter&hvadid=7799 >> 6659592914&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_6txrcxog >> y9_b> >> >> Cheers >> > > Thanks for the tip. I though there might be some converters to do > that but the cost of hem is sometimes more than buying a similar > new PAL TV would cost. > > >
Or the non pal tv that is smart and then you stream to the TV by way of the TVs internet connection instead of paying for cable or the set top box thing. I would just get a nice 27" 4K computer display, but none of those are smart. They sure are nice on resolution though. But my cheap 55" last years model Samsung was only $350, and it is sweet on video and rocks on connectivity.
On 2019. 10. 05. 13:07, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote:
> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in > news:qn9rib$5e0$1@dont-email.me: > >> On 2019. 10. 05. 3:24, Martin Riddle wrote: >>> On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 21:25:36 +0200, Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> >>> wrote: >>> >>>> On 2019. 10. 04. 20:16, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org >>>> wrote: >>>>> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in >>>>> news:qn81e8$s6n$1@dont-email.me: >>>>> >>>>>> On my recent move to Europe I also shipped an older Samsung >>>>>> LCD monitor that I've been using as an external display with >>>>>> my laptop, using HDMI connection. I also used it as a TV >>>>>> display via another HDMI connection to a set top box. It was a >>>>>> very convenient setup, needing only a switch of the video >>>>>> source. >>>>>> >>>>>> I figured I could use that monitor in Europe, as HDMI >>>>>> standards should be the same. To my disappointment though, the >>>>>> monitor would not display the TV program from the set top box. >>>>>> Instead I get an error message that says something about an >>>>>> unsupported mode. What mode is that? I know that the TV >>>>>> standards are different, but I thought HDMI display makes it a >>>>>> non-issue. Am I wrong? >>>>>> >>>>> >>>>> European HD came out of the PAL days of the CRT era. So you >>>>> will get no set top box action with a US TV (sans some >>>>> converter that may or may not exist). >>>>> >>>>> You should still be able to do laptop hookups though. >>>>> >>>>> So, you need to instead of CONNECTING your TV with HDMI >>>>> from the >>>>> set top box, make your device a hot spot, and log your TV onto >>>>> it via wifi or bluetooth. No wifi TV? Ohhh... back to the >>>>> wire. >>>>> >>>>> If the content you select (from a PC) then still wont play, >>>>> then you >>>>> maybe need a different streaming player (VLC) because that >>>>> should be region independent >>>>> >>>>> Your TV got no wifi? Amazon dot calm. >>>>> >>>> This display monitor originally had a built in TV tuner that >>>> became obsolete when Comcast started encrypting its channels. >>>> From that point on I had to get the TV feed from their set top >>>> box via HDMI. Since it is a fairly old set, it is not a smart TV >>>> but I like its display quality and I still can use it as a 23" >>>> external monitor for my laptop. >>> >>> Apparently EU is PAL HDMI >>> >>> Try this... >>> <https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pal+to+ntsc+hdmi+converter&hvadid=7799 >>> 6659592914&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_6txrcxog >>> y9_b> >>> >>> Cheers >>> >> >> Thanks for the tip. I though there might be some converters to do >> that but the cost of hem is sometimes more than buying a similar >> new PAL TV would cost. >> >> >> > > Or the non pal tv that is smart and then you stream to the TV by > way of the TVs internet connection instead of paying for cable or the > set top box thing. > > I would just get a nice 27" 4K computer display, but none of those > are smart. They sure are nice on resolution though. > > But my cheap 55" last years model Samsung was only $350, and it is > sweet on video and rocks on connectivity.
Yes, those 55"-ers nice. I bought a 4K 49" QLED smart TV from Samsung a couple weeks ago and that also uses IP connection. I am still trying to figure out all its features and how to use them.
> [...]
> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in > news:qn9rib$5e0$1@dont-email.me: > >> On 2019. 10. 05. 3:24, Martin Riddle wrote: >>> On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 21:25:36 +0200, Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> >>> wrote: >>> >>>> On 2019. 10. 04. 20:16, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org >>>> wrote: >>>>> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in >>>>> news:qn81e8$s6n$1@dont-email.me: >>>>> >>>>>> On my recent move to Europe I also shipped an older Samsung >>>>>> LCD monitor that I've been using as an external display with >>>>>> my laptop, using HDMI connection. I also used it as a TV >>>>>> display via another HDMI connection to a set top box. It was a >>>>>> very convenient setup, needing only a switch of the video >>>>>> source. >>>>>> >>>>>> I figured I could use that monitor in Europe, as HDMI >>>>>> standards should be the same. To my disappointment though, the >>>>>> monitor would not display the TV program from the set top box. >>>>>> Instead I get an error message that says something about an >>>>>> unsupported mode. What mode is that? I know that the TV >>>>>> standards are different, but I thought HDMI display makes it a >>>>>> non-issue. Am I wrong? >>>>>> >>>>> >>>>> European HD came out of the PAL days of the CRT era. So you >>>>> will get no set top box action with a US TV (sans some >>>>> converter that may or may not exist). >>>>> >>>>> You should still be able to do laptop hookups though. >>>>> >>>>> So, you need to instead of CONNECTING your TV with HDMI >>>>> from the >>>>> set top box, make your device a hot spot, and log your TV onto >>>>> it via wifi or bluetooth. No wifi TV? Ohhh... back to the >>>>> wire. >>>>> >>>>> If the content you select (from a PC) then still wont play, >>>>> then you >>>>> maybe need a different streaming player (VLC) because that >>>>> should be region independent >>>>> >>>>> Your TV got no wifi? Amazon dot calm. >>>>> >>>> This display monitor originally had a built in TV tuner that >>>> became obsolete when Comcast started encrypting its channels. >>>> From that point on I had to get the TV feed from their set top >>>> box via HDMI. Since it is a fairly old set, it is not a smart TV >>>> but I like its display quality and I still can use it as a 23" >>>> external monitor for my laptop. >>> >>> Apparently EU is PAL HDMI >>> >>> Try this... >>> <https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pal+to+ntsc+hdmi+converter&hvadid=7799 >>> 6659592914&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_6txrcxog >>> y9_b> >>> >>> Cheers >>> >> >> Thanks for the tip. I though there might be some converters to do >> that but the cost of hem is sometimes more than buying a similar >> new PAL TV would cost. >> >> >> > > Or the non pal tv that is smart and then you stream to the TV by > way of the TVs internet connection instead of paying for cable or the > set top box thing. > > I would just get a nice 27" 4K computer display, but none of those > are smart. They sure are nice on resolution though. > > But my cheap 55" last years model Samsung was only $350, and it is > sweet on video and rocks on connectivity.
Here is what I don't get about HDMI. If I can't use an NTSC TV set with HDMI connection in Europe due to the PAL TV standard, would I still be able to use my laptop's HDMI output to display on a PAL TV set through its HDMI input source? My purpose is to have a TV set with dual purpose: to display PAL TV programming, and to act as an external monitor for my laptop via HDMI cable. My current 23" NTSC TV set worked great in such dual role in the US. Unfortunately now I can only use it as an external display. I don't want to buy a new PAL TV set here and then find out that it would not display the screen of my laptop that was made for the US market. Tv set in
You may have to try it out in a store to be certain. https://www.lifewire.com/why-ntsc-and-pal-still-matter-1847856
> Tv set in
Some may well be OK about what they accept. Many DVD players sold in UK supermarkets can be chipped to play US zoned content and there wouldn't be much point if TVs couldn't play them. Some freeview tuners have a PAL or NTSC output setting hidden in the nest of menus somewhere. Tottenham Court road used to be the place to go for properly chipped multi-standard kit in the UK. NASA went to them to get region free chipped DVD players for the ISS. On a laptop you may well be able to tweek things to work by setting a 50Hz frame rate even if the UK TV cannot accommodate US 60Hz inputs. I can't really comment on which are and which are not since my TV is multi-standard - I have lived overseas in NTSC(Japan). -- Regards, Martin Brown

