Forums

New Raspberry Pi 4 presented today

Started by Jan Panteltje June 24, 2019
New Raspberry Pi 4 quadcore presented today:
 https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

USB3, gigabit ethernet, micro HDMI dual display 4K, WiFi, bluetooth
H264 and H265 hardware decode, 40 pin GPIO,
1, 2, or 4 GB RAM,.
5V 3 A supply.

Only minus I see is that the power consumption goes up and up with each model,
my old 1 core raspi only needs 300 mA :-(

Jan Panteltje wrote...
> > New Raspberry Pi 4 quadcore presented today: > https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/ > > USB3, gigabit ethernet, micro HDMI dual display 4K, WiFi, > bluetooth. H264 and H265 hardware decode, 40 pin GPIO, > 1, 2, or 4 GB RAM,. 5V 3 A supply. > > Only minus I see is that the power consumption goes up and > up with each model, my old 1 core raspi only needs 300 mA :-(
I noticed the pics don't show a heatsink on the processor, will that have to be an awkward 3rd-party add-on? Maybe a heatsink with a small fan? Is there a fan connector? -- Thanks, - Win
On a sunny day (24 Jun 2019 03:01:11 -0700) it happened Winfield Hill
<winfieldhill@yahoo.com> wrote in <qeq71702fh6@drn.newsguy.com>:

>Jan Panteltje wrote... >> >> New Raspberry Pi 4 quadcore presented today: >> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/ >> >> USB3, gigabit ethernet, micro HDMI dual display 4K, WiFi, >> bluetooth. H264 and H265 hardware decode, 40 pin GPIO, >> 1, 2, or 4 GB RAM,. 5V 3 A supply. >> >> Only minus I see is that the power consumption goes up and >> up with each model, my old 1 core raspi only needs 300 mA :-( > > I noticed the pics don't show a heatsink on the processor, > will that have to be an awkward 3rd-party add-on? Maybe > a heatsink with a small fan? Is there a fan connector? >
Good question, here they sell a case with build in fan https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/unity-case-for-raspberry-pi-4-with-fan-transparent I take it that it is always on. What I find peculiar is that the specs say 0-50 &#2013266096;C, so not below zero? I will likely order one, as the idea of 2 displays seems cool.
cross posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi

Jan Panteltje <pNaOnStPeAlMtje@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On a sunny day (24 Jun 2019 03:01:11 -0700) it happened Winfield Hill > <winfieldhill@yahoo.com> wrote in <qeq71702fh6@drn.newsguy.com>: > >>Jan Panteltje wrote... >>> >>> New Raspberry Pi 4 quadcore presented today: >>> https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/ >>> >>> USB3, gigabit ethernet, micro HDMI dual display 4K, WiFi, >>> bluetooth. H264 and H265 hardware decode, 40 pin GPIO, >>> 1, 2, or 4 GB RAM,. 5V 3 A supply. >>> >>> Only minus I see is that the power consumption goes up and >>> up with each model, my old 1 core raspi only needs 300 mA :-( >> >> I noticed the pics don't show a heatsink on the processor, >> will that have to be an awkward 3rd-party add-on? Maybe >> a heatsink with a small fan? Is there a fan connector? >> > Good question, > here they sell a case with build in fan > https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/unity-case-for-raspberry-pi-4-with-fan-transparent > I take it that it is always on. > > What I find peculiar is that the specs say 0-50 &deg;C, > so not below zero? > > I will likely order one, as the idea of 2 displays seems cool.
Is a cooler mandatory? The GPIO block contains power pins able to theoretically power a fan. Thank you, 73, -- Don Kuenz KB7RPU There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light; She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
Winfield Hill <winfieldhill@yahoo.com> wrote:

 > I noticed the pics don't show a heatsink on the processor,
 > will that have to be an awkward 3rd-party add-on?

