Forums

GBps to MB/s

Started by amdx January 24, 2019
To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm 
registration to a forum.

"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in 
MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):"

  I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an 
invalid answer", So I googled and found:
" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second"
But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer".
  Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s

Any ideas?
                       Mikek
On 24/01/2019 17:42, amdx wrote:
> To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm > registration to a forum. > > "If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in > MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):" > >  I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an > invalid answer", So I googled and found: > " 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second" > But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer". >  Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s > > Any ideas? >                       Mikek
I say bits = 10 therefore 10gbps = 100MBps --- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus
On 1/24/2019 11:47 AM, TTman wrote:
> On 24/01/2019 17:42, amdx wrote: >> To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm >> registration to a forum. >> >> "If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps >> in MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):" >> >>   I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is >> an invalid answer", So I googled and found: >> " 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second" >> But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer". >>   Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s >> >> Any ideas? >>                        Mikek > I say bits = 10 therefore 10gbps = 100MBps > > --- > This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. > https://www.avast.com/antivirus >
OH, I missed the B vs b. Tried to many timew, now I need to wait. Thanks, Mike
On 24/01/2019 17:42, amdx wrote:
> To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm > registration to a forum. > > "If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in > MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):" > >  I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an > invalid answer", So I googled and found: > " 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second" > But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer". >  Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s > > Any ideas? >                       Mikek
10000MB/s ? Cheers -- Clive
On 01/24/2019 12:42 PM, amdx wrote:
> To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm > registration to a forum. > > "If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in > MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):" > >  I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an > invalid answer", So I googled and found: > " 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second" > But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer". >  Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s > > Any ideas? >                       Mikek
Lol fuck that forum
On 1/24/2019 1:02 PM, bitrex wrote:
> On 01/24/2019 12:42 PM, amdx wrote: >> To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm >> registration to a forum. >> >> "If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps >> in MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):" >> >>   I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is >> an invalid answer", So I googled and found: >> " 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second" >> But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer". >>   Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s >> >> Any ideas? >>                        Mikek > > Lol fuck that forum
OK, maybe you can answer my question then. I have Mediasonic HW150 digital Video recorder. I recently purchased a WD 1T hard drive, when installed and I try to record, it says no disk found. Although it does recognize a USB cable was inserted. The drive is in NTFS file format, do I need to change that to FAT32? Mikek
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 11:42:55 -0600, amdx <nojunk@knology.net> wrote:

>To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm >registration to a forum. > >"If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in >MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):" > > I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an >invalid answer", So I googled and found: >" 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second" >But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer". > Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s
Just divide the bit rate by 10 to get the net bytes/s will give quite correct results. Place remember the preamble, Ethernet headers and possible IP headers and possible TCP header, especially if 1500 byte standard Ethernet frames are used. With 9000 byte Jumbo frames, you might get slightly better than that. For practical purposes 10 Gbit/s is about 1 GByte/s.
> >Any ideas? > Mikek
On 1/24/2019 1:14 PM, upsidedown@downunder.com wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 11:42:55 -0600, amdx <nojunk@knology.net> wrote: > >> To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm >> registration to a forum. >> >> "If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in >> MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):" >> >> I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an >> invalid answer", So I googled and found: >> " 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second" >> But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer". >> Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s > > Just divide the bit rate by 10 to get the net bytes/s will give quite > correct results. Place remember the preamble, Ethernet headers and > possible IP headers and possible TCP header, especially if 1500 byte > standard Ethernet frames are used. With 9000 byte Jumbo frames, you > might get slightly better than that. For practical purposes 10 Gbit/s > is about 1 GByte/s. > >> >> Any ideas? >> Mikek >
10Gbit/s = 1GByte/s = 1000MByte/s Do you agree that 1GByte/s equals 1000MByte/s ? Google is showing me 10Mbps = 1250MB/s multiple times, but that didn't work as an answer. Mikek
On 1/24/2019 1:30 PM, amdx wrote:
> On 1/24/2019 1:14 PM, upsidedown@downunder.com wrote: >> On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 11:42:55 -0600, amdx <nojunk@knology.net> wrote: >> >>> To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm >>> registration to a forum. >>> >>> "If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps in >>> MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):" >>> >>> &Acirc;&nbsp; I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is an >>> invalid answer", So I googled and found: >>> " 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second" >>> But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer". >>> &Acirc;&nbsp; Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s >> >> Just divide the bit rate by 10 to get the net bytes/s will give quite >> correct results. Place remember the preamble, Ethernet headers and >> possible IP headers and possible TCP header, especially if 1500 byte >> standard Ethernet frames are used. With 9000 byte Jumbo frames, you >> might get slightly better than that. For practical purposes 10 Gbit/s >> is about 1 GByte/s. >> >>> >>> Any ideas? >>> &Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; Mikek >> > > > > > &Acirc;&nbsp;10Gbit/s = 1GByte/s = 1000MByte/s > Do you agree that 1GByte/s equals 1000MByte/s ? > > &Acirc;&nbsp;Google is showing me 10Mbps = 1250MB/s multiple times, but that > didn't work as an answer. > > &Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; Mikek
I got this from another group. It's worth a shot, when my time out ends. "If you're looking on an oscilloscope at the wire, the 10Gbit/sec does amount to 1250MB/sec in a sense. What's missing is an accounting of coding loss. More bits are used to encode the data, than you get to use. On USB3, a 10 bit long sequence of ones and zeros, represents 8 bits of user data. That's a 25% overhead for transmission on the physical media. ******* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0 USB3.1 Gen1 5Gbit/sec, 8b/10b encoded, 500MB/sec channel rate usable USB3.1 Gen2 10Gbit/sec, 128b/132b 10000 * 128/132 * 1 byte/8 bits = 1212.12MB/sec channel rate usable"
On 01/24/2019 02:14 PM, amdx wrote:
> On 1/24/2019 1:02 PM, bitrex wrote: >> On 01/24/2019 12:42 PM, amdx wrote: >>> To prevent spambots I need to answer this question to confirm >>> registration to a forum. >>> >>> "If USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 speed is 10Gbps, What is the speed of 10Gbps >>> in MB/s (Answer must include MB/s):" >>> >>> &Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;I thought it would just be Gig to Meg or 1000, but I ge,t "that is >>> an invalid answer", So I googled and found: >>> " 10 Gigabit Ethernet speed 10 Gbit/s = 1250 Megabytes per second" >>> But that also gives me a "that is an invalid answer". >>> &Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;Yes, I putting it in MB/s form, either 1000MB/s or 1250MB/s >>> >>> Any ideas? >>> &Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; Mikek >> >> Lol fuck that forum > > OK, maybe you can answer my question then. > &Acirc;&nbsp;I have Mediasonic HW150 digital Video recorder. > &Acirc;&nbsp;I recently purchased a WD 1T hard drive, when installed > and I try to record, it says no disk found. Although it > does recognize a USB cable was inserted. > &Acirc;&nbsp;The drive is in NTFS file format, do I need to change that to FAT32? > &Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp;&Acirc;&nbsp; Mikek
First thing to do is check the firmware revision and update the box to the latest firmware if you don't have that. Do you have any small Flash USB sticks lying around? Format one each way just to see if it recognizes _anything_. If it can't even do that then the problem is elsewhere. It looks like it's supposed to support both FAT32 and NTFS, and it hopefully does support NTFS HDDs because if it don't and you have to use FAT32 HDDs you'll be limited to a 4 gigabyte file size, which means you won't be recording at 1080p for more than a couple hours unless it splits files. The fact the amazon ad says that there's a hard limit of 2TB on external drive size makes me think that if it does support NTFS as it's supposed to that's due to wrong cluster size, maybe? Try formatting the drive at the minimum NTFS cluster size of 512 bytes instead of what I believe the Windows default is of 4k