> On 2019. 10. 05. 13:07, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org > wrote: >> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in >> news:qn9rib$5e0$1@dont-email.me: >> >>> On 2019. 10. 05. 3:24, Martin Riddle wrote: >>>> On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 21:25:36 +0200, Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> >>>> wrote: >>>> >>>>> On 2019. 10. 04. 20:16, >>>>> DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno@decadence.org wrote: >>>>>> Cameo <cameo@unreal.invalid> wrote in >>>>>> news:qn81e8$s6n$1@dont-email.me: >>>>>> >>>>>>> On my recent move to Europe I also shipped an older Samsung >>>>>>> LCD monitor that I've been using as an external display with >>>>>>> my laptop, using HDMI connection. I also used it as a TV >>>>>>> display via another HDMI connection to a set top box. It was >>>>>>> a very convenient setup, needing only a switch of the video >>>>>>> source. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> I figured I could use that monitor in Europe, as HDMI >>>>>>> standards should be the same. To my disappointment though, >>>>>>> the monitor would not display the TV program from the set >>>>>>> top box. Instead I get an error message that says something >>>>>>> about an unsupported mode. What mode is that? I know that >>>>>>> the TV standards are different, but I thought HDMI display >>>>>>> makes it a non-issue. Am I wrong? >>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> European HD came out of the PAL days of the CRT era. So you >>>>>> will get no set top box action with a US TV (sans some >>>>>> converter that may or may not exist). >>>>>> >>>>>> You should still be able to do laptop hookups though. >>>>>> >>>>>> So, you need to instead of CONNECTING your TV with HDMI >>>>>> from the >>>>>> set top box, make your device a hot spot, and log your TV >>>>>> onto it via wifi or bluetooth. No wifi TV? Ohhh... back to >>>>>> the wire. >>>>>> >>>>>> If the content you select (from a PC) then still wont >>>>>> play, then you >>>>>> maybe need a different streaming player (VLC) because that >>>>>> should be region independent >>>>>> >>>>>> Your TV got no wifi? Amazon dot calm. >>>>>> >>>>> This display monitor originally had a built in TV tuner that >>>>> became obsolete when Comcast started encrypting its channels. >>>>> From that point on I had to get the TV feed from their set >>>>> top >>>>> box via HDMI. Since it is a fairly old set, it is not a smart >>>>> TV but I like its display quality and I still can use it as a >>>>> 23" external monitor for my laptop. >>>> >>>> Apparently EU is PAL HDMI >>>> >>>> Try this... >>>> <https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pal+to+ntsc+hdmi+converter&hvadid=77 >>>> 99 >>>> 6659592914&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_6txrcx >>>> og y9_b> >>>> >>>> Cheers >>>> >>> >>> Thanks for the tip. I though there might be some converters to >>> do that but the cost of hem is sometimes more than buying a >>> similar new PAL TV would cost. >>> >>> >>> >> >> Or the non pal tv that is smart and then you stream to the TV >> by >> way of the TVs internet connection instead of paying for cable or >> the set top box thing. >> >> I would just get a nice 27" 4K computer display, but none of >> those >> are smart. They sure are nice on resolution though. >> >> But my cheap 55" last years model Samsung was only $350, and >> it is >> sweet on video and rocks on connectivity. > > Here is what I don't get about HDMI. If I can't use an NTSC TV set > with HDMI connection in Europe due to the PAL TV standard, would I > still be able to use my laptop's HDMI output to display on a PAL > TV set through its HDMI input source? My purpose is to have a TV > set with dual purpose: to display PAL TV programming, and to act > as an external monitor for my laptop via HDMI cable. My current > 23" NTSC TV set worked great in such dual role in the US. > Unfortunately now I can only use it as an external display. I > don't want to buy a new PAL TV set here and then find out that it > would not display the screen of my laptop that was made for the > US market. > > > Tv set in >
Usually the windows driver settings should have something for your video card that allows you to chose the output mode.