I read that it should work better than the old RP3, but it will lower
the speed themself if it run to hot. Of course you can buy a fan, a
M.2 adapter and many bells and whistles. But somewhere there is a
break even point to a real PC.
Anyway, tomorow in China they will start to build all the
supplements. :-)
However, I think it is better to wait 1-2month before use it because
the software is not realy ready. For example I think for a 64bit CPU
it should be a 64bit Linux and not a 32Bit.

Olaf

p.s: Thank you for your book. I am a satiesfied buyer of AoL and I
am always surprised how easy it is to read if I compare it with German
books, even if I have to read it in your language.

Jan Panteltje <pNaOnStPeAlMtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

 >I will likely order one, as the idea of 2 displays seems cool.

Realy? My first thought was, why they waste the space for a second
display because 99% of the buyer would prefer a SATA connector
instead. What is the application for a second display on a hardware
that is a little bit weak in computing performance compared to
PC-hardware.

Olaf
Jan Panteltje <pNaOnStPeAlMtje@yahoo.com> wrote in

> New Raspberry Pi 4 quadcore presented today: > https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/ > > USB3, gigabit ethernet, micro HDMI dual display 4K, WiFi, > bluetooth H264 and H265 hardware decode, 40 pin GPIO, > 1, 2, or 4 GB RAM,. > 5V 3 A supply. > > > Only minus I see is that the power consumption goes up and up with > each model, my old 1 core raspi only needs 300 mA :-( > >
It has been beat already. Ras pi is not king, and never was. I will pay extra for better, and I will get better. Almost any of the other players is better. <https://www.solid-run.com/nxp-family/hummingboard/>
On a sunny day (Mon, 24 Jun 2019 16:24:58 +0200) it happened olaf
<olaf@criseis.ruhr.de> wrote in <q237uf-7a3.ln1@criseis.ruhr.de>:

>Jan Panteltje <pNaOnStPeAlMtje@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > >I will likely order one, as the idea of 2 displays seems cool. > >Realy? My first thought was, why they waste the space for a second >display because 99% of the buyer would prefer a SATA connector >instead. What is the application for a second display on a hardware >that is a little bit weak in computing performance compared to >PC-hardware. > >Olaf
For example in a boat in the cabin near the chart table, and on the outside for the helmsman. And with different data at that, and remote controlled and.. Anyways, I started ordering, the 4G was not available, so OK added the 2G to the basket, also needed special HDMI cables, power supply, SDcard, hit the 100 Euro mark, and then it showed all out of stock! 2 weeks lead time? There was clearly a run to buy one this morning. I really want the 4G memory version so will try again later. Even the housing with fan went out of stock in the ten minutes I needed to select things!
mandag den 24. juni 2019 kl. 16.31.07 UTC+2 skrev DecadentLinux...@decadence.org:
> Jan Panteltje <pNaOnStPeAlMtje@yahoo.com> wrote in > news:qeq4ta$ie9$1@dont-email.me: > > > New Raspberry Pi 4 quadcore presented today: > > https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/ > > > > USB3, gigabit ethernet, micro HDMI dual display 4K, WiFi, > > bluetooth H264 and H265 hardware decode, 40 pin GPIO, > > 1, 2, or 4 GB RAM,. > > 5V 3 A supply. > > > > > > Only minus I see is that the power consumption goes up and up with > > each model, my old 1 core raspi only needs 300 mA :-( > > > > > > It has been beat already. Ras pi is not king, and never was. I > will pay extra for better, and I will get better. > > Almost any of the other players is better. > > <https://www.solid-run.com/nxp-family/hummingboard/>
yeh only +5x the price ...
On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 15:42:15 GMT, Jan Panteltje

Heads up 3D display using two small LCD monitors? Driving a 3D "fog display"? <http://www.fogscreen.com> Picture in Picture display?
>For example in a boat in the cabin near the chart table, >and on the outside for the helmsman. >And with different data at that, and remote controlled and..
Debugging perhaps? Program runs on one display, and debugger/editor/perfmon/etc on the other display? Combine the two HDMI ports to make a single 8K or wider display? Watch two TV programs, or play two games at the same time? -